Light-O-Rama Forums

Planning for 2007

Guest guest

I am trying to finalize my display plans for this year and in somewhat of a quandry of how to procede. Last year, my first with LOR, my display was all strings of lights. This year, I am adding wire frames, animation, and cut-outs. Since most of these, if not all, will be homemade and rely on some sort of computer control, I need to make a decision about the hardware, specifically, the DC boards. I know Dan said he plans on releasing a DC board this year, but things fall behind due to unforeseen circumstances (such as LOR II's release originally scheduled for last year). Like everyone else, I am anticipating LOR II this year, but am concerned that if I wait for the LOR DC boards, they won't make it in time for this year's display. If I buy the D-Light boards, as I understand it, they may not be compatible with LOR II. I could always switch to the D-Light software, but I am familiar with LOR now and don't really want to start a new learning curve for D-Light sequencing. I would rather spend the time building new displays, not to mention building some new controller boards. Looking for guidance here. Should I switch to D-Light sequencing since it is compatible with the LOR boards I currently have? Should I build the D-Light DC boards and hope they are compatible with LOR II, if it is released this year? Am I just suffering an anxiety attack?

circus4u wrote:

Am I just suffering an anxiety attack?

Yes. Don't start the anxiety attacks until mid-March or so. Given that you had a display last year, you have more time than you think.

I have the same issues this year. I use both products.

Well the good news is that the D-Light DC boards are pre-assembled and you could always use the original LOR software. That's what I do.

Yes we fell behind on LOR II.... However this year we have taken steps to ensure that does not happen again. We will have LOR II and DC cards in plenty of time for this Christmas Season... We have hired the additional people required to get this done.

OK, Dan, I will take your word that it will be ready this year. Just want you to know, that I retired four years ago. Last April, I found LOR. I impressed myself so much over the holiday, that I came out of retirement and got myself a job so that I can do a bigger and better display this year. Also, thank you for putting the sale off until this summer -- more time to work, save money in my bank account so that I can transfer it to yours during the sale. My wife also thanks you for getting me out of the house; now, I listen to Christmas music on the way to and from work instead of at home all the time.

P.S. Doesn't take much to impress myself!

Don wrote:

circus4u wrote:
Am I just suffering an anxiety attack?

Yes. Don't start the anxiety attacks until mid-March or so. Given that you had a display last year, you have more time than you think.

Don... that's early. I'm not doing anything until July or maybe August.

mountainwxman wrote:

Given all that he was looking at, I was giving him some time to plan ... and trying to give him some time to rest. ;)

Me? Well, let's just say I took the month of January off. If it wasn't done by 01/01, it didn't get done in January. Of course this means the indoor tree didn't come down until today. :)

Don wrote:

mountainwxman wrote:

Given all that he was looking at, I was giving him some time to plan ... and trying to give him some time to rest. :)

Me? Well, let's just say I took the month of January off. If it wasn't done by 01/01, it didn't get done in January. Of course this means the indoor tree didn't come down until today. :)

Don... I have to admit... my mega tree pole is still up and I light the star every night. Some neighbors are begging me to keep it up year long.

Entropy wrote:

Why do you need DC?

Except for variable speed, there's not much of an advantage.

However, if you go DC and can't get a DC controller, there's always rectifiers.

LEDs...

really big LEDs....

:)

terrypowerz wrote:

Entropy wrote:
Why do you need DC?

Except for variable speed, there's not much of an advantage.

However, if you go DC and can't get a DC controller, there's always rectifiers.

LEDs...

really big LEDs....

:)

Lots of really big LED's

OK, as I said, you can always use a Digatal I/O Board. You can get 64 Channels for about $60. That's a lot of motors. Even with a DC LOR controller you may have to make some interface circuts depending on the motor so you may as well start with a DIO card. Also you could control wall wart transformers right from the controller.

PS. Some of the LOR controlers (CTB08D) can drectly drive servos. AI