Light-O-Rama Forums

Most LORs

Guest guest

I have 184 channels. There are pictures of the controllers on my web site in
"The making of 2006" section.

There are others with many more channels then me on here though.
I'm just a small player. :laughing:

Tim

txstraitfan4 wrote:

this sounds odd but who owns the most LORs. ive seen some around in the 100s of channels i like to see some Pics on how u set it up in the house.

Marty said he had over 400 ch, but only used 380. :waycool:

Michael B

jeffmill wrote:

Here are some pics of my control center...I used 144 of 160 LOR channels. The extra board was in case I did something wrong and needed to do a quick repair.
jeff

I have a question on your setup - looks very nice BTW
I count 8 boards = 128 - do you have more not shown?
Is there a specific reason for the color coding - they go to specific channels/tasks?
What gauge wire did you use for the internal wiring for the channels?
Each channel max should be 8a so 18 - 20 - 22 gauge?
From what I have read you need 18g in a confined area to cover up to 10a
20g would only cover up to 7.5a

Do you have or do you need any fan in that enclosure?

I'm trying to plan on how/where to setup my system
I want to allow for expansion
Thanks

Scuba_dave wrote:

I have a question on your setup - looks very nice BTW
I count 8 boards = 128 - do you have more not shown?
Is there a specific reason for the color coding - they go to specific channels/tasks?
What gauge wire did you use for the internal wiring for the channels?
Each channel max should be 8a so 18 - 20 - 22 gauge?
From what I have read you need 18g in a confined area to cover up to 10a
20g would only cover up to 7.5a

Do you have or do you need any fan in that enclosure?

I'm trying to plan on how/where to setup my system
I want to allow for expansion
Thanks

There are 8 boards in the control panel, and the 9th board is in the Orbit box below with 16 outlets on the front of it. It was added at the last minute to control the candy canes in my display. They were an early November flea market find. I have a 10th board that I kept for emergencies. I will add 6 or 7 more for 2007, keeping 1 as a backup. Using standoffs identical to those on the LOR boards made it very easy to quickly replace a board. Each wire has a numbered marker too.

The color coding is for each color on the mega tree, 15 wires for each color bundle. Blue,(I couldn't find any #14 blue, so I used black) Yellow, Red, Green, White, 12 slices of each. There are 150 lights on each slice. I test wired this panel with all grey wire, to light the tree in August for our mini+ event. I had a board fail and replacing it was a nightmare. Hence the color coding...

The channel wires are all #14 wire and the neutral wires are all #12 throughout the case. Each bundle of 15 wires goes to a molex connector. Each jack on the Molex's are rated for 10amps.

The power wires are all #12. They come from the grey case on the top where there are 10 GFCI outlets wired feed through. That is rated at 20amps.

Now a little calculation and then actual values. Take 150 minis times 16 channels at .33 amps per 100 and you get 7.92 amps. My house is located at the very end of a long radial 13KV fused circuit. Our house voltage never rises above 119volts. My actual mega tree load per board is 7.62 amps. I could easily get away with fusing each of the boards at 10 amps then double them up on the 20 amp circuits that feed them and still stay within the 80% safety margin. I'm not altogether sure I'm satisfied with the number of lights on the tree. There's always room for improvement:]

As for the fan. There was no noticable increase in ambient temperature in the case when the lights were on or off. Yes, I was surprised too. I expected to open an oven when I first lit it up, but it was just plain cool in there. The 4 boards inside the case were for the mini trees (300 light per channel 15.4amps total for 1 board) and all the other little items in the display. The mini tree board is really the only one that had a load on it that would create heat, and it was cool beans! If I had loaded this case to it's capacity, I would have put a PC case fan on it.

I hope this helps.

jeff

Edit: We will be having another mini+ this summer. Boston is about the same distance that 3 of our guests travelled to attend. I'd be happy to show you the case first hand!

Thank you for the information!!
That helps a lot with my planning on wiring
I'm going to be very busy this summer, a broken rib last summer & I am way behind on house work.
I need to finish the 2nd floor dormer on my Cape
Finish building the greenhouse, finish the pool cabane extension
Run a 60a sub-panel out to the pool cabana
Finish the front porch - 3 season
And at some point start building the 24x36 garage /addition

and of course somewhere in there find time to build the mega tree, Ramsey 30, wire up the mini trees

I see a busy summer ahead of me

I'm hoping to go to a Mini-meet, have to see how it goes

Brian Roberson wrote:

I only have 144 channels and have'nt used any of them yet! :) Thought I'd jump in with both feet.......:waycool:

Have a soft landing! I think you'll be glad you have that many channels when first it lights your home....

jeff

144 from the start, wow...... Hopefully you can get the feel of it quick. 144 channels takes stime to program. I use 48 channels right now but plan to double it this year for 2007. I was going to do it last year, but things came up that prevented me in adding more channels.

Even if you use shared sequences, You still have a lot of re-programming to do to make it work for your display. Good luck.

LORs? I thought their was only one Light-O-Rama company and Dan owns it. So I guess Dan Baldwin wins the contest!

IF you are talking about controllers or channels controlled by Light-O-Rama hardware. then I guess I lost because I have only 24 channels.

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

LORs? I thought their was only one Light-O-Rama company and Dan owns it. So I guess Dan Baldwin wins the contest!

IF you are talking about controllers or channels controlled by Light-O-Rama hardware. then I guess I lost because I have only 24 channels.

Daniel.... I know you were goofing around but it reminds me of the first time I heard controllers called LORs.... You would not believe the number of people that call up and say they want to get some LORs or that they want to know how to connect their LOR... It is neat :) ... I think it should be the official term for our controllers.

Tim_L wrote:

I have 184 channels. There are pictures of the controllers on my web site in
"The making of 2006" section.

There are others with many more channels then me on here though.
I'm just a small player. :laughing:

Tim

Wow :shock:! you have 184 channels and you're just a small player? Since I'm new and have "0" channels... guess that puts me way down at the bottom of the totem pole, huh? :laughing::laughing::laughing: LOL! But I am waiting for the LOR sale so I can get in the game too!

10 LOR's last year (my first) plus another brand = 288 channels (250 used)

Add 4 more LOR's so far this year (plus 60 channels of others) = 408 so far!

With 100 minis you need a lot of channels!

Oh that's 14 LOR's or 244 LOR channels! When's that sale....