Light-O-Rama Forums

MP3 question

Guest guest

I have read a lot of threads in here about mp3s ripped to 128Kbps. When I read in LOR support they said if using windows xp media player 10 I should rip at 192Kbps so I have ripped and sequenced 2 songs and timing seems right. Am I gonna have problems down the line? I have played the shows with lights and they look timed right.

The problems stem from something called Variable Bit Rate. What is does is change the bit rate of the song throughout the whole song. For example, the song might be at 192Kbps for the first 30 seconds and only 128 for the remaining 30 seconds. Now, the actual VBR may change much more rapidly than that example. If you rip it in Constant Bit Rate, then these problems will not happen to you. I would also rip it to WAV instead of Mp3. This is because Mp3 is encoded and the processor has to decode it before and while it is playing. WAV is not encoded so the processor does not have to spend time decoding it.

RJTexas wrote:

I have read a lot of threads in here about mp3s ripped to 128Kbps. When I read in LOR support they said if using windows xp media player 10 I should rip at 192Kbps so I have ripped and sequenced 2 songs and timing seems right. Am I gonna have problems down the line? I have played the shows with lights and they look timed right.

Dan recommends they be ripped to 128K if you are using the LOR mp3 director card.

If not, you can use .wav, or mp3s ripped using a constant bit rate, as described above.

I used 320K mp3s, and wav, but since I have switched over to use the mp3 card this past season, i converted display music over to 128K, and all had worked perfectly.

Greg