Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple controllers on one 15 amp circuit?

Ineedmorelights

Hello all,

I cannot find this anywhere else, but I would greatly appreciate some thoughts on this.

I have a unique problem this year, where I may have more controllers than power outlets. My question is - if the entire controller is only controlling about 2 amps worth of lights, can you have another controller (also only controlling 2 amps of lights) on the same 15 amp outlet?

This would be 4 amps controlled by 4 banks on one power strip. If so, would anyone go up to say five controllers, each controlling a small amperage, on one outlet if the total of all the controllers does not exceed say 14 amps (just for safety)?

Thanks for the help!

I run 35 controllers on only (4) 15 Amp breakers...and those breakers also run things in the house...

but I am running 100% LED's...

Ineedmorelights wrote:

Hello all,

I cannot find this anywhere else, but I would greatly appreciate some thoughts on this.

I have a unique problem this year, where I may have more controllers than power outlets. My question is - if the entire controller is only controlling about 2 amps worth of lights, can you have another controller (also only controlling 2 amps of lights) on the same 15 amp outlet?

This would be 4 amps controlled by 4 banks on one power strip. If so, would anyone go up to say five controllers, each controlling a small amperage, on one outlet if the total of all the controllers does not exceed say 14 amps (just for safety)?

Thanks for the help!

So long as you don't exceed the rating on the electrical circuit you are connecting to (in this case, the 15amp outlet) I wouldn't see any issues with doing that.

If fact, I've been known to have more than on controller on a circuit in my home display. Just have to stay within the limitations of the circuit. (And, for what it's worth, I usually stick to an 80% rule of a circuit. So for a 15amp circuit I would not go over 12amps. That's just my opinion.)

They have amp meters to measure your load if you are unsure about how much power you are actually using. I run five controllers on one 15 amp circuit. Of course I am using LEDs on all of these controllers.

As others have mentioned, keep a check on your amperage draw.

I plugged my whole display thru a dozen controllers into "one household outlet" on the front porch, but I'm using "all LED" too.

Here is my display. Again, using one outlet.

Attached files 315686=17229-House lights 2011.JPG

I run 9 controllers (90% LED Lights) out of one outlet with no problems. To be safe and avoid breakers popping, measure your usage while full on to make sure you are under the 15 amp draw.

Yes I am also about 98% LED. Just a few blow molds with a 60W bulb, but not on all of the time.

Some have mentioned a device to use to help you to determine how many amps you are pulling. One name is Kill-A-Watt. You plug this into the outlet and then plug in what ever, up to 15 amps and it will tell you how many amps or how many watts is being drawn on that outlet. Now if you have more outlets on the same breaker. Then you need to either move anything off of that string of outlets. Or figure in the amps of the other devices like a table lamp, in with your lights.

BTW 10 controllers and with everything lit, about 11 amps. LEDs are costly, but cheaper in the long run as far as I am concerned.