Light-O-Rama Forums

Download my 2006 LOR Sequences

Guest guest

I have been meaning to get this online for a while and just got to it today. The link below is a zip file of all my sequences and songs for my 2006 Christmas Display.

http://www.tnisuccess.com/christmas/Christmas-2006-LOR.zip (11megs)

I am including the songs because all of them have been very heavily edited and it would be near impossible to try and use your own original versions.

Feel free to use these sequences and edited versions of the songs any way you want.

If you wish to see what these sequences look like on a real display, you can view them at

http://www.holdman.com/christmas/video.asp

Take Care!

-Richard

RichardH:
Thanks for the sequences.
I see I am going to have to redo some of my sequences.
You showed me a better way to sequence.
You have done some fine work with these.
Although my display(My First This Year)is only 32 channels,
I will be able to work these.
Again, many THANKS!!!
Al Terry

I just purchased and downloaded the LOR software to test it out and get started on my 2007 display. I also downloaded Richard Holdman's sequences and music. I watched the video and it was great - one of the best I have seen. My problem is that I can load Richard's sequence but can not get the music to load. I have only been an LOR user for two hours and I already need help. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Blair

elmochamp:
after you load the sequence, click the edit button on top, then click on audio file, then go to where you unzipped the files and choose the audio file that matches the sequence, then it will work.

i only got through 3 songs and they were GREAT!!! im not going to copy your sequences to my channel layout BUT i am going to apply your techniques (once i figure them out and master them of course lol) i LOVE your fades and chases...looking at your files then looking at mine...im about ready to redo 30 minutes of music...lol

Very generous Richard! You gave us all some great videos to watch and then released the work.

I hope other PC members follow your generosity, old PC dogs too!

-Glenn

GS wrote:

I hope other PC members follow your generosity, old PC dogs too!

-Glenn

Careful Glenn, you'll rattle the cage of the "purests" and set off that annoying old originality whine again :laughing:

Richard,

Your 2006 display was awesome! The cool vids of the time lapse traffic were out of this world. The big star, the doctored photo of you hanging from the gutter, everything... Awe inspiring. It was really a lot of fun watching all the stuff you shared with us all year. You're a credit to our PC family. Thank you, and Kudos!

I can't wait to hear how the gate problem turns out. I hope only the best for you.

jeff

Wow!

Richard how many channels are you using in your 2006 light show?

This fourth of July will be our first use of animated lighting and we thought it would be a good trial run for Christmas 2007. We are going to be using 32 channels for Christmas and I was wondering if you or anyone else if it will be difficult to adapt your sequences to 32?

Thanks,

Dennis

I am going to run 32 channels and have already(with some manuevering) adapted 2 of his sequences.
He has the same layout for mini trees as I have.
I saved my channel config., looked at his, counted down channel buttons to get his to line up with mine and they worked ok.
I had to change other buttons of his to adapt to mine.

Thank you everybody for your comments.

It took some time thinking if I should share all my hard work not only on the sequences but also editing the music which took a great amount of time. Christmas to me is really about giving and not expecting anything in return. I have learned many great things from others here and my display is a reflection of that. I thought I would kick something back to the others that are just getting started.

Also by doing this it forces be to sequence some new stuff and come up with some new ideas if I want to try and keep my display fresh.

A few things you will notice about my sequences in LOR.

After trying many methods of how to layout channels. You will notice that I group all my colors together. The reason for this is because it makes it very easy to Copy and paste patterns on my display that use different colors. Since my display uses Red, Green, and White on almost every object, it makes it easy to recreate patterns on different colors in the display by Just using Copy and Paste.

You will also notice that I have many channels that are called "NOTHING". These were created because there are some elements like the WireFrame trees that don't have individual channels for Red and Green on them. To make it easy to copy and paste between White, Red, and Green, I had to make sure that the copy and paste would be put in the right spots. Because I don't have certain channels on Red & Green but do on White, These "Blank" Channels were created so when using the Copy and Paste commands, they would be pasted into the right spot.

Hope that makes sense.

You will also see that I create "Beat Channels" and there are a few of them throughout the sequence so I can see them all the time.

Another thing you will notice is that I do all my timing in .05 instead of the default of .10 and there is a reason for this. Now .10 timing is fine if you are just turning lights on and off but having quicker timing is very important when doing chase sequences. The shorter your timing, the "smoother" your chases are going to look.

Think of Animated TV shows and movies you might see. If you watched a lot of saturday morning cartoons when you where a kid you will notice that some just seem very "jerky" (Remember "The Transformers"). The animation was just not smooth. Now compare that to a Disney movie. The difference is how many frames they are using per second in their animation. Some Saturday Morning Cartoons may only use 10 frames per second and a Disney one may use 24 frames per second. When you do chases, you are really dong an animation and the more "frames" per second you use, the smoother it will look. So when I use .05 timing, I am doing 20 "frames per second". Of course you also need a display with a ton of channels to do smooth chases because each channel is going to be "a frame"

Also I have notice that if you fade out your chases, it gives it more of a smooth feel, in the clip below you will notice that the light comes on but then fades out which is more pleasant to the eye.

http://www.barncow.com/christmas/houseloop.swf

Another tip that I wish I knew at first was to have some lights looked up to a controller as you are working on your sequence. I spent hours and hours working on some stuff and then when I tried it out, it just did not look the same as it does on the visualizer. As many of the pros on this board will tell you, it is best to have a controller hooked up to your computer with many lights connected as you sequence so you and see how fades are going work. This is really important if you are doing multiple colors on trees and trying to fade from one to the next.

If anybody has any questions about my sequences, feel free to ask.

-Richard

nettnut wrote:

Wow!

Richard how many channels are you using in your 2006 light show?

This fourth of July will be our first use of animated lighting and we thought it would be a good trial run for Christmas 2007. We are going to be using 32 channels for Christmas and I was wondering if you or anyone else if it will be difficult to adapt your sequences to 32?

Thanks,

Dennis

I used 80 Channels. After about a week though I had some Flood light and water problems and it blew out of one my channels so I had to switch a few things around and only run 79. Lesson learned to always have 1 or two spare channels that you are not using in case one of your channels go crazy and you have to move it to a different controller.

If you are only using 32 Channels though, don't feel you have to keep one free incase something like that happens. Most the time it will not.

-Richard

cdburner wrote:

I am going to run 32 channels and have already (with some manuevering) adapted 2 of his sequences.
He has the same layout for mini trees as I have.
I saved my channel config., looked at his, counted down channel buttons to get his to line up with mine and they worked ok.
I had to change other buttons of his to adapt to mine.

It is always a challenge to try and adapt another sequence to your own. The problem is nobody's layout is the same and sometimes it ends up being more work to try and convert a sequence to your own display.

I figured that some people like yourself though could use some of the concepts.