Light-O-Rama Forums

Successful Test Of An E1.31 Pixel Controller Running Wireless

Shubb

From what I read the general thought is running E1.31 through a wireless router will not produce desired results. However, I still need a way to run DMX/RGB devices across a street.

Obviously, the ethernet cable across the sidewalk and road isn't a good idea, so I took an alternate route.

I connected a ELOR to SanDevices E-681 running from a ELL. The test sequence and pixels were the same as I used for the mini Director set-up in this thread:

However, in this test I moved the lights, controller and ELOR outside and ran the sequence form a computer in the house. The ELL's were about 70 feet apart and separated by 2 stucco walls.

The sequence contained 4 Universes with 510 channels each (170 pixels)

I connected 3) 60 pixel ribbons and 2) 20 pixel strings and ran it for about an hour. I did see a couple of hung channels, but not many more than I had when I used the ELL to run 48 channels. It was a very busy sequence, full of 510 channel chases, color fades, long ramp up/down and twinkle. Since I was running far more channels than I intend to have connected, I'm sure it will work for the show.

Here is a short video of the test.

(Sorry for the small video, that's what I get for having the wife video with an ipad.)

Scott

Scott,

As i've posted elsewhere, the actual bandwidth being used by say 4 full universes is under 2Mbit/s so even a lower 54G setup is likely to have the bandwidth. The real issue is interference from other nearby systems and pure signal strength and loss of signal from things like cars and trucks driving or parking on the road.

There are so many variables that a lot of the "experts" will say that it's not a good idea in general, however people who take the time to get things set up and fully tested will likely have good success.

I've personally run far more than 4 universes wireless out of the laptop just because i could and it's all worked, but i still can't recommend it as a normal setup.

Anyone looking into doing this should at least do a full site/location survey using software like inSSIDer, www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ it will reveal channel clashes and allow you to better setup your wireless access point(s).

The hung channels will be a symptom of the LOR protocol getting to the ELOR rather than issues with E1.31.

As Scott has done, test test test :)

Cheers

I thought I posted a link to a quick video. Must have been more tired than I thought.

My goal was to be able to use a simplified approach to have E1.31 devices on wireless. The ELL's are pretty common to most in this hobby and are fairly easy to set up and configure. The set-up I have in mind probably won't be over 3 or 4 universes, but will be easy for the average user to set-up. Transmitting the LOR protocol wirelessly and then converting it to E1.31 at the controller site was a fairly straight forward configuration.

The good thing is we are still early in the season so we can keep learning and hopefully perfect it by the time the season starts.

Scott

The good thing is we are still early in the season so we can keep learning and hopefully perfect it by the time the season starts.

Scott

Haha, got it now, when I run the post through Word for spell check it the link didn't copy/paste back in.

Edited by Shubb
  • Like 1

Hey Scott,

You could also try using a radio bridge. I have used the FGR2-PE from Freewave. http://www.freewave....cts/fgr2pe.aspx It will transmit E1.31 and artnet fine. I have done both. These types of radios are a standard in the entertainment world for transmitting to floats and rides. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Hey Scott,

You could also try using a radio bridge. I have used the FGR2-PE from Freewave. http://www.freewave....cts/fgr2pe.aspx It will transmit E1.31 and artnet fine. I have done both. These types of radios are a standard in the entertainment world for transmitting to floats and rides. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Steve

Interesting the spec sheet says High Speed - Up to 154 Kbps over-the-air throughput, not even high enough to deal with a single DMX universe.

That spec was straight from the link you gave

Plus if they are 900 mhz unlicensed, you could be competing with even more of a hodge podge of interference issues, all unlicensed, like older cordless phones, baby monitors, etc. .

• Like 1