Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing question/problem

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

UPDATE!

Andy sent me the MP3 and I must say it was way way way off in the Sequence Editor...Not Andy's work but the Sequence Editor's Visible Screen vs Entire Sequence. I re-encoded it without making any changes, same bit rate and it because 1 meg larger so my guess is that it was variable bit rate. The strange thing was the play time difference. When I hover the mouse over an MP3 file it gives a play time. That play time changed by 20 seconds with the re-encoded file.

I think that it will work OK now BUT the work Andy put into the sequence is pretty lost. Sorry:(

OK, I did my homework on a particular situation before asking a question. From reading the fix above (back in late December) and my situation which is very simular, especially on longer sequences. The longer the song plays, the longer the delay of animation versus the music, BUT if I play in "visible screen", it seems to be in sync. Since I took down my test lights, I can't test it right at the moment. Will there actually be a delay in the lights? Dan, what did you do to re-encode it and what was it that was re-encoded? Also, does the bit rate make a difference? How can I change it?

Tom

967andy wrote:

Like if I rip a CD using Windows Media player, I can't open that song using LOR, it doesn't recognize it or show it in the window so that I can open it when making a new squence.

Andy,

You can get LOR to use a windows media WMA file. It's just not preset to recognize that there are files of that type to choose from. Dan touched on this in another thread at an earlier time. I looked and couldn't find that thread, so I'll just tell you how I do it. But before I do I'll tell you something else he wrote that helped me immensely. LOR editor seems to work best with WAV files. I had two MP3 files that wouldn't sync at all. I converted them and they work fine now. OK now for the WMA files. Click on the filename for the WMA you want to use. Then click it again and it will go to the filename edit mode and highlight the entire filename. Now just hit ctrl and C at the same time to copy the filename into the windows clipboard. Now go start to create a new Musical Sequence and paste the filename into the dialog using ctrl and V at the same time(even though you can't see it in the dialog) it will then be displayed below that filename including the .wma extension. Click that filename and you can continue on as if it were any of the other file types. I hope this makes sense.

Jeff
PS my wife thinks I'm long winded too...

• 3 weeks later...

Santas Helper wrote:

LightORama wrote:
UPDATE!

Andy sent me the MP3 and I must say it was way way way off in the Sequence Editor...Not Andy's work but the Sequence Editor's Visible Screen vs Entire Sequence. I re-encoded it without making any changes, same bit rate and it because 1 meg larger so my guess is that it was variable bit rate. The strange thing was the play time difference. When I hover the mouse over an MP3 file it gives a play time. That play time changed by 20 seconds with the re-encoded file.

I think that it will work OK now BUT the work Andy put into the sequence is pretty lost. Sorry:(

OK, I did my homework on a particular situation before asking a question. From reading the fix above (back in late December) and my situation which is very simular, especially on longer sequences. The longer the song plays, the longer the delay of animation versus the music, BUT if I play in "visible screen", it seems to be in sync. Since I took down my test lights, I can't test it right at the moment. Will there actually be a delay in the lights? Dan, what did you do to re-encode it and what was it that was re-encoded? Also, does the bit rate make a difference? How can I change it?

Tom

Let me try this again, Dan? any suggestions?

dslowik wrote:

Dan,

How about another feature request. I think you can detect if you've got a VBR or CBR audio file programtically using the media player API. I'd suggest checking that when the audio file is picked or associated with a sequence. If it is variable rate, either don't let them use it or give a really big warning.
Good suggestion