Light-O-Rama Forums

Audacity Question.

Guest guest

Hello,

OK, so after Christmas I bought 32,000 minis, and Monday my first LOR controller arrived, so I'm hooked and ready to go.

My question is, If I rip my music from my CD's using MusicMatch Jukebox at 128 kbs, do I need to use the Audacity program or will my LOR equipment be able to use the music files as ripped with the MM Jukebox?

Thanks

Phil A. Ment

To be safe, I would run it through Audacity after it is ripped. We have very good luck with Audacity and more importantly, Windows Media Player (used by LOR) makes the correct decisions with jumping into MP3 files re-encoded with the LAME encoder used by Audacity.

If I understand your question, it should not make any difference what program you use as long as it is a constant 128. That being said, it is much easier to sequence a WAV file if you plan to use anything other than the normal playback in the LOR sequencer, in which case, you can use Audacity to convert your MP3 to WAV.

Dan and denny,

Thank you for your responses.

Denny, I've tried to research everything I could before I get going, and I thought that the preferred format was to use MP3. Could you explain the advantage to using WAV files for sequencing.

Having never done this, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Phil A. Ment

Phil A. Ment wrote:

Could you explain the advantage to using WAV files for sequencing.

One advantage is that WAV files do not have to be converted/processed on the fly. You will use fewer system resources with WAV's because LOR doesn't have to process them.

Also, with the current version of LOR, if you want to slow down the audio with the "play 1/2 speed" option, you will need to use WAV's.

Phil,

Like Don said, if you want to sequence at 1/2 speed, you need the WAV format. For some reason, if you sequence an MP3 at 1/2 speed and then play it back at normal, the synch is off.