Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling fire with lor

Guest guest

I was looking at doing a display that would shoot fire into the air. Does anyone know how to control the gas line of a propane tank and the electirc starter with an LOR? Any suggestions would greatly help. Thanks Clint:waycool:

You would need something along the lines of this:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,11826.htm

And also some sort of pilot light. Either from an old stove or if you wanted you could probably invole an ignition coil out of a car and a spark plug.

Now that I tell you this... You have to tell me that you won't kill yourself. It is hard to control stuff like this. You can easily get a flame, but the problem is getting it to go out. It will continue to burn once its lit even if you turn off the sparker. If you closed the propane valve 1 of two things could happen, it could work fine, or the flame could travel back into the bottle causing a large explosion.You would nee some sort of snuffer to put it out a few seconds before closing the valve. Now this is all that I've learned from reading so I may be missing some parts so take a chance to look it up yourself.

Zac

I do industrial combustion for a living. First of all a flame cannot go down a tube or pipe full of propane/natural gas because there is no oxygen to support combustion. To get a flame lit you would need: 1. a suitable burner design that would mix air and fuel together as it came out of the pipe. 2. A regulator to drop the pressure to something more usable say in the inches of water range. 3. An electric solenoid valve 120 or 24 volts ac. They come in sizes from 1/4" to 2" pipe size. 4. A 6000 volt ignition transformer and an electrode to provide the spark. Really easy stuff and I would say that you would have $35 for regulator,$80-125 for a solenoid valve, $140 for the transformer and electrode. The burner you could make at minimal investment.

If you wanted to get fancy you could add a flame safety device for about $500 to sequence and monitor the the flame but since the flame would be in the open air there is no worry about a combustion chamber explosion.

If you want a big fire ball for that special event or showing try this. Take a 5 gal bucket. Provide an electrical ignition source such as a piece of nichrome wire, a small amount of black powder say 1/2 a cup as a lifting charge and cover the ignition source with with it. Then go to sam's and get bulk coffee creamer and cover the black powder with about 3-5 lbs of it. When you set it off it sets off a large orange fireball. I learned that trick from a pyro tech at a display I was helping to set up. He did tell me that if you want to start small use a coffee can to start out with.