Light-O-Rama Forums

5000 strands newbie

Guest guest

so i put up minimum 5000 mini strands on the trunks of trees in my yard installed permanently....then i find out about lor....question 1 is power.....since i do not have any yet.....i know i will need about 6 400 amp services to do the power thing....do i split my service into the yard into 20 amp fuses at the box so i can use lor efficiently...i spent 2 years putting them up without thinking ahead....this is my first ever on any site ....i thank you...stu

If you operate at the high end of the tolerances, then the LOR will carry up to 15 amps on the controller (20 amps) if you build your own and use the proper extension cords.

Your power out to the lights extension cords will be rated for about 8 amps if you purchase a factory built controller from LOR. The power into the controller extension cords are rated for 15 amps.

You will need to calculate the amperage of the lights in order to determine how to balance the lights on the LOR. You may need to use multiple channels to control your lights without tripping the internal fuse of the LOR controller.

so power comes in through meter to my main power box..... my breakers then would be 15 amps if i use factory lor and/or 20 amps if i put kit together....would that be correct.....my ultimate goal is to have control of each tree which averages 400 to 500 watts each [each tree vertical strands about 3.5" apart around the tree].......[several hundred trees have been done like this].....i know this will involve eventually many many many controllers and i have read faq about lor numerous times and have downloaded their tutorial.....i have to decide about breakers now before i can proceed...i thank you

• 1 year later...

At 500 watts per tree you should be able to run 6 trees per 16 channel controller, more if all trees are not on at the same time, problem is you can't devide 6 into 16 evenly so 4 is the best you'll get At this point you are better off re-vamping your boards to 20 amps each side and then you could do 8 per board. Each of these boards is now going to need 2-20amp supplies to it but you can use a common ground if both of your hots are on different phases, using a two pole 20 amp breaker accomplishes this nicely. With all things working just right, each eighty trees would use 10 controlers and 400 amps (220 volt 200 amp service). Keep in mind, each tree will require the use of 2 circuts in the controllers and you are goung to need to buy stock in an extension cord company.:)

Hope this helps a little

Mike