Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR DMX

Guest guest

FandomFilms wrote:

I'm concidering adding DMX to my display next year. Can LOR control or sync a DMX light to the music?

Version 1.6.1 - No.

Support for DMX is said to be in LOR 2.0.

FandomFilms wrote:

OK then I have to be like everyone else... Will 2.0 be out before the 2007 season?

Will I win the Lotto?

Will the Saints win the Superbowl?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make any noise?

(We don't know.)

ndiaz wrote:

Do you know how the Lor will interact with DMX, will it be a Cat5 converter?

That depends on which way you are talking about. When a LOR controller is in a DMX Universe then it will be a convert.

What most people want is the LOR network to link to a DMX universe. In that case there is an intelligent card that provides the connection between LOR and DMX. Remember that LOR controllers are intelligent in that they perform their own effects such as fading.... A DMX dimmer pack cannot do that so the interface card provides the intelligencer for the DMX dimmer packs.

Dan,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and instructions on how to set it up. I'm such a fan of your product and plan to add 64 more channels this year.

Keep up the good work.

LightORama wrote:

ndiaz wrote:
Do you know how the Lor will interact with DMX, will it be a Cat5 converter?

That depends on which way you are talking about. When a LOR controller is in a DMX Universe then it will be a convert.

What most people want is the LOR network to link to a DMX universe. In that case there is an intelligent card that provides the connection between LOR and DMX. Remember that LOR controllers are intelligent in that they perform their own effects such as fading.... A DMX dimmer pack cannot do that so the interface card provides the intelligencer for the DMX dimmer packs.

Say I have an inteligent light, Such as a scanner. It has 8 DMX channels. would LOR be able to controll all eight?

LightORama wrote:

Will LOR sell the intelligent card?

Is this a card that must be installed in the computer or can it plug in via a USB port?

Can it be used with the DC-MP3?

I know nothing about DMX; can anyone point me to a web site that has a tutorial or information about DMX?

Will LOR sell the intelligent card? Yes

Is this a card that must be installed in the computer or can it plug in via a USB port? It will plug into the LOR network daisy chained in like a controller.

Can it be used with the DC-MP3? Yes.

It seems to me that if LOR or someone else would make a simple hardware controller (like a basic theatrical light board), there could be a market in the community theatre-type area. Many community theater groups around here use low-wattage lights which would be a good combination with LOR's product.

• 5 months later...

How do you know if you need DMX or not? I'm interested in adding fog machines and snow machines to my display, but question the necessity of DMX. I've got a cheapy fog machine I picked up last year that has an on/off controller switch. If it's left on the on position, one should be able to turn it on/off with the LOR. I realize that you can't necessarily time it because of warm-up time if it's off too long between fog intervals. If I were to pick up a DMX fog machine and a DMX interface for my LOR, would that resolve the warm-up time issue? Do you have that unit plugged in to a "static" plug and the controller powered by LOR via DMX?

I may also want to venture into animatronics. Just having things pop up or arms of a snowman wave. Can these just use channels on LOR? Would this require servo(s)? Or simply a rewired Multifunction Light String controller?

If you were to use DMX with a fog machine, you would still need to provide power to it. The way I did it last year was I had power on a separate timer that came on 10 minutes before the start of the show (for warm up time) and then cut off power 10 minutes after the show was over. This allowed all the control to be by DMX. The DMX allows you to control the intensity of the fog, and the start point.

Ken

sadayo wrote:

I may also want to venture into animatronics. Just having things pop up or arms of a snowman wave. Can these just use channels on LOR? Would this require servo(s)? Or simply a rewired Multifunction Light String controller?

The simplest way to control air operated animatronics is through the use of dishwasher solenoids. They are 120 volt, therefore can be controlled directly by and LOR channel.

You don't need DMX to control smoke machines, bubble machines, blow up fans, etc. All you need is cheap Radio Shack relays, cheap tupper ware tubs from Target, a couple of extension cords and a little soldering. You can make it in about 20 minutes if you have all the materials together. I have a "how to" for these interfaces on my webpage. On the home page drop down to the bottom and click on "Dearing Dazzle Projects". Then select "Interfaces To Light-O-Rama Controllers". I used a Chauvet smoke machine to provide smoke for a train. I also used two Chauvet bubble machines and filled the whole street with bubbles. I used the last interface to bring up a Grinch blow up on command. Check it all out at dearingdazzle.com.

Good Luck

Clyde

Bill, Thank you for the reminder! You did the dishwasher solenoid and small air compressor hook up for the donkey!

Clyde, I've added your page as a Favorite. ;) I've also found a good step-by-step on http://www.blogcrypt.com/Vikeman/friends/page6/ . That's a good idea not only for fog/snow machines, but excellent blow-up idea as well. Otherwise people are watching your inflatable blow up. It really adds to the show if it's already inflated, but "not noticed" until "lights on."

I think the DIY stuff is great and I do alot of it. BUT- I DO WANT the DMX control so I do not HAVE to do the DIY stuff all the time.

Additionally, I can turn on equipment with LOR but to have full control of intelligent DMX equipment is a big plus. So the DMX is a great improvement I look forward to.

On the other hand, I will still be using a bunch of regular equipment like staight lights so the LOR is still PERFECT for that. I think it will be a great match.

I am trying to find the right fountain heads to use with LOR for fountain displays. The ones I have tried do not seem to work well controlling volume so far. Anyone have any DMX fountainheads!? ;)

• The topic was locked