Light-O-Rama Forums

Linux Works!

Guest guest

Tonight I tried to run the Light-O-Rama software on my Linux (Ubuntu) computer. (I switched over last week). It installed perfectly. Just like it was made for it. The only problem during installation was that it could not register some file. I am using Wine. I guess Wine doesn't have a windows registry, because of the installation error. Now, for the good part. I tried to open the sequence editor, it runs through the first time thing, where to save the files, but it ends/fails because it cant write the registry key. I try all of the other programs, they all get the same first-time start up screen except the hardware utility. So I go in and check a few of the settings, com port, max units, etc... They all fail with runtime errors. So I go back in and configure it all manually, guess what? THE LIGHT-O-RAMA PROTOCOL WORKS IN LINUX! It runs a little slow. But.. hey it works! Now if someone could come up with a registry patch I could do my sequencing on my Linux and run it at Christmas on my 98se. So, has anyone tried this? I guess it isn't supported by the LOR company. I am eager to hear back about other peoples trials on Linux!

--Daniel L

Update....

After finding that WINE has an stand in registry. I coped and edited the Light-O-Rama shared registry key. That fixed that problem, then it asked for some .ocx file. I found and downloaded the file from on of those free file places. So now sequence editor works, it is very slow. On opening. I still cant get a .las file to open up though. Thats next!

--Daniel L

Not trying to be negative, but just a question -- why? Other than a little experiment to see if it can be done, if it doesn't work as well as Windows, I guess I don't see why you'd want to run it on anything but Windows. Although I know there's a group out there in 'netland that considers it a badge of honor to have as much software as possible free/GNU...

-Tim

Good question! I switched over to Linux last week and I just was thinking that I would have everything I need if I could sequence on it. It is just an experiment for me, but I have posted this here for two reasons. 1. Saying that it is possible. 2. About three times someone has asked if it was possible. I am just explaining my results.

--Daniel L

I'm glad to know. I made a living for quite some time due to MS and appreciate it- but I always like to have alternatives.

But to Tims' question- why? If it does not work as well, then I'm with Tim- use an old windows box.

That said- the new Vista is VERY expensive and windows is becoming one of the most expensive parts of any new computer purchase. If they keep it up, I might switch more than my mail and ftp servers to linux. I might switch all my desktops. So then I would really need LOR to run on it!

Thanks for the update.

RW

tfischer wrote:

Not trying to be negative, but just a question -- why? Other than a little experiment to see if it can be done, if it doesn't work as well as Windows, I guess I don't see why you'd want to run it on anything but Windows. Although I know there's a group out there in 'netland that considers it a badge of honor to have as much software as possible free/GNU...

-Tim

Tim - Here is an excelent answer to the why - $$$$$$$$$

Each copy of micro$oft windows cost a good amount of cash. Linux on the other hand is licensed under the GPL package and is basically free (Open Source) - just a need for a little more learning is all that is necessary, that badge of honor you mentinoed....

I don't know about most people - but a hundred or two hundred dollars for each of my computers is a bunch, and now that VISTA is out there - that price just went up - way up.

Think of it this way - if i can save $200 on software - thats a LOR controller and more lights for my display. My understanding - the original LOR software was in a *nix OS.

I am an IT/ICT and the fact that Daniel got it to go is exciting for me and for others - WAY TO GO Daniel!

My 2 cents - your mileage may varry.....

Not to go off-topic but... I have over 18 computers running LINUX at work.
It's people like Daniel experimenting with a different OS that may someday give us other options.
I applaud Daniel for his efforts. :cool: Keep up the good work!

I also applaud Daniel's efforts. It's just that unless you build your own PC's, it's hard to get a PC without windows preinstalled on it.

As for open-source software -- I applaud the effort and use quite a bit of it myself, but I do wonder how the people who develop it pay the mortgage and the grocery bills. I develop software for a living and it's hard to imagine giving all your work away anymore than I wouldn't expect a carpenter to come and build me a house for the cost of materials only -- but hey if people want to do it I'll use their stuff :)

-Tim

Thanks to everyone for your support! Currently, I cant get an audio sequence to play because I think LOR looks for WMP :). I also think the slow problem it that I am running a full graphical version of Linux of a computer that was made for 98se. So I bet on a good computer, this could work alot better. The next update, I icon that is normaly by the clock in Windows, shows up in Linux also, though the tray wont open up, it gives errors out. You all have got to understand, I am still in my very first week of Linux use. If you have any ideas about the audio or somthing else, I will try anything! :laughing:

--Daniel L

Daniel, I installed wine on my mac a few weeks ago with similar intentions. Didn't mess with it much, but now that I know someonw has done it, I'll give it another try.

And I tried LOR on vista today...that was a disaster!!!!

Greg

I am running the beta LOR on Vista Ultimate and its working fine. No problems so far, have run all the programs, hardware editor, sequence editor, show editor, all of them. I even set up one of my controllers and hooked up my new LED's, all worked great! If no one else finds and problems I am sure it will be release to everyone in the near future.

James

You could just use bootcamp with OSX or parrallels.

LightsByGreg wrote:

Daniel, I installed wine on my mac a few weeks ago with similar intentions. Didn't mess with it much, but now that I know someonw has done it, I'll give it another try.

And I tried LOR on vista today...that was a disaster!!!!

Greg

• 7 months later...

Any update on this from Daniel or anyone?

I have installed the software on my Linux box (Gentoo) and my husband says he plugged in the USB hardware controller, but it is not finding it.

All software works with Wine, I had to copy two files from my XP box but after I did that it's great. :P

As for me, I would like to use Linux because that machine is on 24/7 anyway and my husband's XP box has some issue with the com ports where the scheduler program does not take control of the right com port.

Thanks. I was wondering about that.

Jeff Millard wrote:

If you look carefully, you can see from the "Guest" moniker that this topic was started on PlanetChristmas and copied here just after this Forum was created. As the topics were split at that point (PC went one way, and LOR SC the other) there is a possibility that the discussion was continued there.

Jeff Millard wrote:

As for the earlier question why... Why not? You do it because it's there to be done. "Why" when used in that context goes against the old cliche "There's no such thing as a stupid question"

I've always preferred the alternate version "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." :shock:

I'm here. Really nothing else has hapened with this LOR on Linux thing, it just ran to slow, I think with WINE and LOR and Linux running, my computer can't handle it. (128mb ram). But when I get my upgrade done (a few months), then I will try it again.

--Daniel L

• 8 months later...

just wondering....has anybody experimented with the Xandros distribution of linux? it is suppose to be more windows compatible