Light-O-Rama Forums

My First LOR Sequence

ThatDJTroy

Hey All!
Here's my first LOR sequence. I've noticed the sound in the YouTube video is a little off from the lights. But anyway...

I think it looks good. Your defining the beats are nearly perfect and you've got a good parity going with the type of sound versas which lights you want on. I'm a newbie as well so I've not even had my first show yet...coming fast!

dgrant wrote:

I'm a newbie as well so I've not even had my first show yet...coming fast!

Tell me about it! Seems like it was just January last week!

As I mentioned, the video's sound is a bit out of synchronization with what is seen -probably because I shot it with, and uploaded it from my phone. The actual simulation file syncs better :)

I've sequenced 20 songs/tunes already but since I retired, I've got the time to do it. They're all done other than refining here and there plus I went from 32 channels initially to now 96...so I had to go back and refine all the songs. I heard in here that it takes about 10 hours a minute of music to sequence doing a good job. I spend about 3 hours for the whole song therefore an average of 3 hours a minute for me. Then I connected the the first 32 channels to actual strings laying on the floor to get a better idea of the shimmering and twinkling, then refined some more! Since I don't know anyone here personally who's done this, I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not but it is what it is. As far as I know, there's only one other person in the area who does this and supposedly spent a million dollars on their display, therefore guessing if they have that kind of money, they paid someone to do the sequencing too. Their display is pretty good from the videos I've seen but frankly, I think it could be better done. Still nice though :D

very nice,you picked a good song to start with good beats short song. very nice job

dgrant wrote:

I've sequenced 20 songs/tunes already but since I retired, I've got the time to do it. They're all done other than refining here and there plus I went from 32 channels initially to now 96...so I had to go back and refine all the songs. I heard in here that it takes about 10 hours a minute of music to sequence doing a good job. I spend about 3 hours for the whole song therefore an average of 3 hours a minute for me. Then I connected the the first 32 channels to actual strings laying on the floor to get a better idea of the shimmering and twinkling, then refined some more! Since I don't know anyone here personally who's done this, I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not but it is what it is. As far as I know, there's only one other person in the area who does this and supposedly spent a million dollars on their display, therefore guessing if they have that kind of money, they paid someone to do the sequencing too. Their display is pretty good from the videos I've seen but frankly, I think it could be better done. Still nice though :D

Been doing this way from day 1 of getting my DC-MP3 Director{January 2010} to connect to my first controller I bought used {December 2009}, then ended up buying 4 more within a few weeks {February 2010}.

I have my workroom set up with the elements, anout 70-80% of them I'll use in my display outside, helps me to get a better visual of what the lights will actually do as the animation is okay, but it just never satisfied me enough to know for sure how the lights/LED's and Blowmold lights would actually react to the sequence.

Just did "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People by popular request from the neighborhood kids and uploaded a rough video, if you search for: Pumped Up Kicks, you'll find my video as well as 2 sequences of the song for download here on the forums. I believe it is in the Halloween area of the forums.

Here's where the video can be found on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/groups/109696/videos/40673980

Great Job Orville.. I am taking the easy way out this year. Found someone that has time to program for me while I am on the road alot.

Troy.. Welcome to the madness.. Please post the location so I can see a million bucks in action.

Orville wrote:

dgrant wrote:
I've sequenced 20 songs/tunes already but since I retired, I've got the time to do it. They're all done other than refining here and there plus I went from 32 channels initially to now 96...so I had to go back and refine all the songs. I heard in here that it takes about 10 hours a minute of music to sequence doing a good job. I spend about 3 hours for the whole song therefore an average of 3 hours a minute for me. Then I connected the the first 32 channels to actual strings laying on the floor to get a better idea of the shimmering and twinkling, then refined some more! Since I don't know anyone here personally who's done this, I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not but it is what it is. As far as I know, there's only one other person in the area who does this and supposedly spent a million dollars on their display, therefore guessing if they have that kind of money, they paid someone to do the sequencing too. Their display is pretty good from the videos I've seen but frankly, I think it could be better done. Still nice though :)

Been doing this way from day 1 of getting my DC-MP3 Director{January 2010} to connect to my first controller I bought used {December 2009}, then ended up buying 4 more within a few weeks {February 2010}.

I have my workroom set up with the elements, anout 70-80% of them I'll use in my display outside, helps me to get a better visual of what the lights will actually do as the animation is okay, but it just never satisfied me enough to know for sure how the lights/LED's and Blowmold lights would actually react to the sequence.

Just did "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People by popular request from the neighborhood kids and uploaded a rough video, if you search for: Pumped Up Kicks, you'll find my video as well as 2 sequences of the song for download here on the forums.   I believe it is in the Halloween area of the forums.

Can you tell me more or refer me to somewhere to learn more about your arches? Look awesome!

Orville wrote:

dgrant wrote:
I've sequenced 20 songs/tunes already but since I retired, I've got the time to do it. They're all done other than refining here and there plus I went from 32 channels initially to now 96...so I had to go back and refine all the songs. I heard in here that it takes about 10 hours a minute of music to sequence doing a good job. I spend about 3 hours for the whole song therefore an average of 3 hours a minute for me. Then I connected the the first 32 channels to actual strings laying on the floor to get a better idea of the shimmering and twinkling, then refined some more! Since I don't know anyone here personally who's done this, I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not but it is what it is. As far as I know, there's only one other person in the area who does this and supposedly spent a million dollars on their display, therefore guessing if they have that kind of money, they paid someone to do the sequencing too. Their display is pretty good from the videos I've seen but frankly, I think it could be better done. Still nice though :)

Been doing this way from day 1 of getting my DC-MP3 Director{January 2010} to connect to my first controller I bought used {December 2009}, then ended up buying 4 more within a few weeks {February 2010}.

Just did "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People by popular request from the neighborhood kids and uploaded a rough video, if you search for: Pumped Up Kicks, you'll find my video as well as 2 sequences of the song for download here on the forums.   I believe it is in the Halloween area of the forums.

The lady of the house here said "No" to doing a Halloween display. I am going to use the FM Transmitter to the garage where I've got a receiver and connected to outdoor speakers so I'll play Halloween type music. I'm tempted to sneak in some sequencing anyway...besides, its my house!

dgrant wrote:

The lady of the house here said "No" to doing a Halloween display.

My lady of the house said: "We need to make our Halloween display bigger. (But nothing scary for the little kids.)"

I had this idea but no clue how to achieve it for Halloween. Since my house is a two story and a downward hillside behind it, I was thinking...lol, yeah, that gets me into trouble real fast...lol...anyway, Having a very large dragon head coming up over the roof of the house from the rear with its head only sticking up and out over the roof. Breathe fire as long as it didn't set the roof on fire. Need some Disney Imagineers to do it and a whole lot of money. Too much work for just one night but it would be cool.

"I had this idea but no clue how to achieve it for Halloween. Since my house is a two story and a downward hillside behind it, I was thinking...lol, yeah, that gets me into trouble real fast...lol...anyway, Having a very large dragon head coming up over the roof of the house from the rear with its head only sticking up and out over the roof. Breathe fire as long as it didn't set the roof on fire. Need some Disney Imagineers to do it and a whole lot of money. Too much work for just one night but it would be cool."

The is exactly what one of my projects was going to be before I move from my last house. It was a two story but the garage had a section that was just one story and big enough to do the dragon.

Pneumatic cylinders for the movement, Red LEDs for the eyes to glow and then just before the fire would shoot, green lasers shooting out of the eyes, I have a large fog machine I was going to use for the smoke.. Propane for the fire.. watering system for the roof!

It was going to have a wire frame and the skin would look much like a Chinese dragon. I figured out the roof mounting, the movement mechanics and the propane.. I had not figure out the dragon skin, I also didn't figure on us moving..

I never did do it.. but what you described brought back that memory.. Please make it happen and share some pictures so I can relive that dream!

dgrant wrote:

Too much work for just one night but it would be cool.

Halloween is only one night and Christmas is only one day.

Some people in my neighborhood have their Halloween stuff up by the end of September.

eurbani wrote:

Technically, traditional Christmas is 12 days.

In the Christian church (which had a good deal to do with Christmas), the Advent season starts on Advent Sunday, near the beginning of December. This season looks and sounds like Christmas. The Christmas season lasts until Epiphany (January 6).

Steven wrote:

eurbani wrote:
Technically, traditional Christmas is 12 days.

In the Christian church (which had a good deal to do with Christmas), the Advent season starts on Advent Sunday, near the beginning of December. This season looks and sounds like Christmas. The Christmas season lasts until Epiphany (January 6).

Or at least from Thanksgiving until New Years' Day!