Light-O-Rama Forums

Backup Plan - Have One?

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

I'm setting up a hypothetical situation in case disaster strikes your light show. What would you do if the following occurred...

FM transmitter quit working

Controller(s) fried

Power Supply died

Pixel Bridge burned out

DMX adapter quit

LOR adapter quit

Show PC crashed

Lost all sequence files

Director Card hosed

Fuses continue blowing

And the list goes on but I feel these are the most important.

This gives something to think about in a worst case scenario.

I have a back up for power supply and spare E681 thanks to you. I have a show PC and my main that can be quickly cabled up if need be and sequences are shared on both. Those items I can work without.

The FM transmitter I will be SOL if that were to happen.

If a IC pixel dies in the middle of a show, Im not going to be happy when potentially 168 pixels from that string decide they arent working for free anymore. They are not fun to fix or diagnose.

My worst case scenario this year will be the lightning has been insane this year would be lose all of it in one hit when Im at work unable to disconnect everything from the grid before its too late.

I'm setting up a hypothetical situation in case disaster strikes your light show. What would you do if the following occurred...

FM transmitter quit working - I have a backup

Controller(s) fried - I have several spares

Power Supply died - On what? The house?

Pixel Bridge burned out - Dont have. Dont need

DMX adapter quit - Dont have, dont need

LOR adapter quit - Spare ordered from sale and on the way

Show PC crashed - Drink beer - then replace with spare

Lost all sequence files - wont happen. have redundent backup of thumb drives

Director Card hosed - don't use but have on hand for friend that needs one

Fuses continue blowing - drink beer and troubleshoot - drink beer and fix or replaced problem child - drink beer

You forgot about one - wife walks out on you during holiday messy season. - drink beer and enjoy the show. :lol:

This gives something to think about in a worst case scenario. - Some very good points to think about. I'll drink to that :)

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

Controller(s) fried

Power Supply died

Pixel Bridge burned out

DMX adapter quit

LOR adapter quit

Show PC crashed

Lost all sequence files

Director Card hosed

Fuses continue blowing

All at one time? I would get a new hobby!!

The most important thing to remember is have a back-up of everything you can, have spares of everything you might need, and be prepared for what you don't think of.

I couldn't count how many times I've uttered the words "I've never seen that happen before"

Scott

Great question (and point). Last year (year 1 for me), I had so many single point failures in my system, I shudder to think what could have happened. I didn't have any spare channels, much less a spare controller. I had only 1 FM transmitter. I had only 1 RS485 dongle.

This year, I'm trying to be a little wiser. I think I have an extra of most things. I even have a couple extra mini trees all built up. That way if i get a strand that goes out, it's a 2-minute fix for the show and I can repair the broken strand from the warmth of my basement.

I think my only exception is my standalone audio board I'm using in my donation box prop. This thread worries me enough that I think I'm gonna buy a spare for that too. Don't tell the wife. :)

I have spares of everything except the transmitter At that point i would either buy another, or just turn off the sign and go static. :(

As much as this is posted I finally took the time to take note and see what I needed..."just in case" The only things I don't have at this point are some spare fuses...(radio shack) and a spare transmitter......I just hate buying something I already have instead of something new! But, I can only blame myself at this point if the transmitter goes...

Get a cheap Chinese one just in case.

yep, I have a modified Belkin (extended antenna) which works good for a back-up.

I can't see not spending so much money (thousands of dollars) on a animated light show and not have a $30 spare part.

Now everyone knows what you want your Christmas present to be.... BEER!

That would be correct.

If all that happens at once, I'm converting to Judaism and forgetting about Christmas shows. I can put a menorah in the window instead.

Yeah, but with a few small modifications, you can make that menorah work with LOR.... maybe a single RGB pixel for each of the candles... It could be pretty cool with a little imagination... Get working on it! Show us pics!

D.T.

Just pull the plug, buy yourself a case of BEER and watch the cars go by..

What fun is that. Why not just leave everything plugged in and drink beer watching cars go by?

Guest Don Gillespie

I would pack up and go see santas helper I would save money on beer because it sounds like he has a lot, I would watch his show and drink his beer as long as he would allow me to :P

• Like 2

I would pack up and go see santas helper I would save money on beer because it sounds like he has a lot, I would watch his show and drink his beer as long as he would allow me to :P

Come on over Don. I hate to watch cars alone. :lol:

I do pace myself on the beer though. It gets awefully cold after falling asleep in that chair outside. ;)

I didn't say "passing out" as I would hate for anyone to think I have a problem or anything like that.

Edited by Santas Helper

Guest Don Gillespie

Come on over Don. I hate to watch cars alone. :lol:

I do pace myself on the beer though. It gets awefully cold after falling asleep in that chair outside. ;)

I didn't say "passing out" as I would hate for anyone to think I have a problem or anything like that.

LMAO

Controller(s) fried

Power Supply died

Pixel Bridge burned out

DMX adapter quit

LOR adapter quit

Show PC crashed

Lost all sequence files

Director Card hosed

Fuses continue blowing

This gives something to think about in a worst case scenario.

I'd wake up!!! :D

Backups....

FM transmitter quit working I have a backup!

Controller(s) fried I have a backup!

Power Supply died I'm not sure whats this is used for?

Pixel Bridge burned out I'm not using.

DMX adapter quit I'm not using.

LOR adapter quit I have a backup!

Show PC crashed I have a backup!

Lost all sequence files I have them all backuped on Dropbox!

Director Card hosed I'm not using.

Fuses continue blowing Replace controller with spare.

if you fell asleep in the yard just have a few pixels pointed in your direction and the driver byes will think your part of the show :P;):D