Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx & E1.31

jonnyci

Can you run E1.31 and DMX at the same time?

If I have an Enttec Open and want to use that for RGB pixels, then had an E681 as well for smart Pixels could they both be used at the same time for my show? Or do I have to choose one over the other?

As long as they are separate universe numbers, you can run E1.31 along side a regular DMX USB adapter (like your Entec)

• 6 months later...

This is probably a stupid question for most. But:

I want to get into the RGB dumb strings and smart strings. Which system is the best and which system is the easiest and what are the disadvantages between the DMX and the E1.31 systems. I know nothing about either.

Thanks

I want to get into the RGB dumb strings and smart strings. Which system is the best and which system is the easiest and what are the disadvantages between the DMX and the E1.31 systems. I know nothing about either.

Thanks

This questions is asked many many times.   The answers are usually the same.  How much of each are you planning to use is the key question?   If you are just starting out and only adding a little bit of each element of smart and dumb strings I reccomend using LOR CCR and DC boards.  These will integrate easiest into your setup as well there will be no growing pains of trying to make it work.  As well you get full LOR customer support which is freakishly good.

*edit,  This thread has a lot of 1.31 info from a lot of the guys who used it last year or years prior.   http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26273-which-rgb-system/  <---- Take some time, read careful.  Again if your just starting out and these monster displays arent what your trying to accomplish then stick with LOR.

Edited by WilliamS

Thanks

Well since you say that you know nothing about either then this may seem like a stupid answer but READ, READ, READ!

You really have to decide what you want each for and what you want to do to get a better answer.

I would recommend that you go to the Australian Forum   http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/  and sign up for it and then start reading on there.  Fast Eddy has written up some great pdf files on E1.31 and other things that you are going to want to read to help you decide with things.

There are sub areas on there for the E1.31 as well as for DMX that you can read through and get probably 98% of our questions answered through the posts already there.

You are asking a very open and large question that does not have one set answer and is hard to give you one for.  You need to read up on each system and see what you want it for and what it is that you want to do first, then you will have a better understanding and can ask specific questions pertaining to either one.

beeiilll thanks.

I've started getting the CB100D's from LOR. I do want to go to all RGB's in the future. I searched this form to try to get an answer, but couldn't find an answer pertaining to my question. I guess I didn't type in the right search. I will go to that forum that you suggested.

Again Thanks 

That provides some direction on your question then.

You don't even need to use DMX for the CCB's as they run under the LOR protocols but I can see that you will want to know about DMX and E1.31 before very long if you are going ot use them as well.

There is a board coming out soon (we hope) that will be able to control the "dumb" RGB strips and pixel strings right off the end of an intelligent strip or string.  That is going to make DMX somewhat irrelevant if you don't need it since the intelligent pixel strips and strings are better off using E1.31 straight out of the computer without the need of extra dongles or devices to place another piece of hardware in the line and cause possible troubles.

Most people are using either the SansDevice units (E682) or the J1Systems units (P12 or P2) right now it seems.  The intelligent pixel of choice seems to be the 2811 chip as it has shown to be the best one so far with reliability, ease of use, and other aspects it seems.  Of course everything can change in a moments notice in this "hobby" so don't hold my words as gosphel by any means.  These are just the ones at the moment.

I have just gotten into the RGB end myself and am using a J1Sys P2 unit to play with and learn for now.  The web interface for the J1Sys units is easier to work with than the SansDevice one and is simple to figure things out with.  Plus a fellow named Andy Harrison has made up some videos on the Aussie forum to help others work with the J1Sys stuff.

Another place you  can go to learn about some of this stuff is the DIY forum as well  http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php.  The folks over there are really experimenting with new stuff to interface all sorts of things together and there is a world of information on there as well.

Good luck.

Thanks so much beeiilll

It sounds to me that I need to go with the E1.31 system. I am not that good with computers and such. And I want a systen that I can expand on and be able to run both dumb and smart RGB's. Now I can start my research on E1.31.

Thanks so much beeiilll

It sounds to me that I need to go with the E1.31 system. I am not that good with computers and such. And I want a systen that I can expand on and be able to run both dumb and smart RGB's. Now I can start my research on E1.31.

Your Welcome somewhat and also this will really start you down the path of insanity!  LOL

Another thing for you to consider with your thoughts of going with RGB stuff is that once you get up into the range of a lot of channels for teh intelligent stuff, the software you use to control it becomes another problem.  LOR currently has some trouble with keeping up with RGB when you get into a lot of universes.  I don't know the exact number that it starts to become a problem but there are people on here and the other forums who have seen the problem directly and can comment on it better than I.

I have seen where quite a few folks have gone over to the LSP (Light House Pro) program and some others due to problems but it seems like it takes getting into the many thousands of channels to start seeing the troubles.

Just another thing to consider for you.

Also being that you say you are not all that good with computers and such, you will want to do a lot of reading on stuff.  The world of DMX and E1.31 are just different ways to control lights and have their own terminology as well as nuiances to work with.  The more you get into the do it yourself world of this stuff, the more you have to rely on yourself and your education about the equipment and software to make it work.  There are many people on here as well as many other forums who can help though and like to see someone get things going so you will always find some help somewhere for problems you may run into.

The hobby is supposed to be fun above all else so don't let it get to you when you get confused or lost in this stuff.  Take a break and walk away from things for a bit and then come back at it later on when you feel calmer and more ready to think again.  Most of this stuff can be a lot of common sense to work with once you begin to understand the meanings and uses of the equipment and the software.

Your best friend in this is research!

Thanks again Beeiilll.

I have about reached my max now. I have a pretty small yard, and getting to the age that I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do this. Although you never know. I have the Advance lic. and 24 CCR Super Star and using just 3 LOR ac controllers and am getting a total of 7 CB100D 's from LOR for a mega tree. I just thought of changing out my multi color led's with some rgb floods and some rgb strings on the house. As I said, I have about max out my yard, so I won't be getting too much bigger with my props, and I'm not going to be climbing around on my roof. Still recouping from my fall from the ladder before Thanksgiving. The old body don't heal like it used too. HA !!!!!!

Thanks for the responce and advise.

Yea, being 60 myself I have to agree on the body not wanting to do some of this stuff much but I refuse to give up no matter how many motrin I have to take to recover - LOL.

The RGB stuff really adds some new and exciting things to display possiblities for us.  No matter the size of the yard or the display, it can make things really go wild.

And it keeps the old brain working on new things as well!

I just didn't want to get into the dip switch thing and the math and all that. I work with numbers and math all day long and by the time I get home my brain is fried. I just want to just plug it in and go. I am hoping that LOR will come out the some type of dumb string plug and play system. I've started with LOR and I want to stay with them. I really don't want to go to another system. It's a money and learning thing. LOL.

Thanks Beeiilll

Sadly I had to give up working on computers pretty much and use my knowledge of electrical, plumbing, and carpentry to survive where I live as it is so remote that there is not enough call for computer work to survive on.

Therefore the RGB world gives me a chance to test myself and learn new things as well as provide a fun light show for people here to enjoy for a month in the winter.

I can't blame you for wanting to stay in the "plug and play" realm as it is easy and fun to do as well.  I had thought that just using the LOR stuff would be enough but my "tinker addiction" for wanting to learn and play all the time won't let me just sit back and live with it as is - LOL.  Not that there is not enough to do when doing the sequencing for sure, but I like the hardware end of things and making something new and different is a big draw to me.

Good luck with your display and I am sure that the RGB stuff will get more plug and play in the next year so that you will get the urge to jump into it as well since LOR now has the pixel strings for sale.

Bill