Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting rgb strips

digdeepfundraising

I have brought some different rgb strips and the ones I would like to use are from ray wu as there inside a silicone tube and filled with resin my question is has anyone come up with a good way of cutting these and soldering wires on them . I'm yet to cut them up but before I start just wanted to see I anyone has found the best way of doing this ??

The hard resin layer? If so you cut with good sharp shears as you dont want pulling or tugging, you want a single smooth cut. Then I use a razor and shave the resin off.

What I have found on the silicon encased (not silicone tube) is to cut the silicon with a razor knife down to the contact strip without going into the strip. Peel off the silicon. From the exposed end with a razor knife seperate the little amount of silicone s touching the contracts (all the ones I have tried peel off pretty easy.) Lightly score the contact to clean it. Tin the connection before soldering anything to it. (had to cut (3) 5 meter strips into 34 pieces and attach wires to each piece for (2) RGB fan archs (96 dmx channels)).

thank you for the advice William and Jerry i will try both and see which works best for me i have 5 5 meter lengths and have to make 20 different lengths for my windows/doors and the outline of my house

alright! quit stealing my ideas....

My biggest challenge to date is how to attach the strips to the ridge of a asphalt shingle roof...