Light-O-Rama Forums

How to mount CCBs to roof/gutter

mmaness

Okay, CCBs are on order. Now comes the next part .. figuring out how to mount the danged things to the roof line and gutters. GE Color Effects comes with mounting clips, but CCBs don't. Anyone have any ideas (bright or otherwise) on how to mount them?

you can look in electrical supply an find low cost mounting hardware as in my case i have to be able to remove it if i move from this location

i have found also in cable mounting hardware as well

This is what I did with my regular C9 lights on the gutters, and it should also work for CCB's. I took some 1"x4"x8' wood, primed then painted it with dark exterior paint, then used S-mount clips (1 clip per light bulb, with a single screw into the board) to mount each light. Then I added one bicycle hanging hook near the end of each board. My main gutter section is about 27 feet long, so I ended up with three each 8 foot boards plus a short 3 footer at the end. I used full length wires across the entire 27 feet, so I have to keep the boards together when storing them, but it only takes a few minutes to put them up/take them down. I can't take credit for the idea -- found it online years ago. Oh, in my case I used 4" wide boards because I mounted 4 strings of lights side by side -- a 1"x2"x8' would probably work for a single strand of CCB's.

I still don't have a proven solution for roof lines, but I'm thinking about using 3 or 4 pieces of 12"x12" plywood and cutting v-shapred notches in them so they can straddle the peak of the roof. I'd attach those boards to 1"x2" wood strips, which the lights will be mounted to. Probably attach another 1"X2" strip on the other side of the plywood pieces for stability. I would plan on using sandbags to keep the assembly in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing this with my dumb RGB strips.. slipping the strips inside 3/4" PEX (Lowes Vanguard, $5/10'; HD Sharkbite, also $5/10') cold-water drinking pipe.. the color shining thru the pipe is amazing!! You could zip-tie the CCRs to 1/2" or 3/4" PE (thin wall) or Sched40 (thick wall) pvc pipe.. Once thats done, get a BUNCH of spring broom clips, the kind that separate when you push the handle into them.. slide them off the long bar, screw them to the front of your eaves/rafters. Then push the 10' (or 16' ttl length) pvc pipe with the CCR/RGB Strip zipped to it, into the clips on the front of your eaves. Goes up in like 5 minutes

http://www.homedepot...ps#.UDL7kd1lREM

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

:) not only that but this idea will work for the upright stuff and the faces as well :) make the swap out for displays faster :D

thanks TJ

Great idea, TJ .. thanks. If/when LOR ever gets the CCBs assembled and ready to ship (and that's starting to look like a long wait) I'll give it a try.

Mike Maness

I saw this broom clip idea on YT a couple yrs ago, watched as one guy, mounted his entire light set across his house (1 story ranch) in abt 4 minutes.. Mike, it isnt just for CCRs or Bs either.. minis, Cx's, LEDs.. any type of strips/strings will work mounting this way.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I'm doing this with my dumb RGB strips.. slipping the strips inside 3/4" PEX (Lowes Vanguard, $5/10'; HD Sharkbite, also $5/10') cold-water drinking pipe.. the color shining thru the pipe is amazing!! You could zip-tie the CCRs to 1/2" or 3/4" PE (thin wall) or Sched40 (thick wall) pvc pipe.. Once thats done, get a BUNCH of spring broom clips, the kind that separate when you push the handle into them.. slide them off the long bar, screw them to the front of your eaves/rafters. Then push the 10' (or 16' ttl length) pvc pipe with the CCR/RGB Strip zipped to it, into the clips on the front of your eaves. Goes up in like 5 minutes

http://www.homedepot...ps#.UDL7kd1lREM

TJ

Did you seal the ends of the PEX or leave it open to drain?

Thanks!

The other tj

I saw this broom clip idea on YT a couple yrs ago, watched as one guy, mounted his entire light set across his house (1 story ranch) in abt 4 minutes.. Mike, it isnt just for CCRs or Bs either.. minis, Cx's, LEDs.. any type of strips/strings will work mounting this way.

I really like this idea, just don't think I want these broom clips sticking out of my house all year long. Do you paint them? Remove them?

i imagine it would be possible to get the broom clips individually an by the box (100) i think

and they can be painted to blend into the color of the house to hide them when not in use

Several things here:

I havent got the clips yet.. Sat / Sun / Mon are my days off, so Saturday I'm going to HD to grab some.. I may try to find some online in quantity before then.. Two things to consider for mounting the clips:

1) Put them under the eaves, so the strips/tubes "wash the walls" or

2) On the face of the eaves with a single galv drywall screw in each.

Clip spacing, most likely 3 or 4 clips per 16' strip length (4 to 5-ish feet apart).

If I mount under the eaves, they wont be painted (they're vinyl-clad I think),

if on the eave face, then their base painted to match the eaves, clips painted white to match the tubing.

Mounting down, (bottom of the rafter), or out (on its face) I'll experiment with, I'd prob put them "out" as they'll replace my white & blue icicles. Pointing them down, if zipped to the outside of the PEX will allow them to wash the walls and ground, as these are really bright.

As for sealing the PEX, the minumum strip you should get are IP65, waterproofed, or IP68 submersable. Mine are IP65, so I'm not really worried abt it.. it rains lots more Nov/Dec than Sept/Oct anyway.. If I am going to seal the tubes, it'd be just at the top using a 45deg pvc elbow to join the tubes going down opp sides of the eaves (at the peak) leaving the bottom open (for the wires). The vertical tubes that will line the sides of the house would get pvc caps or plugs on the top (bottoms open too)

A quick search I found one place with low profile clips, no prices listed tho.

http://www.gibsongoo...s.com/page1.htm

http://www.gibsongoo...s.com/page2.htm

These are smaller, lower profile, either stainless, or vinyl coated..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

'tried to edit "IP56, 66 or 67 is waterproof, IP68 is submersible", so I'm not terribly concered with the rain. You'd only need to cap the end thats exposed, really, for any type of light strips.

Don, would LOR be able to find those (your pix) clips in bulk?

I'm working on getting some in stock now. Don't know what LOR's plan are.

Here is a link to the company, and their store. Everyone who sees the quantities offered, know this company isn't geared toward the individual residential market. They market more towards the companies who do the installation. This would be why the quantities are so high.

Here is a link to the company, and their store. Everyone who sees the quantities offered, know this company isn't geared toward the individual residential market. They market more towards the companies who do the installation. This would be why the quantities are so high.

Don

Since the CCB's do not unscrew from the base, do the bulbs pop through the hole on the clip? In your picture, the bulbs look slightly larger than the hole.