Light-O-Rama Forums

High Power Heatsink

Ron Boyd

I ordered a DIY Kit and forgot the High Power Heatsink. Does anyone know if I can buy that by itself or where I can get a suitable alternative? I realized I'll need it to mount it in an enclosure.

If you are using LED's I wouldn't worry about them. Even if you are using Incons with one string per channel like arches. Now if you were using C9's or many stings of incons per channel then I would get them.

I agree, but I still need a way to mount the board. Any ideas on that?
I have 2 sets of the regular heatsinks but no way to mount the boards.

The board mounts the same regardless of the heatsinks with the pass through holes. There should be risers included in the kit that hold the board about 1cm off the bottom/back of the case. *edit, did you buy the kit with the box or just the baord? If not run to Radio Shack and they are spacers for motherboards.

Page 22, on the page they are illustrated as #1

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16Kpcv1_Assembly_Manual.pdf

The above statements are correct as well. If you are using LED,s you will less than likely need them. I ran 5000 leds off 1 15 amp circuit last year.

GoofyGuy wrote:

*edit, did you buy the kit with the box or just the baord?  If not run to Radio Shack and they are spacers for motherboards.

Yep, just the board. Guess I need to make a "Shack" run. 

GoofyGuy wrote:
I ran 5000 leds off 1 15 amp circuit last year.

I am planning 7 controllers, ~ 10,000 LEDs and 2 CCPs on one 20 amp circuit. My total pull is about 6.5 amps for all, according to my "Kill-a-Watt"

Thanks folks,
Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Do not know what box you have. I have the CG-1500 boxes. The mounting bosses do not match the holes in the controller board. So, I bought 2" alumimum right angle and drilled holes to mount the triacs and then more holes to match the mounting bosses in the back of the box. I have 10 such controllers like this. As long as you are not drawing over 1 amp per channel this will work just fine.

The kit should have included the smaller heat sinks, use them. Go to a hardware store and get a piece of small tubing and cut 1" lengths to use as spacers. The holes in the board are a bit small, I enlarge the holes a little to accomadate the wood screws with a pan head. Don't use drywall type screws, you could risk demaging the board.

If you still want the LOR high power heat sink, wait till you order something from the sale, otherwise the shipping will suck.

Edited by scubado