Light-O-Rama Forums

Music timing recommendations for beginners

Beren97

What are your preferences for creating the timings in your music sequences? Beat wizard? Tapper wizard? Every 1/2 second?

I've been experimenting with the beat wizard but have noticed that I miss some of the "shorter beats" within the song where I want to create effects for my show....

I'm a fan of the Beat Wizard myself. For the majority of songs out there, the Beat Wizard will do the job nicely. Songs that change time signature somewhere in the middle of the song do tend to throw the Beat Wizard for a loop, though.

As for missing beats, you could also sub-divide the timing to get a mark where you need one. Be sure you are using a free form grid, though. A fixed grid will not let you modify the timing grid.

Whatever works for you.

Personally, I'm a Beat Wizard kind of guy also.

Sometimes, the best guide is the audio's wave form.

Edited by George Simmons

Beat wizard, then I usually "Use A Faster Related Tempo"...like 3X or 4X faster...depending on what elements in my display I plan on using.

For vocals, I use the Tapper Wizard mostly, although have used the VU Wizard at times for vocals, and then go back and do a little clean up/modification. I also use the beat wizard with different settings for light strings or other elements that are not going to be a focal point of the particular music I'm working on.

Edited by Slipstream

I'm old fashioned. I use the .05 grid slection through out every song to sequence with.

• Like 1

I'm old fashioned. I use the .05 grid slection through out every song to sequence with.

If in doing that, what do you do so your sequences do not all start looking the same or having the same beat pattern?

I'm with Tom... .05 seconds all the way across. To answer Jim's question, any blinking lights that are not in a heap on the ground or roof are good lights. :) But seriously, the 1/20 second timing gives you all the flexibility you need to create whatever you think looks good. Using the beat wiz would be fine if you can make it work, but I've messed with it on and off over the years, and I can never get it to put beat marks where I think they should go. (This coming from someone that is musically challenged). However, I think that the .05 grid gives you way more options than the beat wiz (unless you employ an alternate timing grid - just more work in my mind...)

As DT mentioned, the .05 or 1/20 gives flexibility.

But every song is different so there are different channels used at the start up of each song becuase of different instruments used.

Then there might be fades that start off a song or other effects.

Every song has their own character right off the bat.

I mostly use the audio wave form.I will also use several timings...03,05,06,07 etc.I use whatever timing lines up with the audios waveform.

I'm with Tom... .05 seconds all the way across. To answer Jim's question, any blinking lights that are not in a heap on the ground or roof are good lights. :) But seriously, the 1/20 second timing gives you all the flexibility you need to create whatever you think looks good. Using the beat wiz would be fine if you can make it work, but I've messed with it on and off over the years, and I can never get it to put beat marks where I think they should go. (This coming from someone that is musically challenged). However, I think that the .05 grid gives you way more options than the beat wiz (unless you employ an alternate timing grid - just more work in my mind...)

I've found the beat wizard works fairly decent with an 0.15 timing grid. Otherwise, I too, also use the 0.05 all across for my sequences now. Started originally using 0.15, but too many times the sequences looked a bit sporadic or like something that would give an epileptic fits. LOL

So now I'm a die hard 0.05 timing grid because it does give me better control of when and where I want the lights on or off. So, unless I'm using the beat wizard, it's always at 0.05!.

Edited by Slipstream

If in doing that, what do you do so your sequences do not all start looking the same or having the same beat pattern?

It actually depends on the song used Jim. I use 0.05 timing grid and have many different songs for my Halloween display, and they all do not look alike.

Like others I try and follow the waveform as best I can, and each song being different, so you shouldn't really have any sequences that look identical, although some may come close in some aspects, or part of a song, but I don't have a problem with small portions of one song looking like another. But none are identical to each other when I'm using the 0.05 timings.

• Like 1

I will also vote for the Beat Wizard to place a timing mark at every beat. I then name this timing "Basic Beat", and select a different timing if I need it. For example, I usually copy "Basic Beat" to another timing and call it "Fast Beat." I then select the entire row and subdivide the basic beats into 2 or 4. Sometimes I add a .03, .05, or .07 fixed grid depending on how I need to do fast chases.

The big advantage of a "Basic Beat" timing is you can set some events for a drum beat, and use "Paste Multiple" to copy it to the end of the song. You can't do that using a fixed grid because it will get off before the end of the song.

I also like the .05 timing as a starting base then use both the beat wizard and VU wave form. I then slow down the song's speed to listen with headphones to find the "extra" beats or sounds of various instruments and voice's. This has worked for me for the last couple years

You can't do that using a fixed grid because it will get off before the end of the song.

Steven, I will beg to differ with you in a way.

You start out the beat using .05 (in my set-up) for the first several seconds or so (maybe up to 15 or 30 seconds), copy and then paste though out the song picking the place to restart the beat at each starting point. At least it has worked quite well for me. But myself being musically inclined (playing the bass guitar and other instruments) might help, I still can place the beat through out the song pretty fast.

Just my opinion

Edited by Santas Helper

Steven, I will beg to differ with you in a way.

You start out the beat using .05 (in my set-up) for the first several seconds or so (maybe up to 15 or 30 seconds), copy and then paste though out the song picking the place to restart the beat at each starting point. At least it has worked quite well for me. But myself being musically inclined (playing the bass guitar and other instruments) might help, I still can place the beat through out the song pretty fast.

Just my opinion

Have to agree with Santa's Helper here. I do this as well and I've never lost any part of the sequence. If what I copy may "over-run" the end, that is cut off short, that's an easy enough fix. Been doing it this way for almost a year now and I've rarely had to "fix" anything. Occasionally, yes, but not every time.

I just want to add,

Obviously each option is a great tool. It really depends on each person and what they feel good with.

Each voice has their experience as to what works best for themselves and we gladly like to express them to give the best advise.

Maybe trying a little of each in a test song and see what you feel good about or what you are best to adapt to.

Once you get going in what ever method you choose, you become better at it with each sequence you create.

It does get easier. I promise.

Good luck and maybe let us know what worked best for you.

Tom

Beat wizard, then I usually "Use A Faster Related Tempo"...like 3X or 4X faster...depending on what elements in my display I plan on using.

This is what I do and go 4x faster. Works great!!