Light-O-Rama Forums

Previewing a sequence

Guest guest

I'm having some weirdness with the sequence editor. I resisted synching TSO's Wizards in Winter for as long as I could but broke down yesterday and did it. When playing the sequence for review (with and without the animation window), the music plays but the grid gets stuck then jumps ahead to catch up repeatedly. When I saw this happening, I thought I had just wasted 3 1/2 hours but the show played just fine, awesome to be exact.

Another glitch with the editor is that sometimes the music won't play when using the play visible screen option, but if I slide the sequence a little before or after the glitchy point, the music will play.

Anyone else having these issues? What are you doing to work around or fix them?

The jump ahead is fairly common with the Sequence Editor... As you said it does not affect the show.

In many cases it can be minimized by adjusting the Hardware Acceleration level for you video card. To adjust Hardware Acceleration:

Right Click on your Desktop->Properties->Advanced->TroubleShoot ... In most cases turing Hardware acceleration off improves the situation. Try a couple of settings and see what happens.

I have not heard about the "Play Visable Screen" not starting the music... Most of the code in the Sequence Editor has been re-written for LOR II. We will double check this area.

I noticed this last nite also, using the demo version. It looks like the music media takes a fraction of a second to start up after play is pressed. but the sequence is able to take off and run immediatly. I think I was working in 1/10 increments last nite. It would take maybe a 2/10 of a sec for the music to start.

Hope this helps a little more Dan.

Nealius wrote:

I noticed this last nite also, using the demo version. It looks like the music media takes a fraction of a second to start up after play is pressed. but the sequence is able to take off and run immediatly. I think I was working in 1/10 increments last nite. It would take maybe a 2/10 of a sec for the music to start.

That is an interesting observation. My guess is that the song has a short silence at the beginning. The LOR software does not play the music and the sequence independently. A Musical Sequence uses the timer from Windows Media Player (Actually it uses the current position in the song as related by Windows Media Player. I believe that the position is given in 1/1000s of a second).... The Sequence has a 1/100th of a second resolution...

Nealius wrote:

Just to clarify. I was working in the middle of the song. I just worked around it by moving my visible section back some.

Thanks... We have had some people with issue using the "Play Visable Screen" option. Especially with variable rate MP3s there is almost always an issue.

We are re-writing the user interface so we hope that such things are eleminated. The internals of the program have become much simpler or much better organized so that the potential for issues has been reduced. We hope folks will find it easier to use but with much more powerful tools than the existing code....