Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR - DMX Controlled with Lightfactory

laserdon

Recently used CCR's as part of my lighting design for a stage production of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Six CCR's outline the wings of the stage and are DMX controlled using Lightfactory and Enttec USB dongle. Everything in the video link below was done using the Macros and Effects built in the CCR controllers.

I built a CCR "fixture profile" in Lightfactory to make it easier to pick colors, macros, effects and then save them into cues for the show.

The auditorium holds 1,800 people with wide angles so after much searching found 20' pieces of Sharkbite 1" tubing cut to 16 1/2 feet would hold the CCR's perfectly and diffuse the light. I'll post pictures of how I did that if anyone is interested. It created almost 180 degree glow and a little bit of a neon effect. Also provided the additional benefit of protecting the CCR's from set pieces and cast members.

Following is a link of a shaky video demo I put together to show some of the macros and effects:

Attached files 311771=17050-GBS DRS.jpg

I'm looking to do similar with clear pvc tubing. was the pex tubing the white color or did you find a clear?
thanks,
dave

Jeff: I will try to get more pictures up later today.

Dave: I used the white. Did not see any clear at my Home Depot store but that would be a great way to protect the CCR.

Doug: Yes, this looks just like what I used except what I found was in 20' lengths so I just cut 3 1/2 ft off the end. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202033037/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=sharkbite&storeId=10051

Don

DLTSLC wrote:

Hey Don, awesome video. Go Utes :(:) :) Do you use these on your house or work only ?

:cool: This is the first time I have used the CCR's. I don't have a home display but have helped with a Christmas display in our city park and have used the Lightorama controllers in DMX mode for other productions. I also do a singing pumpkin display for our family recreation program.

Nice to meet a fellow UTE fan!

Don

Jeff Millard wrote:

laserdon wrote:

...so after much searching found 20' pieces of Sharkbite 1" tubing cut to 16 1/2 feet would hold the CCR's perfectly and diffuse the light. I'll post pictures of how I did that if anyone is interested. It created almost 180 degree glow and a little bit of a neon effect. ...

Very interested in knowing more about this tubing.

Jeff

Attached is a picture of the PEX tubing I used. It doesn't seem to have a small bend radius so I don't know how it would work for arches. I did like the way it dispersed the light.

Don

Attached files 311830=17062-IMG_0451.JPG

I mounted the CCR on plumbers tape to help me keep the CCR's from twisting and to make it easier to fish through the tubing.

Plumbers tape wants to keep it's coiled shape so I would tape each end down (17') so I could mount the CCR's with ty-wraps.

Attached files 311831=17064-IMG_0456.JPG

Putting the CCR's on the Plumbers tape. I used ty-wraps every two feet and made sure they were placed over the copper junctions. When I trimmed the excess ty-wrap I would leave 1/2" to help apply pressure to the front and keep the CCR's snug inside the PEX Tubing.

Attached files 311832=17065-IMG_0454.JPG

Testing the CCR's inside the PEX tubing.

NOTE: I left a little excess 4-6 inches of plumbers tape sticking out each side of the PEX. This way I could adjust or twist the CCR to make sure it was all even and facing forward.

Attached files 311834=17067-IMG_0453.JPG

This a closer picture of the CCR's during the production. Although the white PEX tubing does diffuse the light it still allows each pixel to be seen.

Attached files 311837=17068-LHSE DRS.jpg

laserdon wrote:

DLTSLC wrote:
Hey Don, awesome video. Go Utes ;):D:) Do you use these on your house or work only ?

:cool: This is the first time I have used the CCR's. I don't have a home display but have helped with a Christmas display in our city park and have used the Lightorama controllers in DMX mode for other productions. I also do a singing pumpkin display for our family recreation program.

Don

You mean there really ARE Ute fans??? Ha ha ha. Go COUGARS!

CKSedg wrote:

laserdon wrote:
DLTSLC wrote:
Hey Don, awesome video. Go Utes :) :) :) Do you use these on your house or work only ?

Don

You mean there really ARE Ute fans???  Ha ha ha.  Go COUGARS!

Lol!

L-Don,

Did you attempt to remove the "shark bit" lettering on the pipe??
Does anyone know if this lettering can be wiped down with any cleaner like PVC??

Dave H1 wrote:

L-Don,

Does anyone know if this lettering can be wiped down with any cleaner like PVC??

Did not try to remove the writing. I did adjust it so the writing was on the sides and back leaving about 180 degrees of the pipe with no writing. Someone mentioned that acetone might remove the writing but I haven't tried it.

Don

Oh my, a BYU fan......How about that last game, 54-7 :) Ouch! Just kidding :) The holy war continues this fall :)

My best friend lives in Farmington, so CK, when you get your display up and running, I'd love to check it out.

Laserdon, that is really awesome with the tubing, and thanks for the pictures.

laserdon wrote:

Dave H1 wrote:
L-Don,

Did not try to remove the writing. I did adjust it so the writing was on the sides and back leaving about 180 degrees of the pipe with no writing. Someone mentioned that acetone might remove the writing but I haven't tried it.

Don

Two things...

First off, what a great idea! I absolutely LOVE it! I tried some dumb RGB strips in the white PEX pipe from Lowes and what a COOL effect. It does indeed look just like glowing neon!!
I now have to find some way to incorporate this into my display!! (thank you very much! :D )

Secondly, I was able to remove the lettering with some denatured alcohol pretty easily.

Thank you for sharing!!!!!

Note: Picture brighter than actual tube. The camera really does add 10 lumen... errrr was it pounds?

Attached files 312853=17107-red neon.jpg