Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX to LOR

Guest guest

Ok heres the problem My church is doing a large youth conference (february 23 breath in and breath out), and I do not have enough dmx dimming packs. So I was thinking is there any way to take a lor board an create an interface that would allow you to set a dmx address to each of the lor channels? I am trying to build a large series of panels (similar to the large united sign that hillsong used in there united tour) that will change colors and chase. (similar to many roof grids). The point here is to first allow all the lights to be controlled by one "master brain" (the console) second I want to be able to keep the lights sinked to live music.

Thanks,

Justin:)

Well, this feature is said to be in LOR II, if it ever comes out. There will be some sort of interface that will allow LOR to write DMX and probably allow LOR to read DMX. Again, this is said to be in LOR II, which has been in the works for about a year and a half now, so don't hold your breath waiting...

mahoodlights wrote:

What I was looking for was more of somebodys home grown interface?

I would also like to interface DMX. If I am lucky enough to win a Ebay bid for a DMX light then I will have the equipment to work with.

My thoughts were that it would consume 4 LOR outputs interfaced to four 110volt A/C inputs on a stand alone processor via OPTO22 modules. The processor would then output the DMX protocol controlling the fixture. This would allow a series of binary LOR outputs to control DMX.

I know it is not the cleanest way of doing things but it is the fastest.

If this doesn't pan out, I have a second thought using the current LOR processor directly into a second processor. Have to wait and see I guess.

Eric R wrote:

mahoodlights wrote:
What I was looking for was more of somebodys home grown interface?

If I am lucky enough to win a Ebay bid for a DMX light then I will have the equipment to work with.

Just an update, I didn't bid on that item as there were a good number of long standing Ebay members with no feedback bidding up the auction. (Usually a good sign of an inside job.) If I get a piece of DMX equipment in the near future, the project will start.

Justin,

How about just using LOR to control the lights. You can use the LORVIS Plugin for Windows Media Player (mahoodlights wrote:

Ok heres the problem My church is doing a large youth conference (february 23 breath in and breath out), and I do not have enough dmx dimming packs. So I was thinking is there any way to take a lor board an create an interface that would allow you to set a dmx address to each of the lor channels? I am trying to build a large series of panels (similar to the large united sign that hillsong used in there united tour) that will change colors and chase. (similar to many roof grids). The point here is to first allow all the lights to be controlled by one "master brain" (the console) second I want to be able to keep the lights sinked to live music.

Thanks,

Justin:)

cstom2002 wrote:

Justin,

How about just using LOR to control the lights. You can use the LORVIS Plugin for Windows Media Player

To be honest, the dimmers that the church has are of much higher quality than the LOR controllers. Also, the light board that the church has is of much higher quality and is capable of many more effects, and more control (because it is not fully automated). It is also harder to program these effects. It is better to use in this application.

Brad Stevens wrote:

cstom2002 wrote:
Justin,

How about just using LOR to control the lights. You can use the LORVIS Plugin for Windows Media Player

To be honest, the dimmers that the church has are of much higher quality than the LOR controllers. Also, the light board that the church has is of much higher quality and is capable of many more effects, and more control (because it is not fully automated). It is also harder to program these effects. It is better to use in this application.

Brad thanks for replying, I think you have a good idea of what I am trying to accomplish, but I put together a couple of diagrams. Also what is this LORVIS plugin?

Attached files 119125=7096-DMX-LOR.gif

I think that there may be a fix for this and that is do not use any software from LOR or AL, but purchase one or two DMX Light Controllers from Animate Lighting. You plug your lights into these controllers and they are controlled direclty by your DMX board and you can skip the converter step. If you do not want to buy the boxes, talk to AL about renting them for your project.

Ken

The best way to deal with this is to either:

1) Convince the church that they need more dimmers. Even cheap dimmer packs from NSI Leviton. (This would be the best option. You probably are not the only person at that church who thinks they need more dimmers.)

2) Purchase the dimmers yourself from a place like eBay for cheap.

3) Rent the dimmers you need from a local theatrical company. These dimmers will probably be ETC Sensor dimmers, which are very high in quality and features.

A combination of options 1 and 3 would be the best if they cannot afford to purchase all new dimmers.