Light-O-Rama Forums

Solder station - recommendations?

Guest guest

The soldering stations are nice but not necessary. As long as you have a circuit board vise any soldering you do can be handled by a good quality pencil type soldering iron. They're simple and cheap. If you were going into business soldering boards I would say go with the station but for a few LOR boards and a transmitter just get the pencil type and buy a couple of extension cords:D

Tip erosion is caused by the molten solder. It actually dissolves the metal (iron or copper) over time. I have always preferred copper tips, keeping them well tinned and always wiping them clean before use if they have been sitting with molten solder on them. A side effect of tip erosion is that if you don't clean that old solder off, any dissolved iron or copper will now be deposited on your new solder joint.

If you are using Tin/Lead solder, your joint should be SHINY! If it isn't, then your solder is either not hot enough, you "moved" the joint while it cooled or have contaminated solder.

If any of you are using Silver (no-lead) solder, you just have to live with dull solder. I'll start using no-lead when they come to my house and confiscate my hoard.:)

When a tip gets bad, you just file it smooth, re-tin it with lots of flux and solder, and continue on.

A cold joint is where the solder does not make good contact with the component lead and/or the printed circuit board pad. With a pro they usually occur when the component lead moves before the solder is completely cooled. With an amateur they most likely occur because poor heating/pre-heating of the surfaces to be soldered. Cold solder joints are a bad electrical connection.

Cold joints look bumpy and are dull gray... It is best to remove the old solder and re-solder the joint however if you re-heat the solder and you see it re-flow nicely then you are probably okay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...