Light-O-Rama Forums

Feedback on Wireless LOR hardware

Guest guest

Hi all,
With the season pretty much over it is time to start thinking about next year. I am considering going to the wireless setup next year. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from those of you that have used the wireless setup. I currenty have two 16 channel controllers and will probably be adding a 3rd one next year as well. I live in AZ so weather is normally not an issue this time of year. Thanks a bunch.

Flanman

I used the ELL's from my computer to the first controller out side, then CAT5 to other two controllers. It was easier this way than having to run a CAT5 cable out of the house. I had ZERO problems. They set up easy and worked the whole season with no glitches at all.

James

You can research back when I had problems. Once I got the firmware updated, the newest version of the hardware utility,etc then it went like a breeze. It worked everynight just fine except for one.. dang squirrels had bit through the cat5 cable on the receiver. It works great once it is working. I highly recommend it if you need wireless.

For the ones that respond, can you go into detail of the obsticles/landscape you might have and distance between wireless units?

I'm thinking of going this route as well but obsticles and distance concern me.

Thank you,

Tom

I would also like to know how far of a distance these can reach. I might be hooking up my neighborhood next year and there are spots where I would like to go about 1000'. Anybody do any distance tests? I would like to know what it would be without any obstacles and the units will be within line of sight of each other.

-Richard

Santas Helper wrote:

For the ones that respond, can you go into detail of the obsticles/landscape you might have and distance between wireless units?

I'm thinking of going this route as well but obsticles and distance concern me.

Thank you,

Tom

The only obstacles were one inside wall and one exterior brick wall. The transmitter was probably 20 ft higher than the receiver.

Tom/Richard:

I had my units testing in July and had software issues. Dan put me in touch with John and over a month he got everything perfected. My display has the inside unit attached to the computer and three outside island receiver points. They have performed flawless in cold, rain, snow.

As with any wireless device, metal walls degrade distance. So if you can get outside, then you can set up hops on different channels to go great distances. I don't have any personal experience with that, but from what I have read there are members that have.

Mike

My computer is upstairs and in the very back. My controllers were about 80-90' away. I came to LOR late and didn't have everything set up until the middle of December. I live near Houston which means no snow but rain off and on . My wireless has run perfectly with no problems.

Texian

Another thumbs up ... worked perfectly out of the box.

I particularly liked not having to run a cable through a window or under a door from my PC.

My setup:
PC inside with ELL
ELL outside on my porch and then cable connected to four more controllers
ELL on my east neighbor's porch and then cable connected to another controller
ELL on my west neighbor's porch and then cable connected to another controller

Worked flawlessly the entire month.

First year using LOR and ELL's. Just make sure that the wireless receiver is always standing upright to prevent any water from getting in through the bottom. I also covered it with a sheet of plastic to prevent any chance of water getting into it. Worked the whole season without a hitch.

My inside ELL was sitting on my computer desk. Straight line of sight out front window to outside ELL. Approx same height and guessing around 75-80' distance. Went through typical weather for North Texas, heat, cold, rain, and snow, all from Thankgiving to Christmas, no problems.

lights13.JPG