Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone want to share sequences

Guest guest

cdburner wrote:

I was hoping others would show and share some of their hard worked sequences.

Hey there,

Can you give me an idea of what season you might be looking for like Christmas, 4th of July, Halloween, Spring, Summer? What songs do you already have to share and maybe what you're looking for? If you want, PM me a list of what you have and what you're looking for. This is a pretty broad subject.

I'm always game for a share here and there.

Tom

I am interested in Christmas.
This will be my first year for Christmas Light Display.
I am pretty excited.
Getting sequences done so when I get my controllers, I can setup the rest.
I have:
Merry Christmas Everyone---Shakin Stevens
Santa's Back in Town-------Elvis
Leroy Redneck Reindeer-----Joe Diffie
Are you interested?
If so, email me and I will send them to you.
AL Terry
cdburner@sbcglobal.net

You might find that a lot of people are very protective of their sequences.

The best way to learn how to sequence songs is to simply get started and practice. Looking at other sequences can help you figure out how to 'write' a certain effect into the sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not trying to be critical, i get a wealth of information from this chatroom, but i dont understand this quote "very protective of their sequences". Ive seen it used in here several times and dont quite understand what it means. Is it because you use your sequences every year? If so then i understand the quote, i would be surprised that the average person here uses the same sequences again the same year. If it isnt being used again why not share it so all the hard work that the individual put into it wont go to waste. Would anyone care to elaborate on this subject, do most people use the sequences again? I would love to know.

dougd wrote:

I am not trying to be critical, i get a wealth of information from this chatroom, but i dont understand this quote "very protective of their sequences". Ive seen it used in here several times and dont quite understand what it means. Is it because you use your sequences every year? If so then i understand the quote, i would be surprised that the average person here uses the same sequences again the same year. If it isnt being used again why not share it so all the hard work that the individual put into it wont go to waste. Would anyone care to elaborate on this subject, do most people use the sequences again? I would love to know.

This has come up many times. Hopefully, we can keep this thread postive.

I've said many times the point of sharing a sequence is to help others learn how to convert what you see in your mind into those little squares on the screen.

Now, some people who have shared their sequences have felt that others (who may or may not be members of PC) used large (and I mean very large) portions of their sequence for their own display.

dougd wrote:

It is a very individual thing...
Some do use their sequences (or some of them) every year...
Some use all new sequences each year...
Some people enjoy sharing their work and artistic creation with others...
Some are very protective of their work and artistic creation...

It is like any other creative endevour... the "artist" has the right to do what he sees fit with his work. ;)

If he wishes to, and offers to share it, and it is his sole work and efforts then others can learn from, modify, and or use it. (Giving proper credit to the author is always in good taste too)

If someone wishes to keep it for themselves, to be unique, those wishes should be respected and those works should not be "reverse engineered" or plagerized.

Very few sequences will "drop" into someone elses display without quite a bit of rework.
As Don mentioned, using the shared sequences to help you understand HOW to make your OWN is really a terrific approach. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your own sequence that YOU have created come to life for the first time!
(Or the 100th time!) :P

No one is at a "crunch" time at this point (in March) so we all have plenty of time to work on creating our own sequences. I only point this out since some people have been known to share a sequence or two to help newbies who got a late start.
(ME, my first year! LOL!)

These folks "own" their "art" and whatever their wishes ARE they should be honored.

There is nothing wrong with either approach IMHO...

We are all individuals, and respecting someones wishes for their creations is a very positive way to help each other with our display efforts!:)

I hope this helps...

Terry

Many have posted on http://lorsequences.com. You can learn from these, convert these, and use these without worrying about the copying aspect. As mentioned before, be respectful of those who are not interested in sharing. Once you become good at this hobby and have some masterpieces of your own, you will understand why people tend to be protective of their work.

If I may chime in...I think it's great that some people are willing to share "their" sequences! And I want to personally thank anyone who chooses to share!!! But, I don't want to try to copy their sequence for "my display", in my book, it would not be something that "I" created. My reasoning for downloading someone else's sequence is so that I can learn from what that person did and then try to incorporate that knowledge into my "own" display. Like many others here, I am new, but I want my display to be "my creation", not someone elses. To date, I have only one song sequenced and it's unique to me, as will be the other songs I sequence.
Just my 2 cents.........

Jeff

I agree with you JP. This will be my first year using LOR, and I haven't even completed ONE sequence yet. But I can certainly understand the work that goes into a complete sequence and why someone wants to hold onto their creation. But like you said, I sincerely appreciate those that have shared. I myself have downloaded and studied some with differing numbers of channels just so I could see how an effect looked in those "little square boxes":laughing:

In my opinion, no two displays are going to be alike. Other than a mega tree, the layout will vary greatly from display to display. So the liklihood of someone elses sequence actually working for me is pretty slim anyway. Part of the reasoning behind getting into this was to allow MY creativity to flow and come up with my own look and my own sequences. I hope that at some point, I can find some little something that someone else can use.

thats my two cents :waycool:

Next year will be my first light display. I don't understand how downloading someones sequence would help me. Now watching videos has helped me with what makes a display look nice. I have learned I like fades more than blink on or off but I don't think looking at a sequence would teach me that. I do understand why some don't want to give their work away, if you go to different web sites and watch the videos a lot of people do use the sequence over they usually have added more lights to it or changed their display set up around.

RJ

RJTexas wrote:

Next year will be my first light display. I don't understand how downloading someones sequence would help me. Now watching videos has helped me with what makes a display look nice. I have learned I like fades more than blink on or off but I don't think looking at a sequence would teach me that. I do understand why some don't want to give their work away, if you go to different web sites and watch the videos a lot of people do use the sequence over they usually have added more lights to it or changed their display set up around.

RJ

RJ,

Go back and read what I wrote. In my opinion, the value of sharing a sequence is to see how to create the effects. Some people, (even me getting started) have a hard time taking what we see, and converting it to those little squares.

My 2 cents,

I think that most folks looking for a shared sequence is looking more for timing of a sequence rather than a complete sequence. Getting the timing in those little blocks takes a bunch of time and some might be off a little. But it can be easily corrected if it's not totally off thru-out the sequence.

When I receive a shared sequence, I don't care what the original creator did to their bushes or trees, roof or yard in the sequence. All I look for is the timing and MOST of the time, I'll change or add in marks where others might have missed or didn't mess with. Once I complete the sequence for MY OWN DISPLAY, then I can call it MY OWN WORK because it won't look like anyone elses. The beat/timing of that particular song doesn't change with each person (it will always be the same), it's their layout of their display that changes. I will give credit to the person that original sent me the sequence but will explain it was totally different than it is now. Because it's "MY" display they're seeing in action, not anybody elses.

A sequence with timing already there (like Marty Slack and others that have provided in the past) saves a lot of time.

Time is charished in our world. At least mine.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

My 2 cents,

I think that most folks looking for a shared sequence is looking more for timing of a sequence rather than a complete sequence. Getting the timing in those little blocks takes a bunch of time and some might be off a little. But it can be easily corrected if it's not totally off thru-out the sequence.

When I receive a shared sequence, I don't care what the original creator did to their bushes or trees, roof or yard in the sequence. All I look for is the timing and MOST of the time, I'll change or add in marks where others might have missed or didn't mess with. Once I complete the sequence for MY OWN DISPLAY, then I can call it MY OWN WORK because it won't look like anyone elses. The beat/timing of that particular song doesn't change with each person (it will always be the same), it's their layout of their display that changes. I will give credit to the person that original sent me the sequence but will explain it was totally different than it is now. Because it's "MY" display they're seeing in action, not anybody elses.

A sequence with timing already there (like Marty Slack and others that have provided in the past) saves a lot of time.

Time is charished in our world. At least mine.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Just my thoughts...
(And with the utmost respect Tom);)
I agree that timing is something that many look for when looking for a shared sequence... It is in my opinion the most time consuming part of creating a sequence.
I do think however that after veiwing up to 6 or more original sequences of the same song that even though the BEAT should be the same in all of them, that from what I have seen the actual timing cues may be totally different.
Ignoring errors and missed cues, they may all be "right" it is just that the person doing the cues was going for a particular effect, or feel, or paying attention to a particular aspect of the music. (The "Art" if you will....)
Marty Slack shows in his shared sequences his skill as a musician in being able to create totally seperate "tracks" for each aspect of the music...Rhythm, Melody, etc.
No matter what I change or do to a "Marty" sequence, or how I apply it to my display, it is still adapted from a "Marty" sequence and I would acknowledge that fact.
After watching videos for a while of displays you can "see" shared sequences that have been modified heavily yet the original "flavor" still shines through...
(At least I can !:P)

Time is a very cherished thing...
However this is a time consuming hobby... and original "art" can't be rushed :)

With all that said....
If someone shares a sequence with you and gives you permission to use it at will,
GO FOR IT!:cool:

My interest in this topic is 2 fold. The first is obviously the sharing part. Without Mikes site lorsequences.com or the people that have shared here i wouldnt have had a display this last year. I wouldnt have had a person knock on my door and thank me personally for doing my christmas lights, bottom line is I suck at sequencing. I sit in front of that blank screen and i go blank, I dont know know where to start, 4 hours later i have 30 seconds done and dont know what to do next, all the options intimidate the hell out of me. Now when i download a sequence and have that in front of me, things start clicking, i see the timing, i start setting it up for my lights and the next thing i know i have a sequence. Sure, I copied someone elses hard work, but its now set up for my lights. The point of that story is without the help of people sharing sequences i wouldnt have made the 100's/1000's of people who paused for a moment and looked at my lights happy, I cant give them enough credit. I am not an artist, all i get out of this is making my children and there friends and who ever else stops and looks at my lights happy. If i was any good at sequencing, maybe LOR2 will help me with that ;), I would gladly share because not only did i make people in my own neighborhood happy, but possibly someone across the country happy also. I know this sounds like a load of crap and im not trying to make the people who dont share feel guilty, im just trying to stress the point that sharing sequences helps keep this scene going. So to end my thoughts on this, instead of letting those awsome sequences rot away on your hard drives give those of us "sequence challenged" an occasional bone :P.

I agree with all that have posted. Share or not share? That is up to the individual that made the sequences. I agree that some are not willing to share their hard work. Sure it took them alot of time to put them together, but it is just like anything else you have to learn. Some have done it on their own. Did most of you just jump in the car one day and teach yourself how to drive? When you were little, did you sit down and teach yourself how to tie your shoes?
I have a few sequences done, but after reviewing Richards sequencing, I said to myself, now if I knew this could be done like this, I wouldn't have to go back and redo what I have MADE MYSELF look alot better.
I didn't copy his work, I just redid mine with some help from him.
That is what we are referring to by sharing, is teaching us a better way to make our own work SHINE!
Sorry for the long post.
Al