Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and LEDs

Guest guest

What's the final verdict on LOR fading of LEDs ? I want use the replacement c7 leds but want to make sure LOR can dim them. I thought the c7's were dimmable but not the c9s is this correct?

Thanks,

Marshall

radiomarsh wrote:

What's the final verdict on LOR fading of LEDs ? I want use the replacement c7 leds but want to make sure LOR can dim them. I thought the c7's were dimmable but not the c9s is this correct?

Thanks,

Marshall

The reports that I have seen are that the replacement C9s are not dimmable. I do not know about the replacement C7s but I would guess the result would be the same as the C9s.

We are going to see if something can be done to dim those special bulbs but have not done so as of yet. We do not know what is happening with the replacement bulbs.

So people are clear, I am only talking about the LED screw-in replacement bulbs for C9 and C9 light strings. This conversation is not related to the standard 35/70 bulb LED strings.

Marshall,

This past season, we used LED C6 strings on the smaller trees and LED C7 replacable bulbs on the larger trees and we didn't have any luck with dimming on the C7s. They would flicker during a fade. The C6s did great and to be honest, the C6s looked just as brite. The cost of the C7s were also alot higher and they consume more power per bulb. I found myself cutting back on C7s because I was blowing fuses in the controller. Once I got to a certain number, I didn't blow any more fuses. Also, when it snows/rains, I had problems with the channels that were assigned with the C7 bulbs, probably because moisture got down inside the socket as they weren't sealed like the C6s. As for the C6s, I never had a power problem at all. C6s worked great.

Just my experience,

Tom

radiomarsh wrote:

Not exactly sure but some have told me not to get the LED's that require a boxed transformer. Most LED lights operate on less then 12 volts and still each bulb individually has to have a resister to further lower and regulate the voltage.

I believe some LED spot lights and C9's have a chip based system that lower voltages to operating perimeters. Some will drop the voltage down to 5 volts but it doesnt matter what the input voltage is, the in bulb hardware maintains 5 volts to the LED until your input voltage drops below this value. Meaning you can fade voltage from 110 volts to 0 and the LED doesnt fade at all until the input voltage is under 5 volts.

I noticed very recently LED spot/flood lights now since Christmas is over, are offering dimmable versions, meaning the in bulb voltage adjuster will ramp down in scale with the input voltage dimming. Philips brand LED's seem to do dimming just fine but there are many brands that wont dim, they also wont flicker or shimmer, etc when LOR/AL/DLite wants them to. Its hit and miss and most advisable to purchase LED's that are labled as "dimable".

I noticed very recently LED spot/flood lights now since Christmas is over, are offering dimmable versions, meaning the in bulb voltage adjuster will ramp down in scale with the input voltage dimming.

Where did you see these? I need some dimmable LED spot/flood lights for '07, but thought no one made them.

Dimming C7 LED bulbs, here's why they don't dim. I tried using one with LOR, the light remained dim at full power. I opened that one up. The LED bulb is an assembly of a full wave bridge rectifier, two resistors, not a problem so far with dimming, this is how most LED ropelights are designed. These also contain a capacitor that eliminates the flickering that is a problem with using LED's with AC. The dimming must damage the capacitor.