Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR1602W conversation to 40 AMP

lleibeck

I just upgraded an out of warranty LOR1602W to 40 AMPS. I was pulling 17.5 amps which in long periods of all lights on was blowing the fuse. Figured it would be easier to upgrade than try moving the load around to other controllers and chewing up those channels.

I did not want to use the fuse holders on the board, wanted to keep as close to original as possible.

I was going to post step by step directions but was worried someone not to knowledgeable with electricity might try and either ruin their controller or worse. So here are some tips that might helps you. I purchased the new fuse holders and switch from Mouser electronics www.mouser.com
504-BK/HTB-66I-R
Cooper Bussmann Fuseholders, Clips, & Hardware
PANEL MOUNT
$3.84 each, need two

540-YRM32F2FBBNN
Cherry Electrical Rocker Switches & Paddle Switches
0.25 QC ON-OFF
$1.89

You will need to upgrade the power cords. I used the two ten foot ext cords I used to power the controller. You will also need to upgrade the jumpers using 18" of AWG 12 stranded wire and female push on terminals to make jumpers.
...and of two 20 amp fast acting fuses.

The hardest part was getting the 12 AWG neutral wires from the power cord attached to the terminal block. I tried tinning the end, but could not get it to fit.

It took me a little over an hour which included drawing a wiring schematic before thing anything part.

Be sure to relabel the box so your remember it's a 40 amp controller.

Good luck.

Lee