Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

Guest guest

Strobes have been a consistently hot topic and I'm intrigued by them. I bought 10 last year but ultimately didn't use them. Which leads to my questions:

1. How many do you use? 10 didn't seem to create much of an impact?

2. How densely do you cluster them?

3. Mine seemed to, at least initially, start off all in sync which somewhat defeated the effect. Is it preferred to split them onto a couple of LOR channels, or does the flash frequency change after they're used a bit? I wouldn't expect to use them more than a couple of times in a 30-minute period.

Any suggestions on how strobes can be best used to add an effective and dramatic element to a display?

Thanks ...

I started with 10 and it looked good but not WOW. So I got 10 more and ran the past 2 seasons with 20...well 19 because one died. I spread them around in the trees and the on the front items in the display across the whole front yard and have been pretty happy with the effect.

With that being said, I just bought 20 more from another PC member who offered a bunch up for sale at a good deal. I will probably extend them around the house some more and just fill in some empty spots.

Check my videos to see how I used them.

www.imsirius2.multiply.net

Does anyone know where to get a simlar strobe to the one people seem to be using? Even if I had to buy a 1000 of them it seems like I could get rid of them on this site!

RW

I space my 30 strobes throughout the front of the house one the ground. It gives a unique appearance at different times.

I'm hoping to add then to the rest of the house to get a sparkling effect.

JonB256 wrote:

I did find this site, though. Looks like the same curtain strobe, but has a cord and costs $2 more. :)

http://www.epartyunlimited.com/curtain-strobe.html

Be careful about buying "similar looking" strobes. Darryl had his modified to give a faster flash rate. You will probably have to change a resistor on the one linked above to get it to flash at the same rate that Darryl's does.

J.

I bought mine from Action Lighting and they worked out great this year. I just screw them into a C9 line at the spacing I want and the magic begins. They seem to be sealed real well so no worries about the weather either.

• 1 year later...

How do you space them 4-5' feet apart? Do you take a standard string and extend the wiring? I can't find C9 sockets with greater than 18" spacing.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys know if the Strobes from Action lighting, flash as fast as Darryl's?

Also, what is the watt consumption rate of the Strobes? I will also be using 20 or 30 this year.

Thanks Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Hughes About synchronizing the strobs it can be done. In short....

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/strobe2.asp

This could be done by useing a relay or maybe a transistor To control L2, Q1, and T1.

Then Creat a master fireing bus to control the relay to each strobe.

Be shore to Isolate the master fireing bus to prevent Blowing-stuff-up.

I have not done this myself yet but I do have 4 strobs that I plan on doing this with.

I am 82% shore it can be done close to the outline.

Note: Strobes will take 120Vac and at-less doubles it to 240Vac.

We can go a bit more and slap some transistors, lm555s, miss, and 4017s ; make a basic cheap Sequencer

http://www.discovercircuits.com