Light-O-Rama Forums

CCPixels and what to do with them

Ron Boyd

I posted this elswhere and realized I was in the wrong forum, so I decided to go ahead and post here.

I haven’t received my CCPixels yet, but I already feel torn for what to do with them. My initial thought was to do 4 arches @ 25 pixels each. As I was going through some old information that I’ve found, I ran across the shannonclaus.com, CCR Spiral tree and remembered how cool that was. Now I don’t know which one to do.

As my display stands right now, I have a 10 ft., 16 channel Weber spiral planned and built, minus the lights, using flaloop’s PVC design and then the 4 arches using the CCP (partially built). My dilemma is that I really liked the CCR Spiral tree, and I really don’t like the way the CCP arches look in the Visualizer. Of course, actually seeing the arches in action may change my mind.

Has anybody done arches and a spiral tree using CC devices, with both elements in their display, and if so, do you have a video that shows both in action?

Always Planning,

Ron

Ron,
I used similar pixels in my display the last two years. I certainly have not used them to their potential but you can take a look to see what was done.

Videos are on http://www.rockyrunchristmas.com/2011video.html I think our best use of the pixels on a spiral tree are near the end of the Medley (last video on the page).
The pixels were also used on the "fireworks" and the light sabers at the show opening.

hope that helps,
dave

Wow, Very nicely done. Great videos. How many strings were used on the spirals? I don't think one string will fill in quite that much.
Thanks,
Ron

Thanks Ron,
The trees were 8' tall and had 4 strings of 42 pixels. So 168 pixels total. One thing to keep in mind is that these things are Bright!

Dave

I plan to use mine to line the roof and replace 6 colours. Red, Blue, Green and White for Christmas and Orange purple and white for Halloween.

Right now they will be doing the same thing as the old lights did, no chases unless I can find the time.

I never even gave them a thought until I saw the sale.

My first year budget only allowed me to purchase 1 CCP.
So that I can learn to play with it.

That being said. I am making a little 8 sided tree with it to do fun stuff.

so far I have used the VU meter tool to make my mini-tree a "VU Meter" for the rock'n'Roll songs.

I think I've decided to do a 24', 2)string tree attached to the upper dormer. I was thinking about supporting the pixel strings on PVC. I have a small concern though about bending with that long of a run. I could use a 2" or 3" PVC, but that just seems like overkill. I would NOT like to put holes in the siding or drill into the bricks. Anybody have any ideas as to how to support them?

• The topic was locked