Light-O-Rama Forums

What is it all about

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

I am sitting in my office thinking to myself, why do I put up Chritmas lights, then I am reminded of the reason, when I was a little kid my Dad put up lights, my Grand father put up lights, my Grand mother and Mother decorated the inside of the house, and on top of the tree there was always, and I mean always an Angel on the top of the tree, and as a little kid I asked my Grand parents, why do we decorate our house for Christmas, my Grand father put it best by saying "we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ," no other reason, it was something I strayed from, I always have the nativty set out for people to see, but I have gotten away from why I decorate our house, this isn't a compitition, this is a season that we reflect on the birth of Jesus Christ, I am not interested in cats, I am not interested in light counts, I am not interested why other people do this, I am going back to my roots and can't wait for the upcoming season. If I have offended anyone by this post to bad, take it for what it is, and remeber to be nice.

Don Gillespie wrote:

... there was always, and I mean always an Angel on the top of the tree...

I'm offended almost to the point of being furious that you don't care how many lights I have. What gives you the right to be such a self-centered %#$^*&^???

I don't 'spose any of you Gillespies ever wondered how the angels might feel...

http://www.bobrivers.com/#v8741c6i23

;);):D:D:D:D:D:P

Don Gillespie wrote:

"we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ," no other reason,

well said

I really dont care about the contest I enter them but I really dont care if I win or not

Don Gillespie wrote:

when I was a little kid my Dad put up lights, my Grand father put up lights
My Dad still puts up the same lights my Grandfather used. These are the ones from the 1940's with painted C-7 bulbs and twisted wire. I brought some more modern LED C-7 style last year, but he still uses the old ones. At age 79, he's not going to change.

... this is a season that we reflect on the birth of Jesus Christ,
This is a good time for your post, as many astrologers put the birth of Jesus of Nazareth on April 17, 6BC, based on the alignment of planets that was the "Star of Bethlehem" that the wise men (astrologers) were following. Other biblical scholars place the date of birth sometime in the Fall, from 6 to 4BC, based on clues in the Bible.

George Simmons wrote:

I'm offended almost to the point of being furious that you don't care how many lights I have.  What gives you the right to be such a self-centered %#$^*&^???

+1 LOL

My grandfather put out light (all C-9). I still use some of his strings (for nostalgia and I'm cheap). I even have some of his bulbs that still work (and he has been dead for more than 40 years!)