Light-O-Rama Forums

New Pool Hook LOR for light Pump

Guest guest

I agree, last year, the fountain had a real bad time keeping up. It takes about 1-2 seconds to get the water pumped through. That may seem small but its accualy a pain when sequencing.

Also I just thought of all the stress being put on the motor. Is kinda like an inflatable with LOR. You should always keep the motor running just light the lights up for them to be noticed.

ndiaz wrote:

I was thinking about a manifold an a couple of selonids, but even that would probbly harm the pump more because it holds the pressure in.

You could add another valve or zone that would be piped under water and open when all the fountain valves are closed. This would allow water to keep flowing at all times.

Brian

Controling a fountain with LOR is not that big of a deal. As has been pointed out you need to plan the sequnce 1-2 seconds in advance to the water effect inorder to allow the selinoid to open. I use a 1-1/2 hp pump feeding 1-1/4" flexible irrigation pipe to the fontain with 8 - 24 volt sprinkler valves. Attached is a picture showing one of the spray heads. The outter ring is divided into 4 quanterants with 7 1/4" Harbor Freight brass air chucks each. This seems to be about the limit that the 1" PVC and pump setup can handle and still acheive 15 feet of lift.

Attached files 117110=6960-Fountain Spray.jpg

ndiaz wrote:

I was thinking about a manifold an a couple of selonids, but even that would probbly harm the pump more because it holds the pressure in.

Wouldn't you have a tank and pressure switch on the pump, like a well setup in this case?

bhays wrote:

ndiaz wrote:

Wouldn't you have a tank and pressure switch on the pump, like a well setup in this case?

I think you want the pump to operate constantly. I believe the 'real' shows have some sort of auto pressure relief valve that keeps the water recirculating (sort of like power washers do). This is on the order of the suggestion above to have an 'extra' valve that piped out under the water, except that it's fully automatic.

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

bhays wrote:
ndiaz wrote:

I think you want the pump to operate constantly. I believe the 'real' shows have some sort of auto pressure relief valve that keeps the water recirculating (sort of like power washers do). This is on the order of the suggestion above to have an 'extra' valve that piped out under the water, except that it's fully automatic.

-Tim

So when all the sprays are off, it would just pump the water back in, like a pool filter.

tfischer wrote:

bhays wrote:
ndiaz wrote:

-Tim

So when all the sprays are off, it would just pump the water back in, like a pool filter.

bhays wrote:

That would not work. One of the facts of liquids (like hydralic fluid) is that they do not compress.

You wouldn't be compressing it, just maintaining a reservoir. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work...that's how every well system in the midwest works. I have a pump/tank in my garage on a well for my sprinklers...it seems to work.

Correct, water is not compressible. Holding tanks use an air bladder which is compressible to keep the pump from running continuously. Pump runs until it builds up to a predetermined pressure, say 50 psi, and then shuts off until the pressure drops to another predetermined pressure, say 30 psi. The advantage is that in a home/well system the pump does not kick in everytime the faucet is opened or the toilet is flushed.

The major disadvantage to this system in a display would be that as the pressure drops the "fountain" would not maintain a constant height. As the pressure dropped the fountain would decrease in height until the pump kicked on again.

I am guessing that the best way to handle a display system would be to have the pump always running and then have a valve to close the recirculation and open the fountain.