Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Smart Strip Complete Package?

johnson8ryley

After reading on and off now for a couple of months about DMX, I've basically given up. I cant seem to wrap my head around anything. I'm wondering if any of you lovely people out in the LOR universe know of something like this http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB16D-RGB-Controller-ReadyToGO-No-Assembly-CMB16D-RGB-RTG.htm but for RGB smart strips. I'm pretty much asking for something similar to the CCR's +/- the strip. I'm tempted to buy CCR's due to warranty and how nice LOR has been in the past for me (had a controller go down one year, contacted LOR that night, got an email next morning saying they had shipped us a brand new controller overnight UPS shipping, no costs. Next day, had new controller and show up and running) but I'm quiet aware on how much money I can save if I build my own setup and considering the Summer Sale is upon us, well, those CCR's look might tempting.

Hopefully in the years to come, someone smart like HolidayCoro or CreativeLightingDisplays can put together a cheaper plug and play RGB equipment.

LOR makes a tidy package with an absurdly great warranty and customer support. As many of us are going DIY, they still hands down have the best plug and play you can get.

How much is your time worth and do you feel adequate to keep up with the rigors of DIY with relatively new technology?

If you're looking for something ready-to-go out of the box that works with LOR software, I'm unsure why you would even consider something other than a CCR/CCB/CCP?

Well, with this being my first year with rgb, I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to spend the time learning how to program rgb devices AND have to DIY. That being said, I have received tremendous help over at auschristmas and have switched from a possible DMX setup to a for sure E1.31. Its so simple, almost as easy as hooking up cosmic color devices. The only true wiring I have to do is for the power and connections. The rest is all cat 5.

Computer=>Cat 5=> standard ($64) pixel controller=>strip #1=>strip #2=>strip #3 with power being injected between each strip. The only reason I would consider something else other then a cosmic color device is because of the price. My setup will nearly be half of what I would've paid if I would've bought cosmic color ribbons. Someone with enough knowledge and time could easily undercut a cosmic color ribbon by $60 a pop and still make a profit off a similiar plug and play device.

The advantage of the cost of the CCP/R/B is simple peace of mind. It will work when you plug it in, if it does not, LOR will fix it and very fast. If you have a question about why it isnt working, why its not doing what you want it to do, LOR will in a matter of hours, sometimes minutes get you back on track. My computer had issues last year with some parts of the software, which Brain had to write something specific to my PC to get up and running. Out of the millions of people who potentially use LOR, he wrote a code for me. Took us a few tries, but he got it done and I couldnt be happier. Im not saying the DIY will not work. When you see my layout you will understand the statement below. Out of many strips of the DIY setup. A high percentage still needed attention in terms of resoldering LEDS, The ICs were loose and needed attention, or just bad quality of the entire strip. While a quick fix will get it running most of the time, what else in 2 months is waiting to come lose when its outside in the elements?

DO NO UNDERESTIMATE THE VALUE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN SOMETHING DOESNT WORK!

Well considering the strips are weatherproof and all the connections will be in a weatherproof box, just like how cosmic color devices controllers and power supplies are, I can't see much difference. The strips that you can buy online are very similiar, if not identical to the ones light o Rama supplies, the only difference being the proprietary controller they use. Chances are, I would have a failure with either ccrs or DIY strips down the road, say 3 years. Now, I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $36 for a new strip instead of having to buy a new cosmic color ribbon. Trust me, I know where you're coming from in terms of customer support. If you read my first post, you'll see why. Light o Rama shelled out $100 just for me. Those controllers are like 12 lbs and they overnight shipped one to me...for free! But I have the time and knowledge now to build it myself and if I want a successful show on the budget, DIY is the way to go. I wasnt ready to shell out $650+ just on 3 strips that can be cut with a pair of pliers. And I can get support from the forums as well. Last night I had a quick question about rgb power at about 1 in the morning. Got on auschristms, went to chat with other members, had my answer within 10 minutes. I would've received an answer around noon if I would've emailed LOR. And if I was able to receive that type of answer at 1 in the morning, I could probably receive 10x the support at noon or 3pm for more people will be on. And if I want to add more DIY rgb items in the future at even a cheaper rate, this is the way to go.

I might add that I live 3 blocks away from a school and my arches are about 5 ft away from the sidewalk. If I had kids kick down American flags when school WASN'T in session, I'm a little worried what they'll do to a $250 strip of lights that can be cut with simple tools.

Edited by johnson8ryley

Johnson8ryley

Would you have a site that i could look at for the strips and the set up that you are using looking to buy 7 ccr's in summer sale but if it's cheaper worth having a look at thank you Blair

Sysco I recommend taking a look at this thread over at auschristms. There are a few strips listed but I would recommend the 2811 strip. http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2514.msg22136.html#msg22136

If you need any clarification on how my setup may look, either reply to this thread or pm me.

Don't forget the Rainbow Pixel system from Seasonal Entertainment. Fully waterproof, in a waterproof enclosure and waterproof connections. So, yes, a company (unlike HolidayCoro or CreativeLightingDisplays) has already taken care of this.

Just to say: A lot of chinese strips that are advertised as waterproof aren't actually so you should be careful to check them out.

Really? I haven't heard that one yet. Usually when it says waterproof, they mean waterproof lol. If it comes in the plasticy enclosure then I should be all set.

Just to say: A lot of chinese strips that are advertised as waterproof aren't actually so you should be careful to check them out.

This can be true when talking about the IP65 resin drip type of strip that is often sold on ebay cheaply. The issue with this strip is that it is only coated on the top surface with only 3M tape on the underside. What happens over time is water will still get in and damage sections of the strip. This strip is OK to use if not heavily exposed to the weather.

Now silicone tube is also rated at IP65, but this is more due to the ends of the strip and not the strip itself. You can add silicone to the ends to easily ensure they are sealed. But I would definetly check the ends out of this type of strip to ensure it is sealed.

You then have solid silicone or solid resin type, this strip is rated at IP68 and can be used underwater, this is truely a waterproof design.

and finally you can get a combination of solid silicone/resin with silicone tube, This strip is IP68 and also has a strong construction. This is the most expensive coating and its starting to get harder to find now days as the solid silcone/resin type seems to do just as good of a job as far as weather protection.

So depending on the type of strip you buy will determine how good it is with being left out in the weather.