Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer power cords for DIY?

Guest guest

Hi, just had a light bulb go on over my head
I work in IT, and we roll out maybe 500 computers a year
We very rarely replace the power cords unless they are really grubby
The power cords are being thrown out for the most part

Is this what people can or do use for the DIT kits??

I have tons of these cords sitting around too.. I think I am going to use them for building some 16 channel boards.. although the female end is different than a standard unit, its not that hard to clip the old ones off and put a new one in place of it.

The cord is cheap. I just haven't had any luck finding replacement connectors.

I went to OSH and they wanted a couple bucks apiece for just the outlet connector. I much prefer the sealed plugs and for a couple dollars, I can buy them from Dan already prepped.

If you didn't need much power on a circuit, you could use SPT1 or SPT2 wire with the vampire connectors. Anyone found a cheap source for these?

Jason

if they are computer cords they have a male plug and the other end is more then likly a IEC plug which is the standard connection for a PC power supply and wont really do you much good
and as was allready said most of these arent very heavy gauge wire you generally only get even a 14g power cord with a pretty big server

I bought my power in (male) cords from Dan @ LOR. At best you need two. This is where I chose to spend the money. When I needed 32 cords, I started shopping for bargains....

I wanted grounded power out (female) cords and found a deal online at

bb-trading.com
Item# BB 6LC-143FC
6’ Female Line Cord
Lot of 10 / $0.95
1-9 / 1.25

My next LOR boxes will not be grounded- so I'll probably use a generic spt type cord.

Tad

LightORama wrote:

Another thing to check. A lot of PC power cords are 18awg wire. 18 is ok for outputs but you want at least 16 better with 14 for power in.

Perfect statement. However living in a warm climate and we are known to have some 75 degree nights I personally use #12 cords (go get a $30 25 ft cord and cut off female end and dedicate the cord for use with computer controller) and I can state that controllers ramping up to using near full 15 amp capacity even with #12, the cord gets quite warm on these warmer December nights. On cold 50 degree or cooler nights, the warmth of the cord is insignificant.

Yeah, PC cords won't work too well. Most PC's usually pull 5a max, can't imagine the caords are heavy duty. They are getting thinner every year

The female end is not standard, I do remember using one years ago in an "emergency" (pre-this christmas buy of 48+ extension cords)

That's a good link, thanks. No green cords tho
They also have 8' cords w/built in GFCI for .95 each

.39 for 6' cords instead of $1.24 at HD, I could have bought 3x as much!!

Tad wrote:

I bought my power in (male) cords from Dan @ LOR. At best you need two. This is where I chose to spend the money. When I needed 32 cords, I started shopping for bargains....

I wanted grounded power out (female) cords and found a deal online at

bb-trading.com
Item# BB 6LC-143FC
6’ Female Line Cord
Lot of 10 / $0.95
1-9 / 1.25

My next LOR boxes will not be grounded- so I'll probably use a generic spt type cord.

Tad

Unfortunately this lead did not pan out. Much of what they carry is surplus -- no problem with that except it means stock is limited and not replenished. I just tried to order 32 of these female line cords, but they are completely out of them. And despite a fair amount of effort on their part to help identify a possible substitute, they currently have nothing that is suitable for less than about $2.25ea in quantity.

So I'm still looking... Anyone else have any leads?

Thanks,

Joe