Light-O-Rama Forums

Tool For Calculating Controller Loading

GaryM

I'm doing this on paper by hand, and while I plan to just have a 2-3 controllers this year, it seems like there has to be an easier way to do it.

Does anyone have a tool or program they can share, or is this the way everyone does it?

Thank you.

Thats the one I use. It covers everything you need and is great for planning. Make sure you plan out the "Light Inventory Manager"

There are loads out there, just don't buy one from ebay as you can find great christmas-aimed amp calculators for free On many christmas websites

I like Quartzhill....I use it. But since most of my controller are now DC, I had to really change it up. The spreadsheet will do AC and DC, but not both AC & DC within the same controller.

For DC I needed to know 2 things....how much DC draw for each channel/controller and total AC draw for the whole controller. I was pulling 21.90A DC on one of my controllers, but the AC draw was only 3.20A AC. I verified this with a Kill-A-Watt.

I needed to know the AC draw because I had a bunch of DC controllers using the same outlet....I wanted to make sure I didn’t go over the 80% of the 20A breaker.

It would have been nice if the spreadsheet showed the AC draw for a DC controller. I had to write it, but no biggie.

What is the formula to convert power draw of 12V DC to 120A AC?

Kevin

Edited by CLD Kevin

I like Quartzhill....I use it. But since most of my controller are now DC, I had to really change it up. The spreadsheet will do AC and DC, but not both AC & DC within the same controller.

For DC I needed to know 2 things....how much DC draw for each channel/controller and total AC draw for the whole controller. I was pulling 21.90A DC on one of my controllers, but the AC draw was only 3.20A AC. I verified this with a Kill-A-Watt.

I needed to know the AC draw because I had a bunch of DC controllers using the same outlet....I wanted to make sure I didn’t go over the 80% of the 20A breaker.

It would have been nice if the spreadsheet showed the AC draw for a DC controller. I had to write it, but no biggie.

What is the formula to convert power draw of 12V DC to 120A AC?

Kevin

Not to send this thread off track as I appreciate the helpful comments from everyone, but can you explain where you would have an AC current draw, and a DC current draw, on the same controller? If I understand what I have read so far, the DC controller has a DC supply, the AC controller, an AC supply.

Do you mean a non-LOR type controller? Like maybe all this pixel stuff I'm reading about?