Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX e1.31 at last !

bretk

This looks kind of awesome, once I figure out what I can do with it, I think I will be ordering one! Right now, I am kind of like the dog that caught the tire I was chasing

Let's see, the ELOR (kit) is (currently) $95 (+$8 shipping). In addition to E1.31, it also "provide a standard wired RS485 DMX universe output." It provides 2048 "smart" channels.

On the other hand, the iDMX-1000 is $259.95. It provides 64 "intelligent" channels.

Got my order in! Pixels will be shipping on March 15, have the E681, and will be ready to play by the end of the month.

TGabriel wrote:

Who all will be using a USB to ethernet dongle for connection? What kind will you be using?

Thomas

If you are talking about the ELOR, just use the regular LOR 485b. There is a video at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1870.90.html which shows how to connect.

To me this looks awesome, how many of you are going to get these? I spend as much as I can get away with on my display, but I have to be careful in that I cannot afford to waste money on something I cannot use. I am just interested in opinions, and feedback. I really want to expand into DMX this year, and this is really looking like the right way to go.

Thanks in advance for any help

I would like to get these as well. But I am just going to wait until they get tested by more people.

I noticed in the E681 manual that cable length from controller to string can be a factor. For those that have done this - what cable lengths are practical? Just trying to figure out how close the controller has to be..

I finished soldering my ELOR last night. There was a minor hiccup because a couple of minor parts (an 8-pin IC socket and a jumper) were missing, but I found those parts elsewhere and finished it. I also wired some jumpers to pass the "unused" pairs from one RJ45 to the other.

Jim said those parts should have been there, so it must have been a glitch. He also said that he has become aware of potential uses for the spare Cat-5 pairs, so the next revision of the board will have those pins connected.

I haven't yet ordered any E1.31 devices, so I couldn't test that part, but I did test the wired DMX out. That works fine with my DMX devices from Seasonal Entertainment and Holiday Coro. There does seem to be a problem (at least when using the Hardware Utility) when using an intensity event with shimmer or twinkle. I didn't have time to fully test that last night, so hopefully today I'll be able to tell Jim how to reproduce the problem so he can fix it.

I'm very happy with the ELOR so far. Now I have E1.31 capability, and I also have a clone of the iDMX1000 for $95.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Does it occur when using DMX intensities from the console?

No, it's from the LOR Control tab.

I set the "Light Mode" to "Shimmer", which correctly made the light shimmer.

However, when I moved the intensity to lower than 100%, it stopped shimmering.

By the way, the DMX intensities seem to work correctly. I could see a difference between 0, 1, 2, and 3.

I don't remember mine doing that when I tested. I will have to go back and double check now. Will let you guys know.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Can you test and see if the Sequence Editor can fade the effects?

With the ELOR:
Fade (with shimmer) works.
Set Intensity (with shimmer) does not.

If I do a Custom with Shimmer and Intensity, the bulb goes 50% solid (no shimmer).

Have you tried the fading Shimmer with DMX in the past?
This is my first year using DMX. I just tried Shimmer with Intensity through the ENTTEC Pro. It worked, but the shimmer is so "jittery" that it's basically useless.

• The topic was locked