Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Without Using A Pc

Shubb

I was talking to some other enthusiast about the benefit of using E1.31, but the disadvantages of having to use a computer to control the show. I currently use min Directors to run a 64 channel package that runs as a stand alone system.

I decided to try using a ELOR from SanDevices to control a pixel controller that I could use in addition to the existing 64 channel set-up I already have assembled.

Initial testing of the ELOR to control an E-681 worked perfectly. The CTB controller powers the mini Director and ELOR through the Cat 5 cable and the test sequence worked without a hitch.

I did a sequence of 4 universes of 510 channels (170 RGB) and set all to turn on, slow fade, color fade, twinkle and so on while playing a MP3. It repeated several times and I didn’t notive any lags or missed commands. I only had 6 pixel strings connected to the E681, but the sequence was maxed at 680.

I know that most people thought LOR releasing E1.31 would eliminate the need for the ELOR, but for a stand alone system it is perfect.

Here is a quick video of the pixels I was testing using the mini Director.

Scott

• Like 3

Very nice setup. Any idea on the total channels the Director can handle. I think that may be your only limitation in this setup is that the mini director has a channel limit. Great thinking on your part, always a way is a good way to keep thinking. Keep moving forward . . . .

I don't know yet what the max of the mini Director is, but I am trying to find out!

It's not so much as a matter of how many channels, it's how busy the channels are.

I only needed 2 universes for what I have planned, but it was nice to know it can handle more.

Very cool outside the box kinda thing though. I may have a use for my ELOR. Naa Ill be selling it soon but still you have opened up a whole new realm of what the hardware wasnt meant for and made it work. Still hats off to you for that. Im sure a few may have tried it, this is the first I have seen it setup.

• Like 1

FYI...

You really don't want to run anything when it's all rolled up like that. You can quickly generate a lot of heat that will cook your stuff.

Shubb

I'm with William, nice out of the box thinking and certainly a valid use for a ELOR, with caveat as you stated around limits based on update rates

Now maybe LOR can see the demand and release their own E131 director and DMX Bridge

Cheers

FYI...

You really don't want to run anything when it's all rolled up like that. You can quickly generate a lot of heat that will cook your stuff.

I know, but it was only for a 1 minute sequence and the damage from heat is far less than what the wife can genereate when she trips over them. Something about " blinded by the disco lights and stuff spread all over the floor" :)

• Like 1

I say run a nutcracker sequence through all your channels and see if it can keep up at full blast!

I know, but it was only for a 1 minute sequence and the damage from heat is far less than what the wife can genereate when she trips over them. Something about " blinded by the disco lights and stuff spread all over the floor" :)

Good, I'm glad to hear that. It's been far too often that I read stories about people killing stuff because they left it rolled up. Like the one person who melted his incan ropelight into a 151' blob-on-a-reel sculpture :)

Good, I'm glad to hear that. It's been far too often that I read stories about people killing stuff because they left it rolled up. Like the one person who melted his incan ropelight into a 151' blob-on-a-reel sculpture :)

Jeff reported something like this not to long ago, had a 5meter reel of melted plastic.

I've actually even been surprised on less than full reel sections as well. For LED rope light, we (including a couple of volunteers here) have been in the habit of getting the 20 or 30 foot section needed for a snowflake, coiling it up, putting in a zip lock bag, wrapping it up in a blanket, and let it run for 5 to 10 min to make it pliable enough to wrap. We never had any issues during our fall indoor work days.

But we get on site, and the volunteer doing most of them starts getting interrupted while doing some of these snow flakes. We start seeing failures. What we found was that the longer times they sat baking was apparently allowing them to get hot enough to melt their solder joints..

If we do more in the future, I may decide that we go back to a heating pad to soften the plastic, rather than allowing them to self heat.

Edited by -klb-

Great info. Looks like I'll be investing in an ELOR, E681 DMX Pixel controller in the future. I run my shows off a Showtime Director, so this is really fantastic you did a video to show how it all works with the MP3 Mini Director unit. Of course my wife is going to say you need to buy what and why? LOL

Edited by Slipstream

I only ran them for about 2-3 minutes at a time with a few minutes inbetween tests. They did get warm, but no where near hot.

Thanks Jeff,

I'm looking forward to testing multiple ELOR's and many universes with the mini Director.

Scott