Light-O-Rama Forums

Question for DMX Brainiacs

magish01

New to this DMX thing, and wanting to spend my money wisely (insert joke about wise and being a LOR user here), I would like to know if the intelligent pixel strings can be hooked up to a LOR DC controller as a dumb string and when E1.31 is supported, then can get what additional equipment is needed without having to spend on the iDMX or Enttec route, or "dumb" pixel string route then upgrade later. Don't want to buy one type of string then have to buy another, but do want to do the RGB dumb route while waiting for E1.31

Thanks for your information

Dave

No, you can't control a pixel string with a standard controller. They don't have any provisions for being controlled like that.

Couple of things here...

First off, you can not control intelligent pixels with the DC controller. The pixels need a data communication line from somewhere and that can not go through the DC controller. You can, however, use the DC controller for dumb pixels.

Now, E1.31 and DMX, while essentially similar, are not the same. E1.31 is a means of transporting DMX but in order to get the DMX data out of an E1.31 network you need some sort of device to do so. Currently you need an E1.31 device that can interrupt E1.31. You can not send E1.31 directly to a DMX device and expect it to react. You could, however, sent the E1.31 to a device that will turn it into 4 DMX networks which can in turn put it into DMX devices.

Yes, a DMX network can also be called a universe.

I like to speak in terms of universes especially when I am dealing with a mix of LOR and DMX. Two different types of universes.

Don't forget to check out this for the ultimate explanation of using DMX and LOR together.

https://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/UnderstandingDMX.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, But as far as I know you still require a DMX controller to be able to define a universe. There are LED RGB IC controllers that cost about $20.00 and use 1 channel on a DMX universe then the level of that channel 0-255 tells the controller what pattern to run. I have never used this in a light show so I don't know how it reacts in that enviornment. I have 4 of these for the 6803 ic controlled pixels that I don't use.

There are inexpensive DMX pixel controllers out there. As for outputting DMX from a computer, you can always use a lor usb 485 adapter.

Depending on the scale that you envision, it might be cheaper to jump to pixels initially and just control them with three channels - then learn the capabilities later.

• The topic was locked