Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I mix Cat5 and wireless access on controllers

Guest guest

Can I use a wireless connection on certain controllers that are daisy chained to other controllers? IE: wireless to my neighbors house and then the rest of his are connected via cat5.

Since I have your attention I'll ask a related question. Do I have to daisy chain controllers together or can I connect them using a network hub?

Brian

Can I use a wireless connection on certain controllers that are daisy chained to other controllers? IE: wireless to my neighbors house and then the rest of his are connected via cat5.

Yes.

Since I have your attention I'll ask a related question. Do I have to daisy chain controllers together or can I connect them using a network hub?

No. Daisy chain only.

terces wrote:

No. Daisy chain only.

What if you used an 8 conductor cat5 splitter?

The RS485 link can only be a daisy chain and must not have Ys, stars or any other type of passive splitting. Splitting causes reflections that mess up the transmission. We would have to provide a powered splitter that would isolate the legs to allow branching without problems.

Don't assume that this is TCP/IP or Ethernet just because it uses CAT5 cable. The RS485 protocol really just uses lines 4 and 5 in the cable (white/blue and blue) because the wire pair twisting in CAT5 gives good noise rejection. So, no network hubs.

Thanks for the replys. I just didnt know if the RS485 protocol would be messed up with a hard wired splitter. It sure would be interesting if one day the LOR units could work with TCP/IP. But the biggest problem I can see with that would be the cable length (300') restriction on TCP/IP.

Happy New Year everybody.