Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone want to share sequences

Guest guest

I have a feeling this will be a long lasting debate. I completely understand why someone would not want to share. I spent 3-4 hours a night for weeks sequencing. After putting that much time and effort it almost feels like someone else would be "getting off easy" to get weeks worth of work in the time it takes DSL to download it.

However.... when I first started, I sequenced 5 songs before I got my 16ch controller. I then spent 3 days setting up tree's, lights and displays in the back yard and strung cords everywhere. I was so exited I almost couldn't wait to plug in the last few cords. All this just to find out my sequences sucked!!! I was so upset I was ready to throw everything in boxes and stuff it in the attic.

Then it came to me. When I first found Carson Williams video and first heard of Light-O-Rama I downloaded Carson's sequence to WIW. I literally stayed up all night replaying the video/animation side by side and applying what I learned to my own display. I re-did my 5 original sequences and think they came out great. So in my opinion, it would be hypocritical of me to not share what I have learned. But I completely understand someone else not wanted to share theirs.

That's just my feelings.

I just wanted to add a quick question. What if you wanted to sequence a song? What if you knew of someone else that had that same song already sequenced? Would you be interested in their version before starting at ground zero on the same song? You betchaaaaaaa. And don't fool yourself. You're curious as to how good it might be. Yes, you would. That's ok, it's human nature. But it's also human nature to share wealth upon each other too. Especially if it's friends here at P.C..

Just my thoughts,

Tom

I don't think I would want someone in my area using my work so that our displays did not seem alike but other then that what does it really hurt? Because you want to think that you have something so special that you do not want anyone else to have it? I wonder these people that are so protective of their sequencing and videos so that no one could copy them, are all of their elements thier original creations? In other words no one had better try to copy my sequence but hey how do you like my mini trees, mega trees and all the other elements that I put into my display that someone else came up with the idea of. Of course I will hear how that is different but is it really? I think this thread was started to ask for anyone that wanted to share not for someones opinion on doing it. Maybe we can move the moral and ethical topics of planet christmas to a different form for those who wish to preach.

overeazy wrote:

I don't think I would want someone in my area using my work so that our displays did not seem alike but other then that what does it really hurt?
Yes, I know I've said I don't like to share my sequences. I did once, however. To a friend around the corner. In fact, I told him to use it, and don't worry about modifying all that much.
If anyone noticed, they didn't say anything to me or him about it.

overeazy wrote:

I don't think I would want someone in my area using my work so that our displays did not seem alike but other then that what does it really hurt? Because you want to think that you have something so special that you do not want anyone else to have it? I wonder these people that are so protective of their sequencing and videos so that no one could copy them, are all of their elements thier original creations? In other words no one had better try to copy my sequence but hey how do you like my mini trees, mega trees and all the other elements that I put into my display that someone else came up with the idea of. Of course I will hear how that is different but is it really? I think this thread was started to ask for anyone that wanted to share not for someones opinion on doing it. Maybe we can move the moral and ethical topics of planet christmas to a different form for those who wish to preach.

After re-reading the post above several times, I think out of respect I will try to refrain from posting here on PC for quite sometime....

Remember....Family friendly, Positive, and Christmas-centric!:P

As a monitor I can have the last say in this thread... (It will be closed after this post)

I always find it interesting that there are so many people in the world that simply cannot deal with the fact that not everyone thinks alike!!!!

If someone wants to share a sequence with another then that is great... For what ever reason that is the way their mind works, they derive pleasure from acting that way and that is great.... Now there are other people that do not want to share their sequences. That is the way their mind works!!! They owe nothing to anyone. It is their work and unlike the other person it does NOT bring them pleasure to share so they do not do so.

Please understand sharing ones work actually bring pleasure to some and it does not bring pleasure to others!!! (People are not the same!!!) Some people want credit for their work, some could care less. Some people's favorite color is red some people it is a different color. Some people like fish (I do not!!!) It can be difficult to understand that another person's mind works differently than your own and that their way of seeing things is "different".

No big Revelation but in general people do what makes them comfortable and feel good.

People do not need to justify the workings of their synapses and we have no reason to question their way of thinking UNLESS THEY ARE DANGEROUS.

So gosh darn it, if people want to share their sequences good it may be helpful to others! If people do not want to share their sequences then it is their right to do so. Both groups are doing what makes them comfortable and what makes sense to them!!!

I sit back and watch people get emotional about things and rarely do I say anything. I understand that people are bound to have opinions that I disagree with.

Now a little story.

I was at a party one day ( 20 odd years ago ) and was talking to a fellow working on his PHD in Criminal Justice. He wanted to be a prison warden and was currently working as a parole officer. (so yes this is not something I would want to do but his mind is his and I respect his way of thinking .... but that is not the story)

We were talking about how different minds work and how hard it is to understand. As an example he told me about this very big, young guy that was in prison for beating up an 80 year old lady.

In his mind, the old lady was to blame because she did not let go of the purse and "forced" him to whack her!!!! Truly, honestly he though that it was all her fault!!!! Of course, I could not even comprehend how someone could think that way BUT SOME PEOPLE DO...

This demonstrates how extremely differently people can think!!! So think how trivial it is that one person wants to share their sequence and another does not! They are still basically the same type of person. The are only a "little" different. As I mentioned earlier, unless a person's way of thinking is dangerous then lets all be friends.

Chuck.s basic rules are great. My personal rule is that unless a person is dishonest, meaningfully hurts others or is simply dangerous then I will do my best to ignore our differences.