Light-O-Rama Forums

Let the building begin!

Arnoldc

Last year, I had 6 mini trees I got from a local store around here. They worked great, minus the wind blowing them over issue, until it was time for tear down. When I started taking these outdoor trees apart, I found out that they got well rusted together, making some of them very difficult to deal with.
With many thoughts and my expansion of this years display, Ive decided to do the PVC tree route. Now, I do plan on putting garland around all these trees, and hiding controllers in them.
They are 5' tall, 30" wide at the base, using 1/2" pvc (except for the prototype).
I will start hunting the garland stuff down soon, I think Hobby Lobby sells that stuff year around so Ill stock up! Then, try to get all the lights on them before the summer heat kicks in.
I also got 32 xs-mini trees that I need to make, waiting on tomato cages to go on sale for that one!

Attached files 315306=17214-2012-04-28 17.00.36.jpg

• Like 1

Aaron, there are 400 of each red blue clear. Each on its on channel per tree. So 18 channels and 7200 lights for all 6 trees.
next year I will add green.

Arnold

You said you'll wrap with garland also (I did my mini-cages that way) but will the angles of the vertical pipe be hidden enough? Just wondering.. will those be set back far enough where you wouldnt see they 'arent round'?

I plan on wrapping them pretty tightly, will not know til' I get the garland.. The trees themselves stay back from the street about 15' or so.. If I can see the corners too easily, I will add a string on each corner, to help break up the sharp corners.. I will not know til' I get the garland and take a look at them..

• 1 month later...

I already made a one and it turned out great I think it was 3' tall with a 2' base. i wraped it with three 50' garland from hobby lobby. i used 7strings (100)led (white/multi color). they are extremely bright. and with the graland you can not tell they are not round.

i'm moving this week so i'll have to post some pictures later.

Those look great. Will they stack decently for storage? Always one of my biggest concerns...

If it were me, I'd probably hit them with some black paint just to hide any white creeping out, especially if the garland ever slides around. You don't have to do a perfect job since it will be covered... Relatively cheap and easy...

I painted mine black first. I'm a rip tie nut so my garland isn't going anywhere. i drilled hole up the PVC every 2". Lights are spaced using the 2" hole as the string wraps around the tree.

so glad the edit button is back.

I plan on getting back to this project in the coming weeks. I'm having a hard time finding garland, so after the 4th I'll start looking again.
I agree hitting them with a shot of black. I figure I can do that at the same day I start adding garland.

Those look familiar! :) I have two each that are 3', 4' and 5'. They make a little forest in the corner of my yard. I started with just clear last year and am adding green this year. I think I have 100ct for each foot tall. I got my garland at a dollor store. I waited until after the holidays and bought all they had for $1 per bundle.

I did paint the frames black before final wrapping. As you can see below, the base is visible. This is one of my 3' trees. Also I used 3/4" pvc as that is what I had laying around.

Attached files 320045=17468-tree lit.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I did.

3' tall

7 strings of (50) white LED

7 strings of (50) Multi color LED

1/2" PVC painted black

4- 50' garland

Edited by dknahoolewa

Just finished another tree yesterday. I need to correct myself.

2.5 (50') garland.

Not bad 2 1/2 trees for 50' of garland. So I'm guessing 1 tree of mine for 50' of garland.. I was budgeting 100' per tree.. ill start picking up stuff this weekend!

Arnoldc...it took about 125' of garland for one 3' tree. originally i thought i was using 200' feet.