Light-O-Rama Forums

Dead Channels (7 8)

Guest guest

Now that more than a month has passed and we all have more time. Let's fix the problems we had with our displays...

I've got two channels that are dead on one board. Any suggestion on checking for problems? All the other boards I made worked fine.

dribbles wrote:

I've got two channels that are dead on one board. Any suggestion on checking for problems? All the other boards I made worked fine.

If they are less than a year old, you should contact Light-O-Rama. They have a very good policy of taking care of these problems.

Support@lightorama.com

jeff

jeffmill wrote:

If they are less than a year old, you should contact Light-O-Rama. They have a very good policy of taking care of these problems.

Support@lightorama.com

jeff

Just want to echo what Jeff said. I had a board go bad in it's first year. LOR took care of the problem, even though I waited until the 51st week to mail it back. ;)

I aggree with everyone, I had a bord problem that neither me or LOR cold figure out. within 2 weekd LOR had mailed me a brand new bord and even paid for the return of the broken one. Now that's service.

Is there a way to check the opto chip? The triac has voltage going to the center lead but both of the other two leads have no voltage indication. This leads me to believe it is something other that the triac.

You could try jumpering the output of an Opto from a working channel to the input of a Triac on dead channel.

If that works, then it is a bad Opto.

Do it the other way (output from bad channel Opto to good channel Triac).
Make sure you don't have a signal going to the good channel at this time or you won't know why it did or didn't work.

If that works, then its the Triac.

wear gloves.

Hi,

Here is a copy of the email response sent:

Although you have checked, over 90% of the time the problem with kits is a soldering issue... Check U20, U21, U4, R16 R7 and R8 ... They are the parts that are involved with 7 & 8... Make sure the optos U20 and U21 are orientated correctly.

There is no charge for us to check the card.