Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 1.6.1

Guest guest

Anyone else having this problem?

LOR 1.6.1

Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2 and Windows Media Player 11

System is a HP a1640n

Intel Core 2 duo 6300 cpu with 2 gigs ram

When the View Wave Form button is pressed it will load and only display one page correctly then everything gets slow. W/O the Wave Form everything runs fine. Any ideas?

Seems odd... You have plenty of power and the wave form does not take too much cpu time. (usually!)

You say that only one page displays correctly. Does that mean that the wave form does not appear correctly on the other pages or only that they are sluggish.

When you say things get slow, what does that mean exactly?

Thanks Dan,

The wave form does appear correctly on every page transition but it takes 1.9 seconds to load each page with the wave form turned on.

I did a little leg work here and found that without the wave form, I spike the CPU usage at 3 to 4% at each page transition. With the wave form on each page transition spikes the CPU usage at 51 to 52%.

This system has the default software load plus Office and LOR. I have disabled as many processes in the task manager as it will allow with the same results.

Any thoughts?

BTW, there is no change in memory usage either way.

Have you tried it with other music files and file formats? It could be specific to a single file that may have some type of corruption in it. Let us know what file type you are using.

If it is an MP3 file, consider converting it to a CD quality WAV file using Audacity. (44.1khz, 16bit WAV)

Eric R wrote:

Thanks Dan,

The wave form does appear correctly on every page transition but it takes 1.9 seconds to load each page with the wave form turned on.

I did a little leg work here and found that without the wave form, I spike the CPU usage at 3 to 4% at each page transition. With the wave form on each page transition spikes the CPU usage at 51 to 52%.

This system has the default software load plus Office and LOR. I have disabled as many processes in the task manager as it will allow with the same results.

Any thoughts?

BTW, there is no change in memory usage either way.

Something odd is happening ( not sure yet ).... Try some different zoom levels and see if that helps at all. It seems like it thinks it has to rebuild internal tables for each page but I do not know why that would happen. 1.9 seconds is an eternity.... with a PC that powerful...

They are all 16 bit 44 kHz WAV files.

I should also mention this system was new out of the box last friday.

These are the same files I ran for this years show on another computer w/o the LOR upgrade.

I loaded LOR back on the old computer, ran it with these files then upgraded to 1.6.1 and all was fine.

Back on the new system if I zoom all the way in it is worse as each page ends faster (smaller time frame) if I zoom all the way out it is about a 45 second time frame and all runs fine for the 45 seconds with a CPU usage of 2-4% until the end of the page then it spikes back up to 49-51% and 1.9 seconds later the next page screen loads.

Anyone else using the Core 2 Duo processor?

Dan,

It would be nice to get it fixed as I had intended to use this system for next years show, but, if it doesn't pan out I will figure something else out. Maybe you can put me on the Beta testing list for LOR2

:waycool::waycool::waycool:

OK, it isn't the audio file. That model HP does have an integrated video card with shared memory. Two things I'd check immediately.

First, in the BIOS, be sure the video buffer is allocated sufficient memory out of the shared system memory. If it is set too low, you'll see slow downs. Set it too large, of course, and it will waste system memory. Try a few different values.

Second - It didn't say on the HP site who makes the video chip on your motherboard, but if you look in video properties you can find it and perhaps get an updated set of drivers. Updated video drivers can cure a lot of problems.

I am using the same computer with the exception of the 7000 series but all the specs are the same. I haven't noticed the problem you are describing. I am however having a problem recognizing the LOR network thru USB.

I have a HP with Core 2 duo and things run fine (very snappy) on it. I do not have XP Meda Center Edition.Try different hardware acceleration levels on you video display. See if that helps.

greg s wrote:

I am using the same computer with the exception of the 7000 series but all the specs are the same. I haven't noticed the problem you are describing. I am however having a problem recognizing the LOR network thru USB

What type of USB adapter do you have and if it is a USB485B then are you using the latest hardware utility with 5 tabs?

The video driver is the latest available and it is allowed 256 megs. The results were the same. I have tried different configs for acceleration with no luck. I am not using a USB adapter at this time. I just accept the default error that the light control has been shut off in the menu.

Thanks for your ideas.

LightORama wrote:

greg s wrote:
I am using the same computer with the exception of the 7000 series but all the specs are the same. I haven't noticed the problem you are describing. I am however having a problem recognizing the LOR network thru USB

What type of USB adapter do you have and if it is a USB485B then are you using the latest hardware utility with 5 tabs?

Dan,

It is a BAFO usb to 232 adaptor, I then plug the 232 to 485 into that. I think it may be a driver issue. Since I am at work now I can not try this but will when I get home later tonight. I will keep you updated

greg

The CrazyLightLady (AnnaLisa) had a problem with her computer that was solved by unloading her Anti-Virus program while programming her lights. I don't recall which AV software HP puts on their computers, but try that (before you toss it out the window ;) )

Eric, as I'm looking through a PC Magazine (Jan '07, page 72), John Dvorak makes a comparison between HP's A1640N (Intel) and the A1630N (AMD) computers. He said the comparison made the Intel model look "defective." He goes on to say that there is a large number of video games and video items that don't run correctly on the built in Intel graphics chip.

Check their website forums for possible fixes. This isn't something that HP or Intel will let go without correction.

C.Net shopper.com actually went so far as to highly recommend adding a PCI-Express video card. They said that, unless you upgrade the video, you won't be able to run the better version of Windows Vista, just the basic, plain version.

JonB256 wrote:

C.Net shopper.com actually went so far as to highly recommend adding a PCI-Express video card. They said that, unless you upgrade the video, you won't be able to run the better version of Windows Vista, just the basic, plain version.

I was thinking about getting a video card to see if it would correct this problem. Did they make any recommendations on which card was best?