Light-O-Rama Forums

e1.31 distance limitations

timmydatoolman

I see a lot of talk about boosters, to overcome the distance limitation, but I have not seen anything actually stating what type of distance you can run e1.31 over without a booster? Can anyone provide some insight on this?

since e1.31 is Ethernet, it should have the same limitations that an Ethernet signal would. Theoretically the distance limit is 100 meters, although I've seen that vary depending on the quality of the networking components involved. For "boosters" you can just use a cheap hub or switch as well.

dave

Standard is 100m. If you have to go over that, the best would be to test the length you need, if it has too much loss or interferance then a bosoter (extra router or switch) would be your solution.

The best thing anyone can do is test, then test some more! There are many issues that will arise once the season starts if testing has not been done. Everyone's E1.31 setup will be different. There's gonna be a lot of surprised people in a few months when they try to plug in all their stuff and it doesn't work!

• Like 1

Also, don't get distance limitations for e1.31 (Ethernet) confused with distance limits for pixel strings (similar to SPI) which are totally different, and much shorter.

• Like 1

distance limits for pixel strings (similar to SPI) which are totally different, and much shorter.

???????

Can you explain

E1.31 is the control data (DMX data over ethernet) that goes from the show computer to the E1.31 controller/bridge. The SPI data is the control that goes from the E1.31 controller to the pixels themselves.

The below picture gives an example.

post-2287-0-94541200-1343941259_thumb.jp

It depends on the chipset of the pixels (ws2801, lpd6803, etc). But it is on the order of feet. I generally try to make sure my first pixel is within 10 feet of the controller. The chipset i mentioned above is the chip that is in each pixel. There are multiple kinds available, all with their pluses and minuses. The new ws2811 seems to allow a longer distance before the first pixel... Although i'm not sure how long.

One other technique that some controllers offer is the ability to add "null" pixels so that you can run longer lengths before the first pixel.

The overall length of a pixel string can be longer however because eaxh pixel (chip) repeats the signal.

Guys, the distance limitation is not necessarily the E1.31 signal. Most are injecting power in the CAT5/6 as well as DMX. It is the power main requirement that causes things to be kept as short as possible.

. The new ws2811 seems to allow a longer distance before the first pixel... Although i'm not sure how long.

From the specs that I've seen it seems that WS2811 Chips allow for a distance of 20 feet between controller and the first pixel.

Guys, the distance limitation is not necessarily the E1.31 signal. Most are injecting power in the CAT5/6 as well as DMX. It is the power main requirement that causes things to be kept as short as possible.

I'm curious who is injecting power in the cabling that actually is passing E1.31 signal.

I'm used to seeing power on the pixel string side, or DMX side, (depending on application) but not on the E1.31 side. Generally ethernet won't cary anything like the power you need for the channels you would usually drive with E1.31.

DMX, on the other hand, will cover quite a range, since it is balanced, and you might run signal and power to a 3 channel fixture over cat5.

But pixel strings are not RS-485, and not balanced signalling, and each pixel regenerates the data stream, so they really aren't designed for long distance transmission. The max distance will depend on the pixels, and the controller. My recollection is that for many pixel types, about 10 feet is common unless you take steps to regenerate the signal. Also, with pixel strings,lack of power usually shows up as fading and color shift towards the end, before you see operational issues..

I'm curious who is injecting power in the cabling that actually is passing E1.31 signal.

I'm used to seeing power on the pixel string side, or DMX side, (depending on application) but not on the E1.31 side. Generally ethernet won't cary anything like the power you need for the channels you would usually drive with E1.31.

DMX, on the other hand, will cover quite a range, since it is balanced, and you might run signal and power to a 3 channel fixture over cat5.

But pixel strings are not RS-485, and not balanced signalling, and each pixel regenerates the data stream, so they really aren't designed for long distance transmission. The max distance will depend on the pixels, and the controller. My recollection is that for many pixel types, about 10 feet is common unless you take steps to regenerate the signal. Also, with pixel strings,lack of power usually shows up as fading and color shift towards the end, before you see operational issues..

E1.31 is DMX. And you are correct, from Computer to Pixel controller, you are only carrying DMX. However, at the pixel controller, it is not uncommon to inject power there going out to your pixel strings. I know the E681 can do this, and not sure about the J1sys products.