Light-O-Rama Forums

Neighbors wondering why I have a tree in the yard

Guest guest

My guess is that I'm not alone but someone chime in so my wife will believe me! :)

I had bought three 11.5' trees from Home depot the week after christmas and I set one up Sunday the 11th to see how well it would handle the additional 1800 lights I was putting on it.

So it is up and flashing in my backyard running a loop so I can see if I have 'holes' that need additional lights and my wife says the neighbors will think I'm nuts! She's probably right.

But planned for this christmas I have a 25' megatree with 52 channels, 3 11.5' trees with 15 channels between them, 24 minitrees with 48 channels and this is my first animated year. So I "needed" to see how long it would take to get it up, how it would look, whether my idea for attaching the extra lights would be appropriate, how sturdy it would be, blah blah blah...

The LOR controllers worked perfect out of the box I must say. But then after the research I did prior to buying I expected that....

Am I a nut or can someone vindicate me!?

RW

This photo is from August 2006 in my back yard... Same thing... needed to see it in full scale. Vindication submitted for your approval!

jeff

Edit: BTW that fence you see in the background is 9 feet tall (it's a fence and a half) and wasn't enough to hide the tree.:]

Attached files 122698=7329-IMG_0823web.JPG

It's perfectly normal!!!

I had Christmas lights/displays in my backyard running for about 2 months with music last year. Kids wanted to know why they could hear Little Drummer Boy while they were trick or treating. Now, I've got 30' arch's in the backyard that sit about 6' higher than the fence.

Nobody ask me any questions anymore though....

Scott

You wonderin' how Glenn knows my doggie? He worked on the tree too! There he is with Frank Brunke putting 50 Darryl strobes on it.

Edit: photo courtesy of Hamlet Parra (HPHP)

Attached files 122705=7331-DSC00921web.JPG

I'll be testing this summer too

But it will be in my front yard
I'm using a large Oak tree to suspend my mega tree
So that's where I have to test it

Now if I only had blue lights I could do a 4th of July show

I have snow flakes & trees I want to test too

I feel your pain all my wife says is how she hates this and cant believe that so many people are as crazy as me i am on here everyday checking out new things. Does anyone elses wife think they are crazy??????????????

:laughing: I laugh with you all. This past year starting early was a huge help. The mega tree was structurally up in September, lights in October. It just came down this past weekend, close to 5 months, does that count? The wife thought twice about having me just leave it up all year. Although, I must say that last year her "what now" is more like "we can do this for next year", and we all know that the "we' equates to me :shock:. Wait till Paul's Sessel's 30 boxes of LED's show up and things start coming back out in late August! :waycool:

Scuba_dave wrote:

"What Now??"

sheesh...this is my first year going all out (as all out as my budget can allow) and i get that from my parents, fiance AND kids (6 and 7 years old) lol

and the bug didnt bite me till 1/2 way through this past season

Scuba_dave wrote:

The 2 words I heard most this year as I continued to add to my display:

"What Now??"

(as packages arrived)

The great thing about staying home with the kids most the time... Packages arrive and I get to play with things and then stash them away before hubby gets home, lol. NO, I don't make a habit of this, but when I bought my LOR unit... I knew he just wouldn't understand until the GREAT REVEAL... So one day he came home to a LIT house! :))~

(The twelve foot tree in our front living room was his idea the past year. I had to up the ante.)

So once again I am righteous.

My wife is pretty excited about it but I think she enjoys ribbing me so everytime something comes in its like "OMG- what now?!" with a cheesy grin.

So my new PC lor boards are due in today. Has anyone actually assembled these yet? How do they work? I imagine based on how my other LOR equipment runs they will be great- but still asking!

Thanks for the help!

RW

I just finished 3 of the CTB16PC boards and they work fine... the only thing I found was that in the hardware utility the boards come up as something like '03 - ununknown device ??02'... anyone else noticed this?

Yep... everthing works just fine... they configure fine... they test fine... I think the boards are too new to show up as themselves in the current version of the hardware utility (1.6.1)...

FBinthesouth wrote:

My guess is that I'm not alone but someone chime in so my wife will believe me! :)

I had bought three 11.5' trees from Home depot the week after christmas and I set one up Sunday the 11th to see how well it would handle the additional 1800 lights I was putting on it.

So it is up and flashing in my backyard running a loop so I can see if I have 'holes' that need additional lights and my wife says the neighbors will think I'm nuts! She's probably right.

But planned for this christmas I have a 25' megatree with 52 channels, 3 11.5' trees with 15 channels between them, 24 minitrees with 48 channels and this is my first animated year. So I "needed" to see how long it would take to get it up, how it would look, whether my idea for attaching the extra lights would be appropriate, how sturdy it would be, blah blah blah...

The LOR controllers worked perfect out of the box I must say. But then after the research I did prior to buying I expected that....

Am I a nut or can someone vindicate me!?

RW

RW,

Do you happen to have a picture of the 11.5' HD trees with the lights you put on...?

Thanks,

Roy

I already disconnected it but I MIGHT hook it back up this weekend! If so I will snap a shot of it.

My LOR PC kits just came in. Can't wait to get on them after I finish my FM100B kit.

Rusty

FBinthesouth wrote:

I already disconnected it but I MIGHT hook it back up this weekend! If so I will snap a shot of it.

My LOR PC kits just came in. Can't wait to get on them after I finish my FM100B kit.

Rusty

Rusty,

Are your HD trees the holiday time ones with the white metal tube framework and are like mega trees? I was planning on doing the same thing you did and was wondering how well the tree stood up with all the additional lights.

Thanks,

Roy

dandyman wrote:

Yep... everthing works just fine... they configure fine... they test fine... I think the boards are too new to show up as themselves in the current version of the hardware utility (1.6.1)...

Guys, go to the Light-O-Rama support page and download the latest Hardware Utility. It is the most updated version and has fixed the Unit ID problem. I realize it has a lower number than 1.6.1, but that is the version number for LOR....

jeff