Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR SAVES ELECTRICITY $55.00 for a 50,000 light display

Guest guest

I have found another loving for LOR, which my neighbors probably are going to hate even more. It saves big bucks on electricity.
The trick to saving big dollars on electricity with LOR is have constant shows running back to back. Do not do this little 15 minutes of no show with all the lights burning, then do a 3 minute show. That 15mins of no show is going to kill the power bill. If you have your lights continously dancing from 5pm until 10pm like I did, you'll be happy with your electric bill. Our average electric bill is $30 a month and or actual reading for the month of December was $85.00. It cost me $55.00 to run the light show for 39 days. Just a little more than a $1.00 a day.
Everyone else around me, who did static displays are saying they pay about $8.00 a day. Another reason to use LOR less electricity.
I had to share a good benefit of LOR and hope more people will use it.

Craig

now i have more of a reason to anticipate buying the 32 channel package for next year. i ran 6375 lights this year static and only paid 60 bucks more (but im adding a lil over 13000 more for next year so it might even out and be the same lol)

Attached files 115238=6864-east side.jpg

Well...we have alot of power usage in my house everyday, but during Christmas in particular. With 5 inside trees, 8000 outside lights, 16 channels of LOR, an inground pool on 2 hours a day...7 people with tvs on and off all day.....Our bill was $199.00.

I attribute $25 to $30 of that bill the LOR light show.

I plan on adding 32 more channels next year...

My combination gas/electric bill was $319 this year. While that seems high (I always have high bills it seems like), it's about $100 less than last year. About half that can be attributed to the gas bill, as a warmer than normal December meant less heat, and half to the electric bill, due to the LOR show. I'm sure the 400 LEDs I had in the display helped tremendously also. :laughing:

Not bad. For the most part it broadcasted out to the street fine. At first, I was having problems, and tried using different antennas and such. But then I simply changed the radio station, and it was much, much clearer. Overall, worked well.

My NORMAL bill used to be around $300
DO NOT start a Saltwater aquarium hobby :shock:
I changed the way I run my (3) dehumidifiers run, and changed a pump
My electric bill droppped about $100 a month!!

Last Christmas the bill was $490
This year I expect the same or more with 10,000w static
I am moving to LOTs of LED (sales!!) and LOR to save on electric
I can say I save on electric, but not $$
As it would be MUCH less expensive to simply pay the 1 month electric bill :laughing:

LEDs savings in the short run are unheard of at the moment. You will not see savings with LEDs until after the 2nd or 3rd year. The upfront cost on LEDs is insane, but I see the price is beginning to fall. I was able to get LED strings for $3.25 the week after Christmas, which were originally $12.99. Even at $12.99 a string, I wouldn't find the cost effective worth it for about 2 years.
Considering if I went 50,000 LEDS at $12.99 a string of 60 I would be 834 strings by $12.99 would cost $10833.66 and at $3.25 it would be expensive at: $2710.50.
I am finding out it was actually cheaper about $35.00 to run the 50,000 incadecent lights on LOR with NO STATIC display. I still haven't got the savings from the purchase of 4 controllers at $1300 (includes shipping and all the other accessories). I think after next year the controllers should be paid off.
I have started to switch over to LED, but it'll be a few years before I am fully LED unless I can get single LED bulbs dirt cheap. Everyone wants to sell me the bulbs for $0.05 a piece, but I am buying strings of 60 at $3.25 which includes resistors, wires, heat shrink tubing, plugs, and already assembled.
I would hold off to dumping coin in LEDs until the price comes down.
C.......

MontanaChristmas wrote:

LEDs savings in the short run are unheard of at the moment. You will not see savings with LEDs until after the 2nd or 3rd year. The upfront cost on LEDs is insane, but I see the price is beginning to fall. I was able to get LED strings for $3.25 the week after Christmas, which were originally $12.99. Even at $12.99 a string, I wouldn't find the cost effective worth it for about 2 years.
Considering if I went 50,000 LEDS at $12.99 a string of 60 I would be 834 strings by $12.99 would cost $10833.66 and at $3.25 it would be expensive at: $2710.50.
I am finding out it was actually cheaper about $35.00 to run the 50,000 incadecent lights on LOR with NO STATIC display. I still haven't got the savings from the purchase of 4 controllers at $1300 (includes shipping and all the other accessories). I think after next year the controllers should be paid off.
I have started to switch over to LED, but it'll be a few years before I am fully LED unless I can get single LED bulbs dirt cheap. Everyone wants to sell me the bulbs for $0.05 a piece, but I am buying strings of 60 at $3.25 which includes resistors, wires, heat shrink tubing, plugs, and already assembled.
I would hold off to dumping coin in LEDs until the price comes down.
C.......

Or you can "selectively" convert particular colors. White, blue and green are the expensive LED lights but 29 ft X 70 count reds and golds are under $7 at animatedlighting.com. I think big displays with mine included, no way we can convert everything at once. It will be a multiyear build up converting over. One idea is yellow/blue color changing colorwave lights are about $19 a string, seems pricey but if you can rewire the controller to take command of the string, well you get yellow, blue and green out of the same set and all colors in between these if you have color changing requirements.

If you have problem spots like areas that throw breakers, heat main power cords up or blow fuses on your Light O Rama controller, maybe concentrate on converting portions of these areas with LED lights to get your power consumption in these zones down and you gradually earn in an electric bill savings. 20 sets of lights will save you about 5 amps which can mean a lot, maybe even save you from having to get an additional controller!

I'm changing over each year as I buy on sale
One 7' white tree in the front yard uses 450w
I bought 7 LED trees that use use less then 25w combined for $10 each
I bought a lot of LED's at 75% off
That is the only way I can start to convert

I buy each year at the sales for the following years setup
But if I want white or green I will need to buy them pre-sale as their are never any left. So most of my LEDS are red & blue for now

Oh yeah... keeping those shows running definitely saves real dollars. Last year we has a static 16,000 light display. Our electric bill was $180. This year we had 26,000 + synchronized from 5 to 11 (midnight on weekends.) The bill? $85. Nearly $100 savings with more lights and a lot more interest!!

I am trying that logic on my wife to get her blessing to buy more lights and more controllers. After all, she is the one who comes home from the mall with an armful of shopping bags telling me how much money she saved.

rdensic wrote:

Oh yeah... keeping those shows running definitely saves real dollars. Last year we has a static 16,000 light display. Our electric bill was $180. This year we had 26,000 + synchronized from 5 to 11 (midnight on weekends.) The bill? $85. Nearly $100 savings with more lights and a lot more interest!!

I am trying that logic on my wife to get her blessing to buy more lights and more controllers. After all, she is the one who comes home from the mall with an armful of shopping bags telling me how much money she saved.

You must be a newlywed :] Otherwise, you would realize that the shopping mall logic will not work. Regardless of what she gets at the mall, it is a necessity for her. For you, it's just a toy and all wives know that toys are not necessary.

our bill this year for 72,000 lights was $145.00 for the month of december, it ran from 5:30 to 11:00, and midnight on the weekends, i am guessing alot of the bill came from the 19 inflatable motors we had running

scuba dave,

i know what you mean about the saltwater hobby, i have a 240 built in the wall in the basement, i took down our 90 gallon to try and save some money, at one time i had 5 tanks running, if anybody thinks payin for your lights at christmas is expensive, listen to scuba and I about saltwater fish

bob

I have a 125g show tank, 75g frag tank in the basement, 40g sump
Upgrading to a 180g show, 130g sump, 125g wil be frag tank

THEN, if I have any $$ left, there is a 325g & a 150g sump for the addition
I hate to say I have an Excel spreadsheet going back years on what I have spent

When you run 750w of light 8+ hours a day, saving every penny in electricity really counts. I OWN the electric bill, wife will not touch it!!

2005 Xmas lights included about 7,000 static lites and ran 5-10:30PM from Thanksgiving to New Years. December 2005's bill was $239 for electricity only.

2006 Xmas show had 14,000+ lites with same schedule and similar weather (we heat with electric), but using LOR animation for all but the first 30-60 minutes. Electric cost $176.

So the wife was happy. "A happy wife means a happy life."

Bought 12,000 more lites after this Xmas. Maybe the bill will go down even more...