Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting for Vista.

Guest guest

It has been a month since my computer died (thankfully, my drive and LOR files are o.k) and I have not been able to do anything with my LOR on my new Vista computer. I know Dan and the team are working on updates to the software that will run on Vista and it should be out soon. I almost went out this weekend and bought another computer with xp so I could continue working on this year's display, but then I figured that as soon as I got it home I would see that the update was ready.

Hi guys. I'm just curious what the Vista issue was. I ran the install on my fresh copy of vista, but haven't yet actually tried to control anything with it. I'm no planning to use vista on my show machine, but that being said, I'd like to be able to develop sequences and test them using a vista machine (also as a backup to the show PC)....

Thanks

Hi,

There are a number of little things with Vista. The only real show stopper is that Vista comes with Media Player 11 and WMP11 does not have the API we use in LOR. Thus music cannot be played...

The current Vista Beta for LOR has been out for a while and no major problems have been uncovered. A number of little "nuisance" things have been found. For example, Vista has made it easier for older applications to run by creating virtual environments but I consider that a kludge and we need to move the location we store files so we are not relying on a kludge to operate.

We will correct these little issues and complete the testing.... We cannot just make a change and release software. Things like the show player take at least a month to test.

You will see Vista compliant version out soon.

The Vista Beta Version 1.6.3 was released to a few testers that volunteered. I have been using it to sequence, and run test shows over the weekends to see if I have any problems. I haven't experienced any difficulties with it other than those discussed when it was released.

The issue with Version 1.6.1 has to do with the program being able to interface with the media player to play audio files. LOR 1.6.1 was reported to work with Vista to make animations but cannot play music files to make audio sequences. I was unable to get it to run when I installed it. I just removed it figuring it wouldn't work, then the next day Dan B. offered up the Beta.

jeff

LightORama wrote:

Hi,

...we need to move the location we store files so we are not relying on a kludge to operate.

Dan,

Is this related to the fact that you store the files in the "Program Files" LOR folder and Vista is upset due to the security concerns? I noticed when I tried to copy all the sequences and music in the LOR folder that the OS opened the (Confirm/Deny) dialog box. You know, the one made famous in the Mac commercials.

jeff

JJB wrote:

It has been a month since my computer died (thankfully, my drive and LOR files are o.k) and I have not been able to do anything with my LOR on my new Vista computer. I know Dan and the team are working on updates to the software that will run on Vista and it should be out soon. I almost went out this weekend and bought another computer with xp so I could continue working on this year's display, but then I figured that as soon as I got it home I would see that the update was ready.

Funny you should mention that your pc died. About a month ago, my laptop crashed (4th time) and had to reformat...I lost everything! I plan on using the laptop for running my show, but rather then take the chance on this happening again, I broke down and got another laptop. Needless to say...new pc's only come with Vista. I loaded the LOR software (demo), and as stated in the above posts, the music won't play. So I will just patiently wait until Dan has all the bugs worked out of the upgrade. :)

It must be only the windows media player 11 for Vista. I am 99% certain I have Windows Media Player 11 on my machine at home with XP Pro running LOR and it works fine, even did the video trick.

I am at the office, I will check to be certain when I get home, but I am almost certain it's WMP11.

I'm running Vista on my laptop, and I really do like it. I would like to be able to sequence on it, but it will only run the show is when I'm testing the lights. It's a good thing Vista went retail in Jan. Now you have at least six months to work on the bugs, and release LOR 2 :)

jeffmill wrote:

LightORama wrote:
Hi,

...we need to move the location we store files so we are not relying on a kludge to operate.

Dan,

Is this related to the fact that you store the files in the "Program Files" LOR folder and Vista is upset due to the security concerns? I noticed when I tried to copy all the sequences and music in the LOR folder that the OS opened the (Confirm/Deny) dialog box. You know, the one made famous in the Mac commercials.

jeff

Yes... Vista has made the Program Files off limits... It has created a virtual area so it kind of looks like the files are in the Program Files folder but they are not really there.

All this computer talk is way to confusing...all I know is I will just wait for the new verison of the software to come out...:laughing: Thanks for the updates thought Dan.

Greg

I never liked keeping my work files in a program directory anyway. Far too difficult to keep everything backed up. I don't care too much for My Documents (or Documents) either.

• 3 weeks later...

BillyT wrote:

I never liked keeping my work files in a program directory anyway. Far too difficult to keep everything backed up. I don't care too much for My Documents (or Documents) either.

I concur wholeheartedly! However, the "MyDocs" tends to make it easy for us nerd types to recover the stuff lost by the un_nerd_like folks when their machines crash.

LightORama wrote:
Snip...You will see Vista compliant version out soon.

Any news Dan? Just wondering...

Thanks,

jeff

jeffmill wrote:

BillyT wrote:

I concur wholeheartedly! However, the "MyDocs" tends to make it easy for us nerd types to recover the stuff lost by the un_nerd_like folks when their machines crash.

LightORama wrote:
Snip...You will see Vista compliant version out soon.

Any news Dan? Just wondering...

Thanks,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

We are just about there.... The modifications are finished and we are running some tests.

Dan

LightORama wrote:

Yes... Vista has made the Program Files off limits... It has created a virtual area so it kind of looks like the files are in the Program Files folder but they are not really there.

Sounds cool, you are using the latest and greatest WMP. Let me ask, I have peeked and poked around with your competition's sequencing product and I notice they inbed their own self contained developer's pack of Windows Media Player 7 and apparently the software has had no issues with Vista. I dont use Vista like I didnt want to use XP until its matured (been around a couple years and all bugs fixed).

I take it LOR uses the currently installed WMP or does it embed WMP 11 within it?

BTW, I took a good look at a buddy's more recent LOR software with the wave form display.... really good, I know people have been asking for that of sequencing softwares for 8 years now, good to see someone has finally implimented it! Is that more of a feature of newer WMP versions or just good WMP visualizer programming that would have worked with any of the old WMP updates?

Joseph Ayo wrote:

LightORama wrote:

Sounds cool, you are using the latest and greatest WMP. Let me ask, I have peeked and poked around with your competition's sequencing product and I notice they inbed their own self contained developer's pack of Windows Media Player 7 and apparently the software has had no issues with Vista. I dont use Vista like I didnt want to use XP until its matured (been around a couple years and all bugs fixed).

I take it LOR uses the currently installed WMP or does it embed WMP 11 within it?

BTW, I took a good look at a buddy's more recent LOR software with the wave form display.... really good, I know people have been asking for that of sequencing softwares for 8 years now, good to see someone has finally implimented it! Is that more of a feature of newer WMP versions or just good WMP visualizer programming that would have worked with any of the old WMP updates

LOR uses the installed version of WMP... We did it that way because of issues with WIN98 machines...( I do not recall the exact issue but including the WMP file caused problems ).

It turns out that in the end, most of the work for Vista was not with the media player but to get rid of dependence on Vista's kluge that "allowed" non-vista applications to run by using virtual relocation of files and registry entries. It was a fairly quick change to resolve the WMP issue but rather than just say that we run on Vista we decided to actually run "correctly" on Vista. By not relying on Vista's built in kludges we will eliminate future issues and headaches.

The Wave Form has nothing really to do with WMP. It is custom code that directly reads an audio file.

LightORama wrote:

Joseph Ayo wrote:
LightORama wrote:

BTW, I took a good look at a buddy's more recent LOR software with the wave form display.... really good, I know people have been asking for that of sequencing softwares for 8 years now, good to see someone has finally implimented it! Is that more of a feature of newer WMP versions or just good WMP visualizer programming that would have worked with any of the old WMP updates

LOR uses the installed version of WMP... We did it that way because of issues with WIN98 machines...( I do not recall the exact issue but including the WMP file caused problems ).

It turns out that in the end, most of the work for Vista was not with the media player but to get rid of dependence on Vista's kluge that "allowed" non-vista applications to run by using virtual relocation of files and registry entries. It was a fairly quick change to resolve the WMP issue but rather than just say that we run on Vista we decided to actually run "correctly" on Vista. By not relying on Vista's built in kludges we will eliminate future issues and headaches.

The Wave Form has nothing really to do with WMP. It is custom code that directly reads an audio file.

Something of a curiousity to see if the wave version picks up on as many file types as WMP, lets say as experimenters begin putting video to LOR, will the wave for display audio waves with a video format file?

I understand that video can be pulled off with any of the sequencing softwares but its something of as you say a kludge. Is in sync video for LOR something you've considered officially supporting so any configuration of video cards could do the full screen video on monitor #2 or similar?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Something of a curiousity to see if the wave version picks up on as many file types as WMP, lets say as experimenters begin putting video to LOR, will the wave for display audio waves with a video format file?

Yes, it does.

jeff

• 2 weeks later...