Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PG2-V1.04 - Can this unit be run by DMX?

kvnschmdt

Hello -
I am trying to operate my CTB16PC with DMX - however it isn't responding.
According to the LOR hardware utility, the board inside the unit is CTB16PG2-V1.04 - so according to the the lightorama firmware site this is the latest firmware... and according to LOR, if you have firmware 4.20 or higher, the controller will work with DMX.

I just want to be sure - is CTB16PG2-V1.04 higher than version 4.20? or do I need to upgrade to get this to work?

Or should I start checking the crossover cable that I made....

Best,
K

If im not mistaked the Gen3 firmware can run the DMX from the word Go. You can upgrade the firmware but it should be ready for DMX. If your using a LOR485 output you do not need a crossover cable. If you are using them from device output you will need a crossover cable.

First did you setup the sequencer properly for how you want to run the controller. As well the USB485 if thats what your using to be a native DMX output?

Second did you run the Hardware wizard to setup the controller to be aware its now DMX.

The channels and setup change for DMX over standard LOR setup. Read the help files to get it right.

Thanks for the responses everyone...

I am trying to operate the CTB16PC with a DMXIS from enttec. This way I can make my own music and at the same time operate the light-o-rama box.

The DMXIS puts out a DMX signal over an XLR cable, so I made a cross over cable so that it will connect to the CTB16PC.

My CTB16PC works fine when operated by the LightoRama software, so I know that isn't the problem. I have it addressed as "01", so from what I understand, the first 16 DMX addresses (1-16) should operate each of the CTB16PC circuits like a dimmer pack. However, when I try to send information to any of those first 16 channels nothing happens.

I then tried to change the address of the CTB16PC to "02" and to operate the 16 channels with the addresses 17-32 - again no luck.

It could be the length of my XLR cable... this has caused me problems before with using DMX. Or maybe I didn't do the crossover cable right. It could also be my DMXIS... I just got it and don't have any regular DMX fixtures where I am right now to test it with.

If anyone has any other input about how to set up the CTB16PC to be run from DMX I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Im betting its your crossover cable. I assume your using an outside software to do this not LOR. Which is fine but everything in LOR HW has to be setup to do what your trying to do.

DMX can run hundreds if not thousands of feet.

Are you getting a steady RED light on the CBT16PC?

If not the cable could the wired wrong. You can have the DATA + & - reverses or the data wires not going to pins 4 & 5 on the CBT16PC Input jack.

If you are using the Hardware Utility Control Panel to verify the channels, it will not work. The HU is only for the LOR Protocol.

You will need to make a test sequence with your channels assigned as DMX Pro and make sure the LOR Control Panel is running also before running the sequence.

Thanks Dennins -
just to verify - if a red light goes on on the CTB16PC board then it knows that it is running from DMX and not LOR?

I don't know yet if a red light came on - I have to pull the CTB16PC down from the roof of the tower I am rigging and test it. Going to do that now.

Best,
K

William -
Can you expain a bit more what you mean by:
"Which is fine but everything in LOR HW has to be setup to do what your trying to do. "

Is there something I need to do with the LOR Hardware Utility first, before I try to plug the unit into straight DMX coming from my DMXIS?

Best,
K

kvnschmdt wrote:

Thanks Dennins -
just to verify - if a red light goes on on the CTB16PC board then it knows that it is running from DMX and not LOR?

I don't know yet if a red light came on - I have to pull the CTB16PC down from the roof of the tower I am rigging and test it. Going to do that now.

Best,
K
The RED light will flash when no LOR or DMX signal is present but be steady when it recognizes either communication signals.

• The topic was locked