Light-O-Rama Forums

Just got my Controllers!

Guest guest

Just got my controllers today (Ordered the 32 Channel Showtime Package with the USB485B) and tried to set them up. It took a little more than I thought it would. Here was what happen and is being posted to avoid it happening with someone else.

Opened box and went to set up USB485B. The book was unclear whether the drivers were on the supplied disk since it said to get them from the website of the vendor and listed a web url. No problem for me though. I am used to doing drivers. Got them and they worked with no problem.

Installed the LOR software then plugged in the first 16 channel controller and tried to follow the instructions. But the hardware setup would not find the controller. After several reboots and looks on the website under FAQ I finaly searched the packing box again to find a small 1 inch by 6 inch piece of paper stuck in the fold of the bottom of the USB box. When I read it I smiled and said cool. The paper said:

NOTICE: When using the USB485B you must use the new Hardware Utility supplied on the driver CD. Just drag this file over to your LOR folder.

"Good" I thought- I can do that no sweat.

But wait. There is no file named LORHardware.exe on the driver disk like there is in the LOR directory. There is a setup hardware update file. It is an installation file though- not the file referenced in the itty bitty folded and stuck in the cardboard note.

But maybe they changed it from a drag and drop to an installer package for people who could not find the files. (I was reaching here) So I double clicked it. When it ran it said it would update my software. When I said OK I agree to the license, it came back and said Lightorama was not installed on my system. What? I have been running it I thought.

To make a long story short after scatching my head awhile- I ended up UPDATING my system software from the website AND THEN running the update included on my driver disk that came with the package. It worked fine then and the controller popped right up.

SO- to wrap this up. I think a little more work is need to make sure the user can just 1-2-3 be up and running. Maybe I am wrong but I think many would have called tech support or been more frustrated.

There was nothing saying I needed to update to the latest LOR version before running the hardware update.

It would be nice to have the software automatically check upon running for an update. Or at least have an option for starting an update search.

Anyway- playing with the controllers now and can't wait for Christmas.

Rusty Walker

I think that this would have been something best shared with Dan at LOR, instead of here in an open forum.

I know from personnel experience that Dan will do what ever is required to ensure his product is of the finest of quality, and if there is a problem with either instructions, hardware or software, he will do what ever is required to make sure that what ever changes are required are taken care of in a timely matter, and to make sure that anyone who is affected will be advised of any issues.

How many company's do you know of that will send replacement controllers without receiving the original controllers prior to replacement?

Dan is one of the hardest working, most loyal vendors I have ever had the privilege of working with, and that is why you will find so many people here at P.C. who will swear by LOR and would never use any other product.

I just wish every American company had the for-sight to do what LOR does to ensure a quality product, If all American manufactures were as concerned with costumer satisfaction vs. a profit, then we would all be much be better off and all of our lives would be much better off.and the company's in question would have a much more loyal customer base, which in the long and short run does mean more profit.

Bill

Rusty,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate you helping other PCers out.

Dan, Mary, and John are great about standing behind their product. They have helped me several times with information.

Good luck!

Michael B

Hey guys!
Never said LOR wouldn't stand behind their product. Just telling of the experience I had taking it out of the box.

I ASSUME many people are like me and just bought the controllers for next Christmas.I wanted to:
1) Let them know what I did to make it work (in an open forum since there is no FAQ about it)
2) Let LOR know how the package came to me.

I own SEVERAL businesses and unless I hear about a problem personally, I cannot take steps to correct it. If a client calls one of my employees I certainly expect them to handle it- but that doesn't mean the underlying cause gets handled.

So- this isn't a negative criticism- this is a statement of fact. And further in fact, once I finaly got the right versions loaded, it worked like a champ right away.

Can't wait to get going.

Rusty

FBinthesouth wrote:

...Let them know what I did to make it work (in an open forum since there is no FAQ about it)

Thanks for your thoughts Rusty.

There is a FAQ on the LOR web site HERE but it may not answer the type of questions you had.
The LOR web site support section has the latest Firmware and Hardware Utility information HERE.

Welcome to the group and glad you got your controllers working!

I gotta agree with Rusty that any information people can provide to help others get up and running is worth posting.

Dan reads the forum as well, and can incorporate whatever changes he sees fit based on the feedback here. It's not all going to be 100% positive, as there will always be bugs, etc....

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct... We changed the Hardware Utiilty on the CD to a install executable but the little message still reads drag the file. I will have the author of the user guide review the wording and make sure it is clear that the CD contains the drivers.

No sweat. Thanks for the update.
Please note though that running the hardware install utility came back with an error UNTIL I updated the software from the website.

Take care. Will be ordering the new kit when it is available.

Rusty

FBinthesouth wrote:

No sweat. Thanks for the update.
Please note though that running the hardware install utility came back with an error UNTIL I updated the software from the website.

Take care. Will be ordering the new kit when it is available.

Rusty

Rusty,

Do you recall what the error message was?

Rusty,

I'm almost ready to order my 128 channel system and very much appreciate the feedback you gave. I do a lot of research online in forums like this before buying so when I get the product I already know any "glitches" and how to fix them. I've bookmarked this link so when mine comes I have it in my back pocket.

(I don't believe the intent of Rusty was ill willed in anyway, just informative) It's great to see and issue (problem) and the resulting fix.

The only thing at this point holding me up is Creative Displays is out of the C6 Led Pro Full spectrum lights (after researching the best LED's to use with LOR) so there isn't any need to buy the hardware if I don't have the lights I'm going to use to hook up to it to "test" as I do along... so unless anyone else knows anywhere else to get some in USA or Canada please share.

I've tried all our stores around here in Toronto Area and all have already sold out.

Any online places?? (actually I don't want to hijack this, i'll post a new thread.)

Thx again Rusty.

DetoritDr (ready to buy custoemr)

Error message- I didn't write it down- (Boy that's bad for a software engineer isn't it?)
but it was a "Light-O-Rama is not installed on your system. This is an update" kind of error. It came right after agreeing to the license.

Sorry I didn't write it. I assumed it would be obvious to you. FYI- I run Win 2k.

"I'm almost ready to order my 128 channel system and very much appreciate the feedback you gave. "

That was the reason I did it. Glad it helped. It worked and seems to be built very well- just a few glitches that may have been more or less frustrating for someone else-
And in hindsight- I would have ordered the 128 channel system too now that I am in design mode.

I'm just going to fill out channels with kits I believe when they are available.

Rusty

Rusty,

I'm not sure if this is related, but I saw a similar error message when I was loading the LOR software on my new WinXP machine (Christmas present) a couple of weeks ago.

What I did wrong was install the LOR software and then immediately try to install the 1.6.1 upgrade when the error popped up. Since the upgrade worked fine on my old Win98 machine, I scratched my head a few times, uninstalled and tried again. The second time, I paid a little closer attention to the error message, and noticed that it said something to the effect that the LOR software must be installed and ran first. So, I started the sequence editor, it asked a couple of questions about where to put the LOR files, and then it finished the installation. After that the upgrade worked fine.

Could this have been similar to what happened to you?

No. Remember I was running the software. I had pulled it up to make sure it was loaded and even played with some sequencing.

I did not pull up EVERY application. Just the hardware and sequencer exes.

But I was not jotting notes at the time and when I ran the 1.6.1 upgrade from the website it installed perfectly. It was the hardware update that came on the driver disk that gave me the problem.

But I have "many" computers at the house and will be installing the software on an alternate computer (the one I am dedicating to Christmas) in the next few weeks.

I will definitely pay attention to the order and jot notes so this error can be put to bed if it is replicated.

Thanks for the note-

RW