Light-O-Rama Forums

Let the building begin!

Arnoldc

These are the trees that I am replacing from last year.. I had many issues with these.. the final straw was the outdoor trees are not really outdoor.. I couldnt take the bloody things apart after the season.. Even with WD-40!

These are the trees that I am replacing from last year.. I had many issues with these.. the final straw was the outdoor trees are not really outdoor.. I couldnt take the bloody things apart after the season.. Even with WD-40!

post-6842-0-50767900-1350442616_thumb.jp

There are several reasons that people use garland.. In the case, I wanted to hide controllers.. And the garland does a great job of that.. Plus, I don't like the look of a bunch of wires at night or daytime.. So the garland also hides that. Its all preferance. These trees are 5' tall x 2 1/2' wide at base.. I redid them and have 300 of red white and blue.. Honestly, the white seems to be lacking.. Course, Im using LEDs for everything but white... that's the difference.

I also have tomato cages that sit about 4' in front of these.. Now those Im just using lights.. No garland on those..

Here are 2 of the 6 trees that have been completed. I am a lot happier with these than the first one.

Arnold

Those look alot better.

"Question from someone that has never built props (I only use what is growing or built like a house). Is the only reason you wrap the trees with garland is to make them look good in daylight? I have to build 5 4' trees but was just going to do lights, lol not even sure how many lights I will use."

Using garland is a perference. Just like I don't like the look of tomoato cages. they look funny to me toward the top and I also don't like seeing the cords.

Arnold is right...it's mainly to hide things they you don't want to see.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Those look alot better.

"Question from someone that has never built props (I only use what is growing or built like a house). Is the only reason you wrap the trees with garland is to make them look good in daylight? I have to build 5 4' trees but was just going to do lights, lol not even sure how many lights I will use."

Using garland is a perference. Just like I don't like the look of tomoato cages. they look funny to me toward the top and I also don't like seeing the cords.

Arnold is right...it's mainly to hide things they you don't want to see.

Thanks.. Trying to hurry up and get these knocked off the to do list.. I'm so far behind this year.. Partly due to the late arrival of lights, and a small Halloween project that I wasn't expecting to do. It gets bad when you blow off dates to work on Christmas stuff! As it stands, I am about 3 weeks behind..

I will finish 2 more trees tonight, and the last 2 tomorrow. Next week, I need to focus on my redo of the wreath, I have a lot of pixels that go on it.. Since I start putting up the roof elements in 2 weeks, I need to get my rear in gear..

Once the roof stuff is done, I start putting things on all the non-grassy areas. then the weekend before Thanksgiving, I put everything else out..

the to do list as of today

4 more trees

16 tomato trees

2 3-d stars

wreath

4 controller stands

and need more beer!

Arnoldc

I sympathyze with your what you have left to do. My suggestions would be to alter your to do list a little as follows:

Beer

4 more trees

Beer

16 tomato trees (beer between every 2-4 trees)

etc.

Remember-----beer is like extension cords, you can never have enough!

Arnoldc

I sympathyze with your what you have left to do. My suggestions would be to alter your to do list a little as follows:

Beer

4 more trees

Beer

etc.

That's true until you wake up the next day in the driveway with no shirt...... :lol:

But then you realize your display is up :D

Arnoldc

Beer

4 more trees

Beer

etc.

Edited by jeff bush

Mega Tree is up. It's 28' total hieght. It was a pain to get up with only two people but it's up. A few little tweeks left.

got the lights on last night so I'll have pics later.

Can't attach my wreath picture.. I croped the living daylights out of it, also compressed it.. 9.28k seems very small personally..

Anyways, I am focusing on getting the wreath done. I have redone the garland on it, and fixed the exiisting lights as needed. I also started adding my pixels to the wreath.. I am stoked to see how this looks! I can't test til Thursday, as my controller is being used for my halloween display. Roof lights go up this weekend! I hope the weather holds!

Arnold

PS. Ill try to attach picture in a few days, with everything on!

Well, I couldn't wait for Thrusday to test these pixels out on my wreath. The wreath still has 200 of red, blue, green and clear LED lights on it. But last year, my biggest complaint that there was not a lot of action on the roof line area. So, thanks to Jeff for helping me get my feet wet in the pixel arena I added 200 pixels to this bad boy.. I got to admit. ITS BRIGHT!! I am excited to see what the pixels on the roof plus this will look like! Come-on Saturday!

https://vimeo.com/52435936

BTW, I need to remember which plug goes to what.. I had 1,2, 3,4 mixed up when I made this video.. I fixed it, just to lazy to redo the video...

Edited by Arnoldc

Mega Tree is up. It's 28' total hieght. It was a pain to get up with only two people but it's up. A few little tweeks left.

got the lights on last night so I'll have pics later.

Now, that is a tree! It beats my 12' mega trees in a heart beat!

Now, that is a tree! It beats my 12' mega trees in a heart beat!

You should have seen the looks from all the niehbors when i was putting it up. It's acutally taller than my house. didn't think it was going to be that big. maybe I'll cut off a few feet next year. This year being in a new house is killing me trying to get everything redesigned to fit. the tree is new this year and I already have 10hrs into getting it together and up, and still have to get the wires to the controller.

It does look sweet at night. Very pleased with how it turned out.

hope we have good weather this weekend. NASCAR race will keep me home all weekend so I've got time to work on the lights.

Well, today I got a lot done! All the roof elements are up and ready to rock! I posted a Video of just the pixels running.. I wanted to see what they actually look like! And the neighbors think I am a little nuts now...

The video should be ready around 1115 CST today..

• Like 1