Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about the LOR Kit

Guest guest

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be adding to my Showtime 1602W this year and my neighbor wants in on the show as well so here is what I thought I'd purchase.

http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html
PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETEtrans_1x1.gif
(x2 maybe 3 one/two for me and one for my neighbor)

and one of these to communicate to my neighbors house.
http://store.lightorama.com/ealili.html

The questions I have are:

1) If my neighbor decides that he wants to run the show on his own without my gear driving his show; will the kit above run by itself without the 1602W Showtime unit?
I just wasn't sure if those units would run by themselves ((IE Connected to a Computer)) and would he be able to add to that unit later if he wants to add more channels.

2) Does the ELL connect to the PC or the 1602W card? Or does it matter where you connect the ELL to?

No rush on answers here, I'm holding out for the sale before I purchase this equipment.

Thanks in advance guys.
Planetchristmas has answered so, SO many questions for me.

-Evan

NWSanta wrote:

The questions I have are:

1) If my neighbor decides that he wants to run the show on his own without my gear driving his show; will the kit above run by itself without the 1602W Showtime unit?
I just wasn't sure if those units would run by themselves ((IE Connected to a Computer)) and would he be able to add to that unit later if he wants to add more channels.
These units are capable of being controlled by his PC, although your link did not show which product you are purchasing. It must be a "D" unit for stand-a-lone capability.

2) Does the ELL connect to the PC or the 1602W card? Or does it matter where you connect the ELL to?
Evan if you are coming to the NW Mini PLUS on 4/28 these units will be in operation. You need two ELLs, one hooked to the PC and the other some where in the chain of 1602s.
I will have units available for purchase at the Mini, LOR prices plus 3% for freight.

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to come to the mini this year but, can't find somebody to watch Junior for me.
Sorry the link didn't work I was looking at the DIY PC-CTB16PC-Complete Kit.
(Some assembly required... :D )

Hmmm so can the CTB16 Unit be controlled via the ELL?

Last year I had my showtime unit Hard wired via the USB to my PC and I was under the original impression that I could just add wireless to the existing board and pickup my neighbors unit. I'm glad I asked before I went through and purchased all this stuff.

So I guess my next question is can I have the Hardwire and the Wireless units running of the same computer?
How does the wireless plug into the PC if you have the USB to RS485 Convert plugged in as well?
Does the ELL just plug into another USB Port???

( Image care of LOR I just made a couple changes for query questions)
Cheers
Evan

lorlayout.jpg

NWSanta wrote:

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to come to the mini this year but, can't find somebody to watch Junior for me.
Sorry the link didn't work I was looking at the DIY PC-CTB16PC-Complete Kit.
(Some assembly required... :D )

Hmmm so can the CTB16 Unit be controlled via the ELL? YES

Last year I had my showtime unit Hard wired via the USB to my PC and I was under the original impression that I could just add wireless to the existing board and pickup my neighbors unit. You can.
So I guess my next question is can I have the Hardwire and the Wireless units running of the same computer? Yes I run 5 wireless and 11 more hardwired in various "cells" That is a wireless driving 1-5 1602s in an area.
How does the wireless plug into the PC if you have the USB to RS485 Convert plugged in as well? There are two RJ45s in the wireless unit, I have had success "splitting" by inserting a wireless between hardwired controllers.
Does the ELL just plug into another USB Port??? NO

In your drawing the only problem would be where you have the splitter box---put the ELL at this location or at the end of the last box which ever works for best transmission. The 16C will work fine with the ELLs. - - - Bill